on 7 October 2001
A practical, experiencial and down to earth guide book. If you want to move beyond the limitations of the 'mundane world view' and embrace the boundless opportunities that the Universe has for you, this book is worth a look.
Its pages are filled with anecdotes, suggestions and exercises which address some very real aspects of living life magically.
The two cycles of time described by Gill provide insight into why it is that the more we do, the less we achieve; why letting go and learning to trust are fundamental. It teaches us how to do nothing and achieve everything. By letting go of the struggle, listening more closely to our inner knowing, and trusting ourselves, we act in a way that's so right and natural that it seems effortless.
The gently inspiring and informing style provides a new layer to the lessons of her previous books - it takes you deeper into the wheels of the Universe.
on 28 December 2016
Gill's writing always makes me feel giddy and warm inside. A beautiful, insightful treasure of a book.If you want to learn how to live in pure bliss, buy this!
on 12 July 2016
looooooovvveed this book,, its truly lovely, very real and true and i recommend it fully!
on 2 July 2014
A lovely book so typical of Gill Edwards writing. Very encouraging and inspiring.
on 31 October 2016
Just a brilliant book.
on 29 June 2005
The last customer review prompted me to write this one. Initially, I also felt quite dismissive and negative about this book but two years later I took it off my shelf and gave it another go. I am so glad I did. This book is beautiful and one of the most lucid accounts of realising that we must learn to live in the present in order to find joy in our lives. This is at the heart of Buddhist thinking. The author also shows how we need to give as much time as possible in our lives to those things that enrich our lives - we each know what they are: those things we do in a 'flow' state where we are unaware of time, whether gardening, creative writing, walking in beautiful countryside, or meditating or thinking, or painting. (As the author says, nobody regrets not spending more time shopping or watching television at the end of their lives).We must try to bring about this flow relaxed mindset as much as possible in our daily lives and not be full of 'efforting' and straining against 'what is'. This is at the heart of Taoist thinking. Here the author distills and illustrates these Buddhist and Taoist ideas in a way we can imagine applying to our lives. It is easy to toss the book aside cynically, because we live in an age where cynicism and disappointment seem to be paramount. I am quite skeptical about new age beliefs in spirit worlds, but this is foremost a book of practical wisdom. The spiritual energy that pervades nature and which we need contact with daily is probably closest to the author's sense of the term 'spiritual', as opposed to fairies or ghosts or even God in the specific Christian sense.
I can see why the author's comments on natural birth would annoy mothers, especially as I have had one assisted delivery myself and one natural birth, but I would urge anyone not to let this govern whether they read this wonderful book.
I can also recommend Marianne Williamson's A Return to Love and Buddhism for Mothers by Sarah - for the latter you don't have to be a Buddhist, just a fraught mother of young children who needs reminding from time to time of the wonderful joy there is to be found in being a parent. The chapter on anger in the latter is superb.
on 7 October 2001
on 21 October 2006
This book is like a big, cosy hug. There are lots of short chapters and each one gently reminds us how the ugly negative can be changed into an inspirational positive. Easy to dip in and out of when you need a lift. This book would make a perfect gift for someone who needs cheering up. In fact I bought this book for myself as a birthday present and it now sits on my bookshelf like a cherished, old friend and everytime I notice it I smile.
on 26 June 2001
I usually hate any self-help books with their manual of instructions how to have a "happy" life........but this book is DIFFERRENT. It really gives you another perspective of life........one which is supposed to be obvious to all to see!! Everyone is doing everything to be more happy however our actions are otherwise.....cramming our days, not having time to do what we really want to do, thinking constantly on the past or future etc. This book is just that gentle persuasive voice to re-visit your daily routines and prioities and think otherwise. I recomend it whole heartedly!!
on 8 May 2001
Pure Bliss is the perfect book for anyone looking for something more in 'life'. It is a book that warms the heart and opens the mind to a joyful perception of reality.
Gill Edwards writes lucidly and movingly and about the issues in our everyday lives and offers ways to transform them into positive experience. She writes about how we can empower ourselves, gaining liberation from negative patterns.
A very enjoyable and possibly life-changing book.