Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star). See all 37 reviews
Caroline Trent is not having a good evening. Firstly her guardian's son, Percival, attacks her on his father's orders - for which she, quite rightly, shoots him in the shoulder. But no sooner has she escaped the house then she's accosted by a man who will insist on calling her Carlotta de Leon.

However, for Caroline this turn of events couldn't be more fortuitous. With just six weeks to go until she comes into her inheritance, she's more than happy to let this stranger keep her out of sight. After all, the last thing she wants is for her guardian to determine her whereabouts.

Yes, everything is going perfectly, until the Marquis of Riverdale arrives, takes one look at her and confirms that she is NOT Carlotta de Leon.

For Blake Ravenscroft, Caroline's captor, this news is both relieving and infuriating. Having worked for the War Office for nearly a decade the prospect of failing is galling in the extreme, but nowhere near as bad as being attracted to a traitor.

But Caroline is no traitor, just a young woman unconsciously tangled up by circumstance. Even so, Blake fights the attraction, because he's sworn never to marry...

The plot of this book is really quite ludicrous, and the fact that Blake is supposed to be one of the War Office's top agents never quite rings true. However, who cares, because this book is hilarious. The exchanges between Caroline and Blake veer from childishly entertaining to laugh-out-loud funny, with poor James (the Marquis) either caught in the crossfire, or doing his best to wind Blake up even further. And then there are the servants. Brilliant.

Too much of the plot remains hazy at best and unexplained (why Oliver is so desperate for Caroline's money, the traitor's plot and aftermath, etc), but to be honest it doesn't matter. Caroline is too amusing for such things to hold this book back.

Let your sense of humour loose, sit back and enjoy! (Then get hold of 'How to Marry a Marquis' because James is back, and he's wonderful.)
on 19 April 2007
When I read a Julia Quinn I read it as I would any romance, forget the regency historical aspect, she's just brilliant. She's witty and enchanting and her female characters are always strong and funny. Caroline Trent has got to be one of the funniest characters ever. She's bubbly and intelligent and is always delivering a speech which will have the reader doubled-over because of the sheer hilarity of her comments.

Of course the fact that it's a regency means who cannot love the time period and setting? The only thing is that I'd have liked the spy plot to be a little more developed; I'd have liked an earlier appearance of Carlotta... maybe an attack on the house or something... the romance really good as was the comedy. The plot concerning the spies... could have been better.

But aside from that, love it.
on 6 June 1999
Having read numerous romance novels over the years, I have found myself becoming rather sated with them all recently so I started reading this book with not much expectation but I was pleasantly surprised. It was very very funny...I found myself laughing out loud at the dialogue between not only the main protagonists but also when the Marquis and Blake's sister were involved. The romance between Blake and Caroline was very entertaining and Blake's surrender to love was sufficently protracted. The book was well written and kept me reading to the end without jumping pages as I have found myself doing recently with other books...so why did I only give it 4 crowns? Only one reason...maybe this is a bit trivial but I kept being distracted by the time it took for the characters to get from near Portsmouth to near Bournemouth and vice versa. I lived near those areas for over 4 years and it takes (even as the crow flies) well over an hour to get from one to the other by car. On horse-back in the 19th century it would take even longer. So Ms Quinn, if you read this, I'm sorry for nit-picking because I really really enjoyed the book but please check out distances when writing about Britain!
on 23 March 2013
Review taken from my Blog Post (#44) in November 2010 after I borrowed the book from the local library.

Which method do you think would work to Catch an Heiress:

(a) Arrange for your son to rape her, and then force her into marriage?;

or

(b) Wait until the rape was attempted, then for said Heiress to flee her Guardian's home and then kidnap her by gunpoint because you thought she was a spy, tie her to the bedpost and be generally horrible for a few weeks?

You'll just have to read the book to find out.

The story of Caroline Trent and Blake Ravenscroft.

Full of the usual whit and laugh out loud moments.

I loved it, and highly recommend you give it a whirl.

A 4.5 star read.
on 2 April 2011
Great book, fun and resfreshing! You just can't stop reading it, it's impossible. You absolutely want to know the end! Julia Quinn transort us in another world all along! :)
on 10 December 2015
I enjoyed this book. It has an appealing plot, and I liked Caroline Trent and Blake Ravenscroft (yes indeed!). Of course, Julia Quinn writes well, and with some gentle humour, so I always expected it to be a good read. It is both a romance and a spy story - so there is plenty to keep your interest.

I would recommend this book, and if you haven't read any books by Ms Quinn then I suggest you start here!
on 17 May 2016
I love how the book is paced quickly. We don't have to wait forever for the story to pick up nor to meet our main characters. The romance is so sweet and sexy and made me want more with every turn of the page.s
on 4 February 2009
was just so funny in places that i was laughing. blake mistakes caroline for a spy and its just down hill from there on. he takes her back to his house and promptly ties her to his bed!!!!! further giggles when blake's sister arrives and the whole story comes out. throughout all this caroline and blake have fallen in love and just to round off the adventure they uncover a smuggling operation. was just so silly ans funny. just the thing to unwind with!!!!
on 22 February 2016
I read the second book some years ago so managed now to read in the correct order. Good characters and well written .Big fan of Julia Quinn
on 9 October 2013
This was a fun read, and I enjoyed it. The first time I've read Julia Quinn, but will look for her again.