on 22 October 2015
This is a great book, and my sole complaint is that it only covers islands of under 300 acres. So places such as Tresco (about 730 acres) are omitted and Lundy at over 1000 acres is well off the radar. However, there were so many islands that I would never have found out about, let alone been able to visit, that I thank Mr Wills for doing all the leg-work and producing a fascinating book to read. At times I thought he had a tendency to waffle on unnecessarily, but then there were times where his prose made me laugh out loud and whets the appetite to travel to these places. The photos also give you a good sense of the feel of some of these tiny parcels of land.

The book is full of interesting facts about each island, together with much needed useful information on how to visit each place.
Mr Wills, if you update this book or decide to widen the criteria to include islands larger than 300 acres, can I come and carry your bags?
on 12 June 2013
I think Dixie Wills writes fab books - I have his 'Tiny Campsites' one also.

As a family, we love the outdoors - camping, hiking would love to try wild swimming, and this book just epitomises everything we love in life - secret islands around Britain that you would never know existed without this little gem of a read!!

Well worth the money - if you're a fan of adventure and fancy a bit of 'Swallows and Amazons' then this book is for you.

To all budding Arthur Ransomes - buy it!!!!
on 7 July 2013
This book is an absolute joy! Anyone with an interest in Britain and it's islands should definitely purchase this book! It is packed with lots of very helpful and entertaining information about our beautiful hidden gems!
on 27 August 2013
Excellent. A huge amount of research, much of which must have taken considerable effort and time, has secretly gone in to writing this book in order to present the detailed history of each little island. Unlike some "guides", the author has obviously visited each location and, in addition to the historical background, presents additional quirky facts, what to see, and detailed instructions of how to visit each one. I also love his style of writing - brilliant!
on 12 June 2017
A fascinating topic and well worth writing about. I'm a bit less sure about the gazetteer based structure though it gives very thorough info. I've also just read No Boat Required which benefits from a more personal narrative about island visits. Dixe has done us a good turn by researching and putting together a load of useful and practical information. So off you go!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 December 2013
Witty, informative, well illustrated, this account of visits to the 60 Tiny Islands is an excellent read and companion. Some of my favourite places in the UK (eg Steep Holm, Burgh Island, Bass Rock) are described in a depth which added to my awareness of their nature and past. There are many very funny comments and descriptions within the text, and each island is described fluently, with visiting details and other information at the end of each description. It made me want to make a 2014 hope to visit many more.
on 23 March 2015
I like small Islands. I happen to be on one as I write (Tresco, the Isles of Scilly). I wanted some holiday reading and have read several of Mr Wills' previous books so to pick this up at the right time was a happy accident. The best thing I can say about the book is that I'm already ranking the islands that I really want to visit and considering how soon I can get to them. There's plenty of info on each island, both historical and practical with a lot more besides. The book is really nicely written and funny to boot. highly recommended for the curious offbeat traveller.
on 10 July 2013
another engrossing book from Dixe Wills. Full of useful information - where the loos are, how to get there by train/bus/ferry, how far to a good cup of tea, and also interesting stories about the history and life of each island. It is just a fantastic book, with very good photos.
on 7 March 2016
very interesting about some of our small islands, a joy to read and good information for those wanting to explore the islands
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2015
What a lovely book, full of charming locations. I've visited a few, now have plans to visit as many of these islands as I can on the strength of this book.