on 1 January 2013
I work with a lot of separated or separating parents. We have to acknowledge that the vast majority of parents want to protect their children from the effects of divorce but find the advice of well meaning emotive friends confusing and the demands of the legal system and financial considerations damaging. This book enables parents to priortise the needs of their children and consider their own health and well being during extremely stressful times.
on 8 May 2017
Bought this for my Son who is experiencing difficulties with past relationships. He's found the book a great source of guidance and support.
on 21 October 2011
I found this book really helpful and not just with the children in mind, it also helped with emotions/feeling the parents go through. At first I skimmed the book all the way through and know that I will refer to it again and again when specific issues arise.
on 15 October 2014
This is a brilliant book which helped me through a difficult time - not least helping me understand how my ex felt, and have sympathy for her, despite all the awful things she had done
on 21 May 2014
I felt the book was easy to read with useful advice tried and tested by the authors, supported by anecdotes from client's personal stories regarding relationship breakup, stages to recovery and how to support children through a difficult and emotional time.
on 20 October 2014
Great advice for a very tricky area. The book helped me gain a reasoned, pragmatic perspective and to rise above the selfishness and petty resentments that can get in the way of dealing with issues relating to children while hurting from a breakup. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone separating (to get an appreciation and 'heads up') or for those already separated to keep an even keel. Those in the counselling profession could probably pick up a tip or two also. It definitely helped my perspective a huge amount and gave me clear suggestions on what works and to 'putting the children first'. Quite invaluable. Thank you to the Woodall's.
on 9 June 2012
An excellent support for all parents, not just separated ones. Even in the most amicable of situations this highlights the need for parents, grandparents and all other extended family members to remember that children are innocent and will always love both parents regardless of personality or actions. Also good tips on how to keep communicating even in the most painful of situations.
on 22 June 2016
This book really helped me and my ex through our break up. I sent him a copy when I felt unable to communicate with him and it changed his attitude completely.
on 21 April 2010
I work professionally with families and children. This is, in my opinion, the best book for separating parents that is on the market. It focuses absolutely on the needs of the children and it REALLY understands both the positions of mothers and fathers, which are quite different.
on 25 August 2007
I have just finished reading this book and wish I had been able to read it two years ago when I was going through a nasty divorce. My children suffered horribly all through the process because I was an emotional wreck and was obsessed with getting my own back on their dad. Two years on and I can look back and see what I did wrong - if I had had this book then I would have known that what I was feeling was normal but that I didn't need to react as I did. Their dad was to blame for the end of our relationship not them and he did want to keep seeing them and spending time with them but I couldn't let them as I was so angry. Now they see him rarely and I know that they miss him. If you are going through divorce, read this and get your ex to read it. Children don't deserve to be caught up in their parents mess.
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse