Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 August 2015
Fred has attitude up to her green hair, more prickierly than a hedgehog but funny with it, if your after something alittle different form your vampire & werewolf lovers give this book a go I'm sure you'll love as much as I do.
on 6 July 2015
Love this. Book
on 5 June 2007
The book for me started out very good. I was fascinated by fred and the concept of an overlooked genre. This soon began to escilate into a very rushed and unsure story. I got the impression that this whole book was just an experiment on the authors part. characters were rapidly introduced and left to linger without any real depth to them. I found that I read this book very quickly as it was a very light book in terms of pages and words per page. The male interests were completly unsexy as they appeared more to be school kids scrapping than engaging individuals that they should have been. This was dissapointing to me as was the fact that freds mermaid secret wasn't kept very secret and those who did find out just seemed to shrug it off!!! wouldn't you be a little bit shocked by meeting a mermaid? I do have to say that Fred was spot on with character development as was her best friend jonas who I believed to be the true male interest of the piece (loved his side story).

On the whole a commendable effort that was for the most part enjoyable.. Just could have done with having some more time spent on it to flesh it out. it felt unfinished.
on 16 March 2007
Another laugh-out-loud novel from MJD. As in the review, Fred is a very likeable, sarcastic half human,half mermaid who is oblivious to her appeal to the opposite sex. When the Prince of the Black Sea arrives in town at the same time as a fellow marine biologist with a mermaid fetish, Fred finds herself kissed and grabbed whichever way she turns! The secondary characters are well developed and the author has obviously laid the groundwork for another series of books. Both of Fred's suitors are sexy as hell and I can't wait for the next installment.
on 28 May 2007
I found this to be a pleasant diversion but nothing more, with 'thin' characters and a rush to the end of the book. Not inclined to bother with any of the author's other books.
on 24 March 2007
When a friend at a book store recommended me this I wasn't so sure. But, I'm glad I did. The plot is great and I love the characters. Fred seems more realistic then some characters you read about in these types of books.. minus the tail and green/blue hair. I love how she reacted to the mens attention, very different from the usual thing. This is a great book to read for a laugh. I really am looking forward to the next one in the series :D
on 13 January 2007
Hubby bought me this for christmas but was having second thoughts after watching me fail to breathe from laughing so hard!!!

I was hooked on this book by the first page and didn't move from the sofa till the last :o)

You'll love all the characters but Fred is just a blast, now all we need is a sequal.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2010
Sleeping With The Fishes is the first book in the `Fred the Mermaid' series by MaryJanice Davidson. This book had me giggling non-stop.

Fred is a force to be reckoned with, by that I mean she doesn't do what other people tell her to do, she's very unique and holds her own. She reminds me of Betsy from MaryJanice Davidson's `Queen Betsy' series. They have similar attitudes in that they are always right and everyone around them is wrong and they are both outstandingly funny with their dry wit humour. That's as close as the comparison gets. Fred doesn't do dating but she soon finds herself two suitors. Oh how will she choose?

My favourite part of the book was when Fred turns into a mermaid for the first time in the book. I loved The Little Mermaid growing up so it was great to read about the transformation rather than viewing it as a cartoon on the television. I also love the colour of her hair - it sounds funky.

My favourite part of the book has to be when Fred is alone with either of her suitors in a one on one situation. I think it's hilarious how she reacts around men that find her attractive and aren't put off by her mannerisms or crass language. Another favourite scene of mine was at the beginning with Fred and her parents. I think that was the most funniest thing I have read about in a long time. I would never personally want it to happen to me as I think I would die from embarrassment but it was so funny reading about it happening to Fred.

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoyed the `Queen Betsy' series (which I thought was fantastic). There is so much humour in these books that it astounds me, I am literally giggling every time I turn the page. MaryJanice Davidson you are a comedian god. The books aren't that long either so you can enjoy at least one a day or more if you wanted to.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.
on 26 December 2009
The first in the `Fred the Mermaid' trilogy and my first read of a Mary Janice Dickinson book- so I'll be as objective as I can.

I loved this book's starting chapters- the first chapter actually had me laughing out loud and there's no denying it's a fresh new take on the `chick lit' genre; Fred (Fredrika) Bimm is a grumpy human-mermaid hybrid in a world where human's don't realise what lives in their oceans. She's also a marine biologist at the New England Aquarium- and without her tail isn't the strongest of swimmers. Oh yeah... and she's allergic to shellfish.

When a sexy merman (`Undersea folk') turns up and says he needs her help, she's perturbed, but certainly attracted to Artur, then there's also the problem of the gorgeous Thomas Pearson, a new colleague who certainly seems to have more than a passing interest in her too.

This book has a great cast of characters- Fred's parents provide comedy value, as do her best friend Jonas and her strict boss, Dr Barb. The romantic triangle is interesting but not too exciting if I'm honest. I found that Fred gets a little irritating after a while- how on earth can two such sexy men be interested in such an offhand, grumpy woman? In this book the supporting characters have more of a personality than she does, which is a shame. It also seems like the real `action' is all crammed into the last quarter of the book.

In summary, I think that a lot more could have been made of the story- but if you want a pleasant quirky read to pass a couple of hours and don't have too high expectations, then this is for you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 September 2011
Dr Fredrika (Fred) Bimm is a marine biologist who suffers from sea sickness. A small irony compared to the fact she is a mermaid and whilst she is superb in water with her tail, she is unable to swim in her human form. Her love life is nonexistent, as is her best friends Jonas' (but that's another story as he's in love with Fred's work colleague Barb), the fish she looks after are on hunger strike unless she plays them The Petshop Boys and there's unpleasant waste being pumped into the sea. Oh Fred's also accidently revealed her mermaid form to new colleague Thomas Pearson, and she's visited by High Prince Artur of the Black Sea. Of course both profess to fall in love with her, and of course Fred doesn't know which man (or merman) she likes best.

MJD always writes a good, light-hearted romance and the first in her mermaid series is no exception. Fred is definitely less ditzy (thankfully) than Queen Betsy and made of sterner stuff as she takes new challenges on board and doesn't suffer from anxiety attacks or bout of paranoia as she goes about fixing those problems she can. Instead the humorous but embarrassing social gaffes surround her interaction with her mom; a laid back hippie type whose antics make Fred want to rip her own eyeballs out. 3½ stars