Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2016
I love these stories. Buying them one at the time to savour the stories.
on 2 June 2017
Enjoyed the on going sG
on 11 October 2000
Though unfortunatly not as explicit in her sex scenes as some of the previous Bar Cynester series there is still something deliciously compelling about Gabriel and the chemistry between himself and 'the countess'. I don't find it so unbelievable that he didn't deduce her identity immeadiatly - people see what they expect to see and Gabriel had got too used to his 'uncomfortable' reaction to Alathea that his different reaction to 'the countess' was bound to throw him off. Poor Lucifer - he can run but he can not hide. And I can't wait to see what the twins do, I hope that they remain as astute and determined as they have been, then again I can't see them being coy - not from this family!
on 19 November 2000
I would recommend it to any historical romance fan. Great fun, loads of emotion, laughs and plot. The only thing is ... I haven't found a Chillingworth title yet so come on SL!
on 9 March 2013
A overpowering debt that will ruin her family drives Lady Alathea Morwellan to seek help from her childhood friend and combatant Rupert (Gabriel) Cynster. Except that she feels she can only do so disguised as a Widowed Countess to ensure that she gains his full support, and he doesn't just leave the matter to his men of business.

As is always obvious with the Bar Cynster he will of course seek, and claim a reward ... her.

His desires get higher along with the stakes and eventually thanks to the mistake of a tweenie she reveals herself to him in a ballroom, simply by the perfume she has used in error.

Eventually sufficient proof to get the debt overturned is obtained, and both declare their love ... apparently not something easy to obtain from a Cynster.

It made me cry ... a 5 stars from me.
on 15 August 2003
This is the third Cynster book I've read, would like to marry Vane & Chillingworth, or even our hero Gabriel. Nice to see Chillingworth appear in this book, along with Gabriel's very enticing cousins - u have to feel pity for poor old Lucifer, your time will come! .The social whirl our delightful hero (yum yum) and heroine are involved in, provides a good backdrop to the steamy love story, played out in this book.
Gabriel is sufficiently manly, whilst having a cute soft side, the message with the flowers makes a nice touch.
This is a good read, that you wont want to put down until the end, I had many a distracted conversation!
Go forth and enjoy, but only if this type of book floats your boat.
on 3 January 2013
I like the hero but the women are strong and know their minds until the heros sweep them off their feet finally!!!!
This is a family series and the men are hansome and wonderful, running away from marriage and love. but when Love hits they except it hole heartedly. I have read around 15 of stephanie's books and enjoyed them all. she reminds me of Georgette Heyer in that you get a story, good writing, good characters and a good laugh as well.
on 5 May 2001
Another fantastic novel in the Cynster series, sizzling - just as we would expect from such a compelling series.Can't wait to tuck into Lucifer's story...if only I could tuck into him instead!
on 15 August 2000
I was so excited to receive this book that I got up early this morning and read it first thing - I was even late for work for it! While the elements of the stereotypical 'bodice-ripper' are all certainly there, the entertaining manner of writing and the fleshing out of some secondary characters was what I really enjoyed. I particularly liked the development of Chillingworth towards the end, and the twins' 'offensive' against Gabriel and Lucifer made me nearly laugh out loud! While overall not as steamy as some of the earlier books, still definitely worth purchasing for any Cynster fan.
on 16 February 2012
Stephanie Laurens has done it again! Funny, sexy and oh so wonderful to escape with on the train! Her caharacters are believable and Its great to see other Cynsters I had fallen in love with before pop in and out confirming the over reaching plot of the importance of family, and the desire to protect the women folk who are by no means push-overs! I HIGHLY recommend "A Secret Love"