on 15 October 2001
I loved this book. Sensible no nonsense advice and recipes for balanced, healthy nutrition for the whole family. Favourite recipe: immune boosting soup and it's delicious too. There is something for all the family. Vegetarian, dairy free, wheat free diets are also catered for. Advice on alternatives to formula milk. An invaluable companion to What Should I Feed My Baby? by Suzannah Oliver. Result: There are no fussy eaters in this family. I personally kept well clear of Annabel Karmel and her silly face shaped potato cakes.
on 5 February 2003
This book helped me develop the confidence to put together a healthy diet for my baby. The recipes are great, but there's more - I quickly learned to adapt them and come up with my own meal plans which suit our lifestyle. This is not just for Über-mums who would rather be seen dead than buy baby food in jars - you learn to read the labels and reject the rubbish. The book also has a great and easy-to-read section on the building blocks of nutrition - I learned a thing or two about my own dietary requirements!
on 19 November 2006
My two boys are now 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 and I still use recipes from this book. Particular favourites are the quick-and-easy pasta recipes, which really are quick and easy. There are also loads of ideas for pizza toppings, sandwich fillings and baked potato fillings. The start of the book makes a good reference section with information about nutrition and various useful ingredients you might not come across everyday, except in a wholefood shop.

My only reservation is that, despite the evidence from research studies, Lucy Burney doesn't seem to be aware of the nutritional benefits of breastfeeding past one year. Nevertheless I feel this book is a great resource. It's a good alternative to the Annabel Karmel books, which use a lot of wheat and dairy and seem to encourage you to cook meals for kids which are different to those eaten by the adults. I know this approach is very popular but I don't believe in making extra work for myself!
on 26 January 2002
The receipes are varied and split into different age groups up to 1 year +. It is difficult to know what to feed your child at this early stage -especially good nutritious food - the book gives you great ideas. The only point I would like to critisise the book on is the inclusion of kiwi fruit in a receipe for (6-9 months) I gave my baby the recipe and he took a bad allergic reaction to it. Funnily enough after it happended I read in a women's magazine and national paper that kiwi fruit was causing allergic reactions in a number of people - so much so that a reasearch group has been set up to investigate. For these reasons I do not think it is a good idea to include it as a food in the book, particularly in that age group.
on 16 September 2015
A very Vegetarian/Vegan way of cooking but hey they use very effective ingredients that have all the vitamins and minerals we need. Its just us who arent brave enough to go out and buy these types of foods, make thm for our familys and stick to it, where too used to junk foods, ready sauces and oven chips. Its funny because after eating an 'oven chip and nuggets meal' my enegry starts to drop, its called 'Empty Food' not junk food!

Good Book. Lets get brave and change our Family Diet! :@ )
on 23 February 2015
Amazing book. I used it when my boys were little (6 mths-5 yrs) and I now buy it for every friend I know who has a baby. Just fab, and what's so great is that it has healthy recipes for the whole family to eat as well as nutrition facts, figures and foods that contain those nutrients/vitamins. All very accessible and realistic for a committed but busy mom.
on 4 August 2015
We've had this book for 15 years and it is fantastic! I wanted to post a review because my daughter made one of the recipes today (Terri's Carrot Cake) which reminded me of what a wonderful book this is. Our book is well thumbed and falls open on the Banana Birthday Cake recipe - the pages are a bit dirty and covered in food as we've re-used this recipe time and time again the 15 years we've had the book (we sometimes add stevia sweetened chocolate pieces!) Thank you Lucy for writing such good advice and finding such good recipes!
on 14 May 2006
I was a little disappointed when I received this. It is very much a book about weaning, which I wasn't expecting. I have a 2 year old and was hoping for some new ideas, but in fact the book is about 80% given over to weaning babies, with a few recipes at the very end for 'over 1 year'. In saying that if you are after a book on weaning, then I would recommend it, very comprehensive and easy to read.
on 2 December 2007
I bought this book as I am due to wean my second child and wanted something different to the Annabel Karmel books. On the whole the recipes are sound, however, and it is a big however, there is some out of date advice which I was disappointed by as it undermines the other, good, advice contained in the book. For example, the UK government guidelines are for exclusive breastfeeding and weaning onto solids at six months, not the 4 mentioned in the book. Also it recommends using goats milk formula as an alternative to cow milk formula, but goat milk formula is considered inadequate nutritionally (see Department of Health website). The book advises to use cow milk based formula imported from France as it contains essential fatty acids, however most if not all common supermarket brands now contain fatty acids. The latest reprint of this book is 2007 so there's been some sloppy publishing/editing going on. Please bring this book up to date!
on 29 January 2005
This book is easy to read and, on the whole, offers good advice. The print is in blue throughout.
My critism is that he makes bold, and incorrect statements, such as "Breast-feeding for longer than a year has more to do with comfort and mother/child bond than nutritional content and so is entirely a question of personal choice". There is overwhelming evidence that this is simply not the case. The World health organisation recommend to breast-feed until two, with good reason, in particular for the immune system. She also states that at nine months old solids should take over as the primary source of nutrition.
What she suggests in terms of cutting down on breast-milk before one year is not optimum nutrition. Normal for our country perhaps, but not optimum.
Apart from that though....it is pretty good!