Customer reviews

A Rogue's Proposal: Number 4 in series (Bar Cynster)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 May 2014
While this book features your average Cynster – arrogant, dominant, unwilling to commit to one woman and terrified of the words ‘I love you’ – I was glad to see that it finally seemed to deviate a little from the previous three efforts.
Harry Cynster, mostly known as Demon, flees London and its flock of women of marriageable age, terrified that he too might fall prey to the shackles of marriage, like three others of the Bar Cynster have done so far. Things don’t quite work out that way, of course, since the moment he arrives at his stables in the country he spies Felicity – Flick – Parteger, disguised as a boy and riding one of his best horses. Flick is trying to uncover a syndicate that fixes horse-races, something which the son of her ward has managed to get himself involved in, so when Demon finds this out he has to get involved, being the Cynster he is.
I liked Flick, up to a point. Determined, unafraid and rarely intimidated by Demon she pretty much does as she pleases, much to Demon’s exasperation. He is used to instant and unquestioning obedience, after all. Demon is, as said, a typical Cynster. I still have to roll my eyes at a man who is supposedly your typical alpha-male, yet too macho to admit that it is possible to love just one woman, but I did like the fact that he accepts that Flick can’t be reined in, so rather than trying to do so he just follows her to try and mitigate any possible damage she does or danger she gets herself in.
What I didn’t like about Flick was her lack of common sense. At one point she hares off to follow the one man they know is involved in the race-fixing, taking a room in an inn while disguised as a young widow. So far so good. Demon follows her, of course, and ends up in her room. Another man tries to approach this obviously rich and therefore appealing young widow, and is rebuffed by Demon. At this point no one knows who the widow is, but Flick is daft enough to show herself to the other man, who is then free to tell everyone that Demon is alone in a room with Felicity Parteger. The times being as they are, this means her reputation is ruined, and it irked me that Flick didn’t have the sense to realise that. Instead she stubbornly maintains that nothing happened, so nothing is wrong.
Still, on the whole this was an entertaining read. The sex scenes were as always steaming hot, and there was enough deviation from the previous novels to not make this a repeat of what happened before.
on 18 September 2012
Here I go again...this the my 4th collection of the Cynster Novel! Although they are rather expensive to download onto my kindle (£4.49 per book), I cannot bear the thought of missing out on the story.

Stephanie Lauren is very good at making the Cynster men so sexy. Demon Cynster is cool!! A little too cool for me though, plus he worries too much about what the fashionable society will say. The story does revolve round the horse racing syndicate and breeders. Less love scenes when compared to Richard Cynster's story ( Book 3). Enjoyable but I preferred Ms Laurens' last three Cynster books more. However, I would still recommend this book......
on 5 February 2018
Great book. Great delivery
on 3 November 2012
As a recent convert to this author I thoroughly enjoyed this book, good flowing style of writing which holds the interest of the reader from the first pages. Another excellent story by Stephanie Laurens!! I don't think her heroine might have behaved like this in real times but never the less a good tale.
on 27 March 2015
Stephanie Laurens fantastic author. I have bought and read everyone of her books and loved them all you will not be disappointed highly recommended
on 25 July 2017
Great
on 20 February 2015
As expected from stephanie Laurens brilliant book. Have read this several times and always enjoy it. Get a real feel for the period, just love it.
on 26 October 2014
As the other books in this series, very readable. Nice to keep in touch with earlier members of the family
on 3 September 2014
I love the Cynsters, they are such a marvellous family. What a shame we do not have more men like them around !
on 15 February 2016
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse