on 13 February 2012
Yes, if you have read GTD then you don't absolutely need to read this. There is a little bit more of the 'why' in this one, and slightly less of the 'how', but they both cover the same ground for the most part.

But reading this was better than re-reading GTD again, mainly because the newness of the words meant that I had to pay attention rather than skim. At the same time, reading it felt like coming home - I cringe to write this, but it's true. I don't enthuse over other self-help books, but David Allen is just great.
on 4 July 2016
I purchased this a couple of years after reading the main GTD book, hoping that it would help me tidy up areas that weren't working yet & help inspire me. However, I just found it a hard & dry read. Eventually I took it abroad as my only book to ensure I finished it! I knew after the final page that it wouldn't be something I'd go through again, so made some notes & gave it away. For me, it just didn't really add enough value over the original book.
on 2 January 2014
If you are looking for just one book by David Allen on GTD, this is the one to get. Although it doesn't go into as much detail as Getting Things Done on the GTD processes, it does a much better job of showing how things fit together.

If you have already read Getting Things Done, there might be some good additional info, but I am not sure if it justifies the extra cost in both money and time.
on 26 July 2012
If you are already doing the Getting Things Done process and would like to get further into the mindset, then Making It All Work is great background and reinforcement. Where Getting Things Done focusses on the details of the process, Making It All Work steps back and looks at how the various levels fit together. Great if you want to get more strategic.

Also the appendices are excellent reference, containing checklists for incompletion triggers, project planning triggers, the GTD workflow, the weekly review and the levels of focus.
on 22 June 2013
This is a good book. It takes many of the areas where gtd didn't have much detail and improves them. In particular the more philosophical end is greatly improved, less ubiquitous capture devices, more helping you decide what you should do with your life.

His horizons of focus are a little forced, but if you take the time to introspectively think about life in those brackets it does offers a practical methodolgy for making progress towards your goals. The case study of 'gracies garden' is particularly useful in this regard as it clarifies neatly how you should see the different levels.
on 28 April 2016
The book is okay.
I bought it because I already had David Allen's book Getting Things Done, and the reviews for Making It All Work were good.
I have found it too wordy for me which I find hard work to read and although I have introduced a few of the things in both books, it certainly has not help make any real changes my life.
on 27 February 2013
No one can say that David Allen doesn't lay out a compelling argument for getting organised.

In some ways this book is an update to getting things done as much as it is a follow-up.

You can pick up everything in the book without any prior knowledge of the GTD methods and practices.

Highly recommended.
on 24 August 2016
This book is absolutely not suitable for listening. You should read it and takes notes but one loses track of all advice while listening.
on 20 October 2014
Feels more like evangelism than non-fiction at times, but some good tips nonetheless. I'd find it fairly hard to recommend this to someone who hadn't read and really connected with "Getting Stuff Done".
on 24 March 2015