Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2017
Good book, lots of common sense in there about leadership. Did he tell me anything I didn't know, not sure. But I definitely feel inspired after reading it. I like to think of myself as a heretic, which is why the book resounded so well with me. I agreed with his philosophy and loved all the examples in the book too. It was amazing and awe inspiring to read about so many different leaders - ones who's businesses I already knew of and yet hadn't heard their stories. This is a great book for anyone who has an idea and wants to lead a change.
on 4 August 2017
I've heard the word "leadership" thrown about so much. However, I didn't quiet have a solid picture of what it actually meant, how it looked and how I could use it. Seth used many examples of leaders, simple terminology and many different prospects to really educate people on the whole topic of leadership! Recommend this book for anyone looking to lead a movement/business/church/protest or anyone looking to be lead by the right person!
on 22 July 2017
A collection of thoughts and blog posts. Didn't really develop the idea of building a tribe or how to do it. Not Seth's best work. Buy his, 'Icarus Deception' instead
on 23 June 2017
Overall thesis is interesting, if you can stomach the first 70 pages does get slightly better. Read the blurb, wouldn't really bother with book itself.
Lazy structure to the book. One of the worst I've read recently.
on 21 June 2017
Absolutely Brilliant Book - so inspirational.
Written in an easy style to read as well.
on 1 May 2017
Great book- must read for people awakening there purpose to lead and make a difference in the world in their time here
on 23 July 2017
What I enjoyed most was that it is that it gets straight to the point - it respects the busy person's time. No waffle.
on 12 February 2010
I found this book frustrating and inspirational at the same time. Anyone who expects a textbook on how to become a leader will feel disappointed. Anyone who ever had a strong conviction and found an excuse not to push the idea, like me, will feel guilty. Anyone who still has a strong conviction in an idea, or in themselves, will find inspiration.

I don't exactly know what Seth's motives with the structure of the book is, but the blurb on the back cover perhaps says it all "Tribes is for those who don't want to be sheep and instead have a desire to do fresh and exciting work". Fresh and exciting per definition cannot follow a tried and trusted recipe. So don't expect one from Seth. Apply your own intellect and knowledge to the hints, reassurances, admonishments, and challenges in this book, and you WILL find value. But only if you are willing to do most of the thinking work yourself.

In a 2010 interview, Seth said about his own writing that it becomes better if he writes like he talks. He is predisposed to an audience who understands what he talks about, as opposed to an audience who needs twice as much explanation. I think in his writing he is focusing on the act of "tightening his tribe" rather than succumbing to the temptation of making the tribe bigger - page 44, "Tighter".

After all, not everyone wants to be a leader. If you don't want to be one, don't read the book.

Final thought - halfway through the book, I couldn't help but recognise a strong correlation between "Tribes" and the story of Jesus as told in the four Gospels. Uncanny how incredibly well Jesus fits his description of a tribal leader .... Seth is a modern Apostle.
on 26 November 2008
Seth Godin has captured the story of many of us out on the web. People who have gathered like minded individuals through sharing, through leadership. Anyone can do this if they want to. This is not a self help book, it is a series of anecdotes that should empower anyone to just get on with it.
For me it is the story of my tribe eigthbar in virtual worlds retold through countless other stories.
The changes are already happening, we are already all connected and able to form these tribes and movements. We can all make the difference we need to, just by doing it.
on 29 October 2008
Seth Godin has written a short, inspirational book about leadership, communities and change. The book won't give you many concrete tools or approaches on how to become a leader or effect change in your organization, but it does inspire you to become a leadership figure and find your tribe.

Throughout the book Godin skillfully dissects management and shows how it's not synonymous with leadership. This aspect of the book alone makes it a must-read for all who are managers or who work for managers that aren't leaders.

Tribes won't turn you into a leader, but it will inspire you to try.