on 22 December 2015
Although this is a supporting book to her main Feng Shui book. I found this one to be BETTER. A small book, not very long! it was THE most motivating and inspiring book to read. It's definitely about clearing the clutter - that in 'house and home' - it can help clear clutter in the mind and spirit as well. it's 'subtly motivating' without you realising it! All thoughts to consider, ideas to implement. I've read it a few times now (prefer it to the primary of her book!) Lovely find and highly recommend. Even if you're not into Feng Shui - I believe this book will help you upon many levels - to 'clear the clutter' - in mind, heart, spirit - home and in life. Thank you for writing it Karen!!!
on 20 April 2016
Bought as a present for someone so not sure when it arrived. parts of the book are about the links between physical health and clutter, but there is also a lot of very practical advice on how to deal with clutter room by room. I have had this book for years and return to it periodically when my home needs a decluttering
on 15 May 2014
Whether or not one believes in Feng Shui this book really does help you to get going and sort out your clutter. I bought the print version a few years ago and now find the E version extremely helpful too. Most people say they just cannot get started though they are surrounded by clutter and don't know where to begin. Karen talks you through this as to why you collect it and I then found it easy to start having realised just why I had it in the first place. Cannot explain just why several odd things like the bagua affects your clutter but it just does. It is true though that once one starts it escalates and strangely enough others start saying they have been doing it as well. I am not sure about the space clearing and wall touching bits so would not do that but am just happy that her book has helped me get going.
on 23 April 2017
Life changing! Love this book. Thankyou.
on 14 April 2017
Great clear advice and suggestions. It really works.
on 3 December 2003
This is not a large book but the wisdom it contains is truly inspirational. Ok I am not into feng shui and picked this up at my friends house to read for a laugh. In just a few minutes I was hooked. It is easy to sit and read all in one go and the words are so true that they come back to you when needed and give you the little push to do what needs doing. It is also easy to just dip in to a section that is relevant to your current need. All the stuff that I thought I HAD to keep went and the feeling was of a burden lifted. When my Mum died I know that I would have done my best to hold on to every last one of her belongings if it hadn't been for this book which had already taught me that it was OK to let it go. Now when I am unsure whether to keep anything I ask myself "is it useful?, does it lift my spirits when I see it?" if the answer is no then it goes.Buy this book, you won't be sorry.
on 23 June 2006
I bought this book after reading other reviews. I also bought the book Conquering Chronic Disorganization by Judith Kolberg. Judith's book has some very practical tips for organizing things. But Karen Kingston's book actually GETS you to get up and start sorting out your life.

My room was cluttered with things. I didn't even realise the effect it was having on me. Neither could I make the distinction between 'clutter' and items which I thought made my space look 'homely'. Now I have the perfect balance. I actually felt lighter after cleaning out my space. It took more courage than I thought to get rid of things which were no longer useful - but that courage will hopefully translate into an ability to do that in my every day life. You realise that holiding onto the past is only hiding the emptiness you have in your life.

This is also a topic Karen addresses - as she talks about clearing emotional and physical clutter towards the end of the book. Getting rid of flaky friends. Taking care of your body.

It's a truly all-encompassing book, which was refreshingly insightful. I am hesitant to lend it to anyone since I have read it several times already!
on 3 January 2000
I found this book whilst looking for a book on Feng Shui and the title caught my attention. I bought the book and by the end of the day I found myself going through my wardrobe and clearing out piles of clothes that hadn't been worn for years and just clogged up the cupboard. It was great fun and I had a huge sense of relief like someone had given me permission to clear out my old stuff at last! I found the sorting out of old photos a lot harder to do - I suppose there were more emotions involved. However, I made a start and managed to get rid of a number of old photos and found Karen's comment about only keeping ones that had good memories particularly inspiring. After reading this I threw out photos of my ex-husband that only brought back all the bad times. I was so thrilled with the good feelings washing over me that I went the whole hog and burnt these photos together with all the old divorce papers I'd been storing for I don't know what reason! Afterwards I felt truly energised and very happy - a load had been lifted just like Karen says in the book. Since then I have bought at least 8 copies of the book and given them away as presents to family and friends. It's a wonderful little book that can be read easily and quickly and then dipped into later whenever you need it. As they say 'this book can change lives'! Highly recomended to everyone - as we all have clutter - it's just a matter of degree.
on 14 June 2011
A great little book. Easy to read and very motivational. To be honest if you are looking for a book which gives a lot of detail about Feng Shui then this is not the book for you. There are much better books out there that will inform you about the subject in greater depth. BUT the removal of clutter is so important if you want good Feng Shui and if you suffer from "clutteritis" (as I did) this is so useful in helping you understand why you amass clutter, how to rid yourself and your home/ office of it and how to stop collecting it in the future. The author has a really good grip on the psychology of clutter and there were several points in the book where I recognised myself and others and roared with laughter!
On a personal note I have made a start on my own rubbish and can't describe how much better I feel! I really liked the author's tone - there were no judgmental attitudes and no you must do this now type commands. She gives the reader information,encouragement and suggestions and the rest is down to you. I'm not sure if I will go as far as the Sacred Space Ritual but for me the decluttering is worth the price of the book alone.
And as one reviewer said a lot of the book IS common sense but sometimes it's the obvious which alludes us and for me it was the explanation of WHY I have so much clutter which really made the difference and allowed me to dump the junk.
on 23 November 2007
I bought this book in 2007. It inspired me immediately and I bought several copies for friends and family. After visiting my cousin in Oct 2007 I sent her a copy too. She phoned me to thank me and said that she had only got to page 20 and was up, around and clearing.

Since that time I have also bought 'Sink Relfections' by Marla Cilly and by combining ideas from both of these I am making head way in my fight against My Clutter. I went off the boil a little while ago, but then picked up the books and off I was again.

Recently I was inspired to get rid of my old record collection, which I have been itending to copy to CD. However, the collection was over 200 strong and in my heart of hearts, I knew I would never get through all those, even if I did have a player to put them on. I sold some gave the rest to charity shops. It feels great. I realise now that there are many things in my life that are performing no useful function towards the life I intend for myself. My clutter has been preventing me from enjoying my life, so out it goes!

If at first you are not enamoured with this book, then please put it to one side and have a think about your clutter and how much time you spend on it, compared to how much time you really enjoy your life, then get the book out again and rethink.

Happy Clearing