on 15 April 2013
I bought this book as I own it on Audible and it was so good, I wanted the hard copy version too. If you are unhappy in your job or on the precipice of a new venture then this book is for you. The author is witty and sincere, and the exercises are thought provoking and progressive. The only down side for me was that some of the book is very corporate orientated, and if you don't come from the corporate world, you may find small sections do not really apply. Having said that, I have given this a five star review as there are lots of other chapters for everyone from every background. You won't need any other book after this one, it has everything you need to get started. I'm not saying you will be walking out of your job by next week, it's not a miracle worker! However it's a fantastic start and will provide you with lots of ideas, resources, motivation and hope for the future. Just buy it!!
on 19 July 2017
This was recommended to me and I found it totally inspiring and very informative I will have to keep it close so I can get back to certain things to work out my necessary steps going forward so many great links available thank you
on 27 November 2017
Probably suits a person in marketing who has side projects. Really it's just behavioral level rather than character level stuff.
on 22 November 2017
I recommend this all the time! What a great, practical and yet inspiring book!
on 12 September 2017
Just read this book for a second time. It's fresh, funny a 'go to', whether you're at the beginning or middle of your freerange life. Buy it!
on 7 November 2017
Not one for self-help diatribe BUT this is not that and AMAZINGLY enlightening and courage-giving. Helped finally and fully to switch over a lever I already had, BIG BIG THANKS Marianne
on 19 September 2017
Amazing
on 12 March 2013
Marrianne has a way of writing that makes you think. It made me think about all my dreams of escaping the 'JOB' and embarking on an adventure. Which is what we should all be doing. We only get one life (as far as we know) so we really should be striving to make it fantastic. And if your idea of having a fantastic life involves creating a life where you can play to your strengths and enjoy what you do every day then this book gives you the basics to make that a reality.
Having read many books regarding life development and working for yourself I was a bit aprehensive about reading another one. But this one was different and like a breath of fresh air in comparison. I have started a project already, running alongside my conventional 'JOB' but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel thanks to Marrianne and this wonderful book. I would recommend it to anyone even those who are happy in their jobs as it shows you there is another way if only we take a leap and embrace it. This has given me the confidence to do that, to take the leap where all the other books have left me with more questions than answers. Well worth a read and definitely deserving of the five stars I have given it.
on 5 March 2013
So many people fantasise about what they'd do if they won the lottery and didn't have to commute every day to a job that is barely keeping their little grey cells ticking over, never mind filling their life with meaning. Well, Marianne's book gives you the practical knowledge and `how to' tips in order for you to not only dream a dream but live it too.

She is relentlessly positive and keeps on reminding you that Yes You Can. If you're surrounded all day by people who say `huh, well, we'd all like to quit, but everyone has to have a job, don't they?', then of course you're going to absorb all that negativity and believe it's your only option. `Be a Free Range Human' offers a different perspective.

It's by necessity broad ranging (broad free ranging?), dealing with all sorts of personalities and businesses. Even if you're an introvert who thinks this self-employed lark is all about being extravert and doing life coaching, fear not. There are plenty of illustrations of quiet, thoughtful initiatives; and it's a testament to the quality and scope of the book that I was even able to see the lessons in the stories that didn't seem to relate directly to my situation.

I've bookmarked so many pages to go back to when I'm in need of a Positive Mental Attitude - or just some attitude. If you read just one book this year, make it this one. You won't regret it.
on 10 March 2013
All too easy to skim through as another 'self help' book but it is way more than that. The exercises are very useful to do and after a awhile, I fine my brain opening up to new ideas. I haven't finished it yet but enjoying it so far