on 4 March 2016
Good story
on 24 April 2016
Re. Goodnight Mr Tom
on 20 September 2017
I enjoyed this sweet book.
on 23 April 2013
About hop picking and bought it for my mum - she is 90!

She loved it too and finished it really quickly.
on 12 December 2007
I read the book over 3 days and I know it is one that I will read again. Not sure what age it is aimed at but i'm in my 40's and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be passing on to my neices who are more than half my age, and know they will enjoy it as much as i did
2 people found this helpful
on 17 March 2001
I loved this book because it showed how a girl not much older then me, was able to fend off bullies, discover more about her family and find a successful refuge in the theatre. This is a gripping story, which shows how poor people cope with poverty.
15 people found this helpful
on 12 November 1999
A Spoonful of Jam is the moving story of Elsie. It takes place two years after The War has ended, 1947, and families are still suffering badly from its effects. This dramatic book concentrates on family life and how it changes Elsie. She is fighting against the coldness and disregard of her father, a spiteful bully at school and being the scholarship girl at the Girls' Grammar School. But during this hard time in her life Elsie develops a passion for acting, a passion that leads her away from her unhappiness. This book is a fantastic read providing an unpredictable storyline and an understanding of the characters that no one but Michelle Magorian could produce.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2006
This book is thoughtful and well-written. I read it on holiday, having picked it up as a last-minute impulse for an 'easy read' on the beach. It's a rites-of-passage book up to a point, but the depth within is conjured up in the author's description (running throughout the book) of just how shattering war, in this case, the Second World War, can be. Men returned as strangers to their young families; children and fathers having to get to know each other afresh, (not to mention their wives). In many cases not often understanding (or even liking) each other much. Rationing continued for approx. 7 years after this book was set and is dealt with as a skilful aside. Bullying does play an introductory part of the story, but its overall tone is one of hope, friendship and independence, in times that are hard to imagine now. If you want a gentle read, where there are really no unpleasant characters(even that pesky bully of a girl), that is well written for both children and adults to enjoy, then give this a go - it is a rare author who can satisfy most ages within one book. (I also have to disagree with a previous reviewer who stated that this book should be for readers 15+ years old+ - what nonsense - any intelligent young reader could cope with this book, if mature enough, from 10/11 years old upwards). And I shall be passing my copy on to my goddaughters - (aged 10 and 12).
29 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2003
This book tells the story of Elsie, a young girl who has to put up with the neglect of her father, living in poverty and terrible bullying from school. These themes seem modern enough, but the fact that the story is set in post- war Britain makes it even more poignant. Even at a time when girls were inferior to boys, Elsie rises above all the pressures and Magorian displays a huge amount of charisma in the young girl.
For those who aren't interested in theatre- don't worry, neither was I until I'd finished it! It will leave you with a feel-good factor and wanting more- and probably with tears running down your cheeks at the happy ending!
10 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2001
This book was great I enjoyed every minute of it from begining to end.If your my age (13) you'll probably think that it's a load of rubbish if I told you in was set shortly after the war but that's simply not true this was the best book I ever read I felt I knew the chracters and imagined I was there and if you enjoyed this book you'll enjoy 'CUCKOO IN THE NEST' which is about her brother, Ralph and his ampition to be an actor. I'm just hoping now that Michelle will bring out some more incredible books!
19 people found this helpful