Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2010
This man's work seems to me to be one of those growth points in human culture that don't crop up too often. He's making enormously beneficial mind-training techniques available to ordinary western(ised) people, without the cultural and religious associations of their origins, which can be very challenging for most of us. I mean, you don't have to be a Zen master to benefit from this!
What I like about his approach is that it is so simple and down-to-earth. It's not "alternative," it's here-and-now, everyday, (yet demanding.)
Seems to me if more westerners used his insights and techniques, not only would they feel better about themselves and their lives (I do, already)but the planet might be a safer place to live. Maybe that's pitching it a bit high - but give it a shot and see if you agree.
The book is beautifully lucid. I think most of us need some other additional regular guidance and structure to make mindfulness part of our everyday - well, I do, anyway - but more courses are springing up, and no doubt the CDs help.
But it's not a magic bullet - it takes time and application, and in a funny way, it's quite hard work. And I think it's worth getting into it even if you are not depressed or in pain, ahead of the times when you have to face suffering, yours or someone else's - because it adds so much to ordinary life.
It has taught me to question and adapt or change some of my characteristic responses - or at least to start doing so - and that's not always comfortable. But it really is worth it.
If you're a sceptical rationalist like me, be reassured - this man isn't a freaky guru, he's a trained scientist, a genuine teacher. This isn't a cult. It won't claim to change your life in a flash. But if you give it a chance - it really will help, with a lot of - "stuff." And it can actually be very enjoyable.
0Comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2002
A wonderful and practical book. Merely reading it brings a sense of calm and takes one away from the troubles of daily life. Puts everything into perspective. Should be a must for every one, the world would be a better place if it was.
11 comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 1996
If you have ever wondered about meditaion and its possible
benefits to your hectic life, but have been put off
by its mystical, religious or paranormal associations
in the popular culture, author Jon Kabat-Zin offers a
gentle, secular introduction to the art of Being Here Now.
"Now" is the present moment in which, with mindfulness, we
can act with volition and not automaticity; to not simply
react robotically, but break the cause-and-effect chain of
external and internal stimuli. "Now" is where we can become
authentically ourselves, and marshal our full potential.
But focusing in the "Now", being aware without reacting,
without abstractly analyzing, takes practice. Kabat-Zin
shows us how to find our "Now" in the sensation of our
breathing, either during meditation practice or in a
mindful pause just before a meal. Then he shows us how
to carry mindfulnes into the activity of our daily lives,
so that we may find ourselves naturally proceding along
"The Way". Throughout, Kabat-Zin's narrative and personal
references are totally credible, evoking a surprisingly
accessible intimacy with the reader. You will enjoy and
benefit from this book even if you never sit on a pillow
to meditate, but you will gain even more if you do.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2004
For anyone wishing to start meditating and practicing mindfulness this book is all you need. It's full snippets of wisdom from other authors, and practical exercises to get you started. An excellent guide for us non-spiritual westerners.
on 16 January 1999
This book can teach you how to meditate but that's not the point. More importantly, while reading this book, you ARE meditating. You can be stressed, distracted, emotionally raw, fearful, and overwhelmed by the demons of life and simply reading from this book will ease your mind and bring reality back into focus...
on 29 December 1998
When the going gets tough, I keep this book at my table to read a few pages at breakfast every morning. A great help in focusing on the truly important things when overwhelmed by life. A positive way to start even the most difficult day. This book earned a permanent place on my bookshelf - and it will never gather dust there for long!
on 11 August 2004
This book is a series of short chapters on a variety of topics such as 'patience', 'letting go', 'trust', 'dignity', 'karma' and 'interconnectedness'. It's a nice guide to beginning meditation, but I use it more to dip into for inspiration. The words therein are calming reminders of what's important in life. If I'm going away I often take it with me to help keep me centred and balanced. Really glad I bought the book.
on 15 May 2012
Fantastic book with great advice which all should heed in this modern day madness of super fast consumer driven techno obsessed lunacy ! Slow down people, feel the moment you are in and smell the coffee, feel the breeze and watch a moth !
Well worth buying!!
on 8 October 2009
An excellent book that tells you in a very simple and direct way, how and why to mediate, without making you feel superior to anyone. It preaches humility in thought word and deed, does not say that it will be easy, but gives you good reasons to keep trying. Its a book that I will be referring to for a long time.
on 8 October 2003
Meditation is often seen as weirdy beardys sitting around in robes and chanting. This book makes meditation simple and accessible to all. You can meditate wherever you are, it's a way of life, not just a 15 minute interval in your day.