on 31 October 2016
A shade disappointing. I get the impression that it was written in a hurry. Many features I felt need better explanation. It is more of a reference book than a helpful guide. Unfortunately my trusty Habro's guide is no longer published.
on 14 June 2014
Excellent tax reference book to assist me to prepare and submit my own return and to assist my friends with theirs. I would recommend it to people who are prepared to submit their own straight forward tax returns without having to consult a professional.
on 21 May 2014
This book will serve the purposes of most non-professional readers seeking a little explanation on the workings of the most common personal and business UK taxes.
on 14 February 2015
Similar to another reviewer I think the Daily Mail Guide was a more effective guide, just as, surprising to some, the Daily Mail financial section is highly considered. Although more expensive (although I believe it has gone down in price in recent editions) I think the St James Guide should be considered as an alternative for someone with any complexity to their affairs (ie expatriate, foreign earnings etc) - it is better and more exactly referenced. As a single reminder (like does the US UK reciprocity treaty count USA Roth IRAs and UK ISAs as tax sheltered pensions? {Answers - yes to first, no to second apparently} can save you a lot of hassle and money I think paying a bit more for a definite guide is well worth it.
on 2 June 2014
A great introduction into the Income Tax and general tax system in the UK. Good intro to the changes in the last Budget as well.
on 28 July 2014
Very easy to understand. A must for everyone who has self-assessment to fill in.
on 2 November 2014
Very Comprehensive and including all the details for enabling completion of Tax form.Will purchase the next edition for the next financial year.
on 29 December 2014
I still miss the Daily mail tax guide, but this is a reasonable substitute, and is kept up to date by the bean counters at Sayers Butterworth
on 3 July 2015
The only real alternative to the former excellent Daily Mail Income Tax Guide, sadly no longer published.
on 6 September 2014
Format not as good as expected but it will serve its purpose in letting us know current allowances etc.