Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2013
After seeing the Rolling Stones at Glastonbury this year and being disappointed, I decided to look at YouTube and see what they were like in the 60's. I was 13 when Brian Jones died but can remember then how I thought he was talented. After watching the old YouTube films, I now know how talented he was. I read the reviews on this book and ordered it. I couldn't put it down. It was mainly seen through Brian's point of view, but if only half of it was true, he was treated badly by Jagger and Richards. His personality came over as a man who couldn't take the control being taken away from him and his confidence dropped rapidly. It didn't take long for his plans for the group to be changed by their new young manager and the stronger personalities of Jagger and Richards. He founded the group, got the gigs and even stole to get them onto the ladder and in the end they took it all away from him. I found it very interesting reading
on 27 January 2013
This is not only a very good biography, it is one that is exceedingly difficult to find in the US. The only reason why it doesn't have five stars is because it, like EVERY other bio on him that I've read, doesn't delve enough into his family background and childhood. That's where all the explanations lie. But well worth reading!
on 11 January 2013
I was gripped by this book from the start. The books shows a different Brian Jones to that portrayed in the media. If this book is to be believed then the UK lost a very talented and forward thinking musician whose death was never fully investigated.
on 17 August 2013
I got this for my wife who is a massive Stones fan. She would always talk about the tragedy of Brian Jones murder (which I truly believe was Frank Thorogood)

I read the book after my wife and found it very interesting and didn't realise what a musical genius Brian Jones was. I wont say to much about it. Buy it you wont be dissapointed
on 23 June 2015
This was an excellent read, fully deserving in my view the 5* rating. This is one of the first books that I have read that puts Brian Jones's point of view. It is now forty years since Brian tragically died, and most of the stories state that it was alcohol and drug induced. Laura Jackman paints a picture of a much maligned and misunderstood musician. The fact is that he was The Rolling Stones. Laura fortunately steers a careful line between giving the whole book over to musical insights that are incomprehensible to the non-musical mind, you can read Keith Richards book for that, and also not to make it into a long essay on how Brian died, and the evil forces that were at play. I found it a very sad book, that a man who appeared to have so much talent should die in such a tragic way, and my feelings about the remaining Rolling Stones and their attitude, and perhaps their contribution to his lack of well being, will certainly cloud and influence my thoughts when I next hear or see them.
A very good read.
on 19 April 2015
This was an excellent portrayal of the life and untimely death of one of our greatest rock legends.....Brian Jones was 'The Stones' and this book does him justice.....Rock on Brian, a true musical genius
on 23 June 2014
great book a must read for Brian Jones fans,Rolling Stones fans music fans,anybody interested should read this book.Too many discrepancies surrounding his death.why did they get away with murder.well done to the author.
on 26 March 2014
My son likes biographies and particularly of the famour rolling stones and beatles (my era) so it was bought as a present for him.. He loved it.
on 12 August 2014
Excellent insight into misunderstood icon. Great read, tragic story.
on 15 August 2014