Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2017
I really loved this book and wished i had bought it earlier for my oldest daughter. I had bought this book for my 4 year old and an older book for my 9 year old. However, my oldest daughter seems to really hate discussing anything to do with the facts of life and the older books just seemed a bit too in your face. However she seemed much happier for us to look at this book instead. It really helped me explain everything in a clear and useful way. I could tell my oldest daughter was interested and I felt reassured that she was better informed and it has since enabled me to discuss more openly about other issues like periods etc. Would definitely recommend to all parents of boys and girls. It gives you a great starting place to a more open discussion in a non scary way.
on 13 November 2015
really handy for answering the kids questions, I wasn't sure where to start so bought this and read it to them, aged about 7
on 1 November 2009
This book was a little advanced for my five year old daughter. Still good, so is being kept for another day.
on 7 January 2013
This is a wonderful book to help any parent with the difficult discussion on sex. Our daughter age 8 read it from cover to cover and understood it all quite easily. Its beautifully written and would recommend to any parent. Eight may seem very young for this kind of matter but when other older peers are saying the word sex it poses a problem trying to explain what it means. We are really happy our child has been carefully informed on the subject.
on 8 December 2011
I have the Italian version of this book and I found it very useful when I had to explain to my youngest daughter how children are born. I bought the English version for a friend of mine. I think it is very well written, simple and straight to the point.
on 10 April 2013
I flicked through it before I handed it to my daughter and we both found it funny and interesting. All the basic information is there that they need and it fitted my purpose exactly.
on 27 February 2013
I bought this for my 8 year old but its a bit too much.
I'm going to keep it for a year or too. but its good stuff
on 5 February 2013
I bought this book to try and explain the birds and bees to my 8 year old daughter. it is fantastic except for the page which explains how. I think it's a bit too advanced for her personally. I think 'special cuddles' is enough at this stage, but this went one step further to explain exactly how it's done. Perhaps this is unavoidable?
on 30 May 2013
I was keen to read my daughter a story about how her baby brother got to be in my tummy. The book has lovely pictures in and seemed to be child friendly. However I felt that a couple of the explanations were a bit too informative, I skipped those parts when reading the story...
on 3 September 2015
I was looking for a book for my 3-year-old, not for him to study extensively, obviously, but just to have around. I see no reason why children should not learn about intercourse (well, the very basics), conception and birth just like they learn about dinosaurs, firetrucks and kitchen utensils: by just having a suitable book around to leaf through at their leisure. Hence, I was looking for a book that would
- explain the details without being evasive or silly (although these are very subjective qualities)
- neither avoid the topic of intercourse nor dwell on it at length (this is just an age consideration)
- have clear, yet "toddler-friendly" illustrations, i.e. being neither too technical nor too abstract
- _not_ mention a load of silly stories about the conception, addressing the child in a false tone of conspiracy ("You probably heard a lot of silly stories about where babies do come from"), which I find, quite frankly, insulting as a parent.

To my surprise and dismay, such a book is hard to find, but "How Did I Begin" ticked all my boxes. Another reviewer described it as "a little gem", and I wholeheartedly agree. I do not find it paramount that my 3-year-old understands every single word or sentence mentioned in there, but it is - for me - the ideal book to have around, if and when the issue becomes of interest.