on 16 February 2017
Great overview explaining the basic concepts behind meditation. I tend to understand subjects better when the overall concept is made clear. This book manages to enlighten and explain in an easy and light mannered way. I highly recommend this book. You can learn how to use meditation techniques anywhere, travelling to work, at home, sitting in a park, or wherever you happen to be.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2018
im not sure why everyone is giving this 5 stars. there is no religious jargon in it which was a bonus for me, but there are not enough clear instructions either. to me it seems like pages and pages of blabbering about meditation and not enough step by step stuff. infact i can barely find any step by step instructions. i don't think this book is categorized. i would have liked a book that is categorized into clear instructions on how best to meditate for each health condition, also a herb and essential oil index would be nice. this book does not deliver it. there is instructions in there about different techniques but trying to find it is a backbreaking task. its a good read and i did learn.... but for me its not a clear guide as i would expect from the title of the book. well earned 2 stars
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 May 2017
Very down-to-earth approach to meditation with such advice as 'if you can't sit cross-legged don't worry about it. Sit any way you want. Just do it.' Many different kinds of meditation are described and he says just pick one that suits you. It is very liberating for someone who always thought meditation had to be 'serious'.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2016
I have meditated on and off for a few years. I have read a few books, attended a few courses, and made some things up as I've gone along. Nothing I have read, nor anyone I have spoken to, describes the what, how and why of meditation as succinctly as Eric Harrison. This is a truly wonderful book, free from waffle or incomprehensible concepts. It has re-focused my practice and given me invaluable guidance on how to meditate effectively. A superior read for any prospective or current meditators.
One person found this helpful
on 29 July 2017
I read this when I first started meditating and I found it very useful, Eric explains each method clearly and simply, I tried most of them and it helped me find the method that most suited my needs, I would highly recommend this book for those wishing to learn to meditate for spiritual and none spiritual reasons.
on 26 January 2016
A deep book with a great deal of help for the novice. It can be read over again and different insights into meditation are discovered on each reading. I would recommend this teach yourself to anyone who wishes to learn meditation.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 October 2012
I was looking for a good book that would give me the basics of meditation. Far too many books are linked to religions, philosophies or spiritual elements. I wanted something that was more objective, easy to understand and to put in practice. I read the positive reviews on Amazon and decided to give it a go. This is an excellent book for beginners like me. The author offers a very pragmatic prospective on several meditation methods. He suggests to try a few and stick to the one(s) that work better for you. I like the chapter dedicated to how to stick to meditation and incorporate it in your daily life.
A very good book, at a very affordable price, ideal for beginners. Highly recommended.
on 3 January 2013
I'm completely new to meditation and I'm finding this book very clear and helpful.
I think it is extremely good for realising that meditation is not something exclusive for monks living in deserts or high mountains but also for people who live in cities and have quite a busy lifestyle. The book provides you with little exercises to do in your everyday life as well as "more serious" practices. I am enthused about the book, haven't finished it yet, not because it's long, but because I think it is a book you should read little by little, giving yourself time to practice, but I can say that so far so good.
on 27 April 2017
I have learned alot from this book and it really works, it just takes time as its hard to stop thinking of other things
on 9 September 2013
This book is easy & very straightforward to use. Hence the five star rating. It also covers some area that I had not considered, I.e. how the two hemisphere's of our brain are linked & the way they work. I'd spent quite a lot of time looking at different websites on meditation, but this book puts it into easy terms without any religious slant in any way. If you want to start on a path that brings peace of mind & benefits both physically & mentally then this would be a good book to start with.