Customer reviews

on 31 January 2003
Girls Poker night is a funny, heartwarming tale of Ruby and her world. It's a journey that we can all relate to especially as each poker night reveals a little bit more of the highs and lows of Ruby and her friends. It's a fast-paced read that you will not want to put down. Jill Davis weaved a poignant story about courage and the search for happiness. I pick this book up frequently just to get a giggle. I highly recommend this book - it's like spending a weekend with old friends.
on 31 March 2002
Wonderful, witty and wise. First novels don't get THIS good! The author is a pro. She wrote for David Letterman for many years. And it shows. The book is so smart and funny. It's also got style, class, substance and a solid story of risk at its centre. I highly, highly suggestthis book. You'll read it twice in one weekend even though I have a life.
on 3 March 2002
What a fun read. I devoured this book in a weekend. Ruby Capote and her mates take on the game of poker, and learn more about life the I expected them to. This is a moving, funny book that takes you deep into friendship, love and growing up. I actually laughed outloud.
on 3 April 2002
Bridget's American cousin. She's a little wiser, a little less morose, and just as funny. Ruby Capote and Bridget would be best friends if they ever met. There is a great story at the heart of this romantic comedy. This is a first person account of a young woman on the verge of maturity, falling in love and testing her own ability to go after a 'happy ending' The first line of the book says:"Happy endings aren't for cowards." I laughed. I related. And I read it twice in the course of a week even though I have a job and a squeeze.
on 21 January 2003
I loved this novel. I felt like the author was reading my journal and transcribing it. I can't remember the time I related so much to so many characters. It was an absolute hoot. Ruby and her friends learn that the only chance at true happiness is learning to take risks. In order to reach their potential, they have to risk growing up. My only complaint is that the book is too short and I missed the characters once it was over. So savor every page.
on 21 January 2003
Jill Davis takes the reader on a hilarious yet touching journey with Ruby, the main charater. Her writing is so poignant that it's easy to relate to Ruby and her view on reality. Ruby and her friends gather for a weekly poker night that takes you into the fears and insecurities that we all have with great humor. And we also learn how differently some of us deal with life's challanges. In the end, Jill Davis is right: "Happy endings aren't for cowards." I couldn't put it down. It is a delightfully funny, fast-paced read that was like spending a weekend with old friends. You need to read this book - I still pick it up and read some lines for a good laugh! I highly recommend it!!
on 28 October 2009
Hilarious and refreshing. Ruby has commitment issues but she deals with all her neuroses with wry humour. A witty, easy read. The characters have real depth. I enjoyed it so much I didn't want it to end.