Customer reviews

Dark Nights Of The Soul: A guide to finding your way through life's ordeals
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2017
Thomas Moore is a practicing therapist with a broadly Jungian approach to his work. But he brings a broad and singular mix of influences and insights that combine to make his perspective in this book unique. His long experience - therapeutic, scholarly, religious, and spiritual - have provided us with a profound study, both embracing and transcending life's travails. For anyone seriously trying to come to terms with their and others' suffering, this book should be their first port of call.
on 28 June 2017
Not bad
on 18 May 2010
I'm a 23 year old who suffers bouts of deep depression - sometimes it feels like there is no way out. I was in therapy all of last year and finished a month ago. This was one of the books that came highly recommended by my therapist, so I thought I'd give it a go. When you feel depressed, it's hard to convince yourself that a book can help you - it's almost a pride thing - "Pffft - no one can help me, no one understands, so what good is a book going to do"!

However, this was just what I needed at that time, and it really opened my eyes to my condition. It comforted me and made me feel normal again - and although it didn't "cure me", it definitely put the wheels of recovery in motion.

Everyone will be able to find a section of the book that is relevant to them - I was a depressed, alcoholic musician that lacked faith in my own musical ability, and at the same time thought I was an undiscovered genius. Yes - there was an even a section about that specifically!!!

There are a lot of self help books out there that promise to rid you of depression forever, but I personally don't think they are helpful or realstic. This is a very spiritual and philosophical approach that will guide you through those dark nights of the soul, and teach you the tools to help deal with your condition.

This book really did change my life. It helped me to stop looking for happiness in all the wrong places, and whenever I'm having a bad spell this book is always within reach to help me out the other side.

PS - I'm aware this review makes me sound like a hippy who sells incense on street corners. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not!
66 Comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 March 2014
What can i say about the brilliant author Thomas Moore? I discovered his work in 2005 whilst studying for my Masters degree in Psychotherapy. I was absolutely gob smacked about the way he was able to articulate soul meaning with such depth, creativity and intimacy. I've shared his work with friends who have brought several titles of his work. I myself use Care of the Soul has one of my everyday life's reference.
In respect to Dark Nights of The Soul, it has truly been enlightening to me and has woken up and refreshed my soul! I have to say that I am truly in awe of how deep he is able to reach in and pull out what I can only describe as pure 'genius' nuggets of true life experiences and insights.
Thomas Moore undoubtedly has a natural writing gift and I thank him for giving me more depth and understanding about the way I view myself, others and the world around me. Its been and still is an absolute honour.
on 26 August 2014
Have only recently begun to read this book but it strikes a chord somewhere deep down and holds a view of much understanding on its title making it invaluable as and when it may be needed.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2012
This is not a book on depression. Sure it touches on the subject, but more than that it leads you to think deeply about your moods and value your darker thoughts. Moore suggests that we may choose to embrace the dark side, as it can give us greater perspective and make us a deeper more thoughtful and interesting person.
Moore presents a persuasive argument for trying to be more creative and using the arts or writing to express your feelings. He cites numerous examples of how truly memorable art has come from the minds of troubled souls. I particularly liked the sections dealing with anger, I thought the insights offered here were very perceptive and useful.
But wait, wait until Thomas Moore describes the incident with his grandfather, and read what follows. Suddenly his prose becomes more poetic, his descriptions succinct and his mixed feelings of pain and beauty shine through. Here Moore is truly in touch with a darkness in his own soul and I began to understand and connect with the author.
The book got even better towards the end. I loved the concepts of scintilla and numinosity, and these ideas encourage me to read more on philosophy. In all an unusual book - that tries to stop you becoming a clone and following the masses, but instead thinking more of your own Raison d'être, finding your own way, and becoming proud of your individuality.
on 15 April 2014
This book is a life saver! I've been struggling with depression/anxiety and it has held my thoughts securely when I go to bed. The chapters have small sections that make it really digestible and readable, which is just what you need when in a "dark night" as concentration can be compromised. Seriously recommend. Try "Care of the Soul" by the same author too.
on 26 December 2004
This book says it all. Thomas Moore's sensitivity, perception, humility and depth makes this work the most magical piece of literature! He explains life's entirety! His views about how to care for those dark times and heaviness that many of us experience are so insightful! Instead of being scared of the dark and running away from the shadows (and then trying to cure this "condition", something which most of us have been taught to do in society these days) he embraces them and shows us where the magic, myth and the deepest, most transforming spiritual energy hides: in the darkest abyss of nothingness. Definitely read this one!
on 22 August 2012
This book is truly enlightening. As a therapist for more than 20 years and being an eternal optimist, this has answered so many questions and enabled me to help others to an even higher degree. I had studied Jung extensively and embraced and taught the shadow side but Thomas Moore has an incredibly elegant way of introducing and actually almost seducing you to be brave enough to enter this level of understanding that is liberating. This book is now in my top ten best reads ever - and my library is very extensive!
on 30 April 2011
I bought this book recently to help me as I was experiencing some
of what I describe as dark periods. Have experienced them before
but wanted to understand more of what they meant. I found Thomas
Moore's writings honest, thoughful, helpful and insightful. I
believe he has a wealth of experience and understanding of the
human condition which we all live through. I have three of his books
and would reccomend this book to anyone who wants to honestly explore,
understand and to help themselves through their own personal life's journey.