on 3 February 2018
Over rated. I bought this book after reading a review which stated it was better than Alan Carr's weight control book. In my opinion it doesn't come close. It's boring, uninspiring and full of analytical studies presenting same old ideas. I didn't even finish it. In comparison I've read Alan Carr's book and returned to eat on the occasions I've felt I needed a psychological boost. It helped me change the way I eat and solved a childhood long battle of unsuccessful diets and yo-yoing weight. Martha Beck 4-Day Win, is a no win. If I could rate it minus one star, I would. Waste of money.
on 13 October 2017
I like many of the ideas in here, but if you really want to do all the 4 day wins in here, it would take months!
It is funny, and definitely helps you to feel better about yourself, but I'm not convinced enough to follow the programme.
on 6 February 2014
This is a great different approach to losing weight and in life in general. Love it though I am still not disciplined enough to stick to it entirely. Still I am undoing many years of useless habits. Can start quickly and then go back for the details. The exercises I have done do work and I feel calmer around food.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 December 2007
I really found this book a revelation. I've been on (and off) diets for 35 years - and sometimes I even lose a bit of weight, but this book gives you the insights to really understand and then change your behaviour. I know this sounds cheesy in the extreme but I do think it's a compassionate, life-changing book.
If you're interested in why you're overweight and sick of rushing from one diet to the next, this book is definitely worth a look. It's interesting, funny and moving.
30 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2015
A good read which encourages you to re-evaluate your lifestyle.
on 30 March 2013
This book is not a easy solution to weight issues, but it helps you to take time away from food ,weight obessions and focus on being kind to yourself.
on 17 October 2014
Great
on 26 March 2015
Not clear enough instruction-Good humour but would not recommend (not just 4 days lengthy process)
One person found this helpful
on 20 May 2016
Ok
on 18 June 2007
This is not your average diet book - don't flick to the end to find the recipes and exercises because you'll be disappointed when you find there are none.

Deciding to treat her readers like grown ups, Beck tells us we know how to eat and live to lose weight - we just don't do it. That's what this book is about - giving you the tools to to change your habits for ever - just 4 days at a time.

I can't tell you whether it works (you'd have to ask those around me) and I've been reading it on and off for the past couple of weeks but have just started the exercises. What I can tell you is I haven't laughed at a book so much in a long time - and I've never laughed at a diet book!

Give it a go and you too will find yourself imagining little 2 inch tinpot dictator versions of yourself and having arguments with the other half of your brain to do some exercise when it wants to drool at some bloke on the tv instead!
34 people found this helpful