I'm REALLY surprised to see so many 5-star reviews here. This book is in fantasy land. It's completely and utterly unrealistic.

Crammed full of vague tales of folk who've quit their 9-5 and walked straight into high paid, well respected non-jobs where they telecommute for a few days a week from their luxurious new lives in the Bahamas, this is just ridiculous. The book constantly tells you that if you really 'want' your amazing new life it'll be delivered straight to you. No delay, no problems, certainly no actual work on your part.

The book is at it's most terrifying when it actually says not to worry about how you'll pay the bills whilst transitioning to your new role - because, hey, planning is a bad thing! Bills? Pah! Thinking about paying your rent is defeatist and ruins your positive energy. Same with making a business plan - why bother? Just jump in and lose your marriage, savings and roof from over your head! It'll all be fine! As for networking, well just ring up complete strangers (!) and invite them out for coffee. Seriously, WTF?

The book does direct you to a lot of back-up support resources on the website of the same name, but these are generally adverts for services you'll need to pay for and fail to mention that other providers that will give you the same service for free.

On the small plus side the book is relentlessly optimistic, which can be nice to hear. But I'm left with the impression that if you broke both legs the author would stand cheerleading with pom poms about how lucky you are not to need shoes any more... rather than taking you to a hospital...

Very glad I got the book from the library, rather than buying it. Escape from Corporate Hell: Unlock your potential and love your work still seems to be the best book for moving away from 9-5 and on to rewarding and meaningful self employment.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2013
I think this book should be read by anyone who is feeling washed out or completely swamped by their current job. This book gives you the belief that you can build the life and a career around this, which is a perfect fit for your own choice of life, but not only that, it also gives you the actual tools to do this. This is the most real and best book I have ever read of its kind. I look forward to seeing where I am this time next year based on the ideas and tools this book has given me.
on 29 October 2014
as someone who lived in a bus for years but now feels trapped in a house- this book may be the key to having my cake and eating it!
on 16 January 2013
Well done, Marianne. If you are thinking it's time to live your life and still earn a living, you have to read this book. Marianne is friendly and engaging in her style and encourages you to be yourself in your business - but wait, it's not a business, it's a lifestyle! Lots of helpful advice and case studies, encouraging those of us who are not cut out to do a 9-5 job to make the break and jump out of our cage. Step by step guides. Don't just read it - do it! I am.
on 11 March 2014
Careful, if you're not ready it will mess up with your mind, playing with traditional work/life ideas and turning them up side down. This book is for people that don't seem to fit the cage, people that feel and know there's more to reality than what we've been told, and people that are looking to go and find out more about it without delay. A little theory, but more practical so you can start to pursue whatever is that you want straight away. You'll love it!!
on 10 March 2013
Two words: seriously inspiring. Life will never be the same again, thanks Marianne! Just buy it and get on with your life!
on 9 August 2013
I have just finished Free Range Humans and it has transformed my way of thinking. Clearly written so that anyone can follow, the advice is spot on not like many theoretical books on this subject. Marianne covers every question you might think about when deciding to break free of the conventional life. I recommend to anyone feeling that they need to make a change. Oh and I am reading it again just to make sure it all sunk in!
on 9 November 2013
I run 2 of my own businesses and think this book is brilliant for anyone starting out. Aimed at women in particular in my opinion (her branding and voice is very female-friendly) this book does a great job of giving you the confidence and impetus you need to just go for it and achieve your dreams and potential. It's full of inspiration and practical advice and, even though I run my own businesses, there was still useful information about how to achieve maximum potential from your services.

I've recommended this book to many people as I think it's a life-changer.
on 10 May 2016
Brilliant book, very inspiring! Gives you the confidence to make positive changes. Highly recommended.
on 3 October 2013
This book is brilliant, well-written and practical. You want to create a life where you can work whenever you want, wherever you want, and still make a decent income? This book will help you do it.
Marianne Cantwell is practical, gives ideas of things we can actually DO (not mere concepts) and is not holding back on her advice. Reading it is definitely a great investment of your time!