on 18 October 2012
Brief Review:

Good quality advice. Easy to understand and comprehensive.

Recommendation:

Buy it.

Longer Review:

If you're looking for a good overview of digital marketing then there are few better books to start with than this one by Damian Ryan and Calvin Jones.

They waste no time in giving you loads of useful information on a wide range of topics. They start (very briefly) with how the Internet came about and then move on to the following topics:

- Strategy
- Social Media
- Online PR
- Affiliate Marketing
- Mobile Marketing

They then finish the book by looking forward in time and trying to work out, 'what's next' (if we only knew).

The book is surprisingly good. The text is engaging and simple to read. This is not a 'techie book'. Each chapter starts with a 'Chapter Pledge' and then breaks down each topic into easy to digest chunks.

There are also plenty of case studies that are used to illustrate key points in the book and demonstrate how a certain marketing tactic was applied.

Minor Criticisms

The book is an introductory text. It is, therefore, fairly basic in its treatment of the overall subjet matter (digital marketing). So, if you've got any experience in this field, you might find it a little too simplistic. However, even if you are experienced, you may pick up some intro knowledge to areas that you're unfamiliar with e.g. if you're an SEO person, you may learn something about Email Marketing for example.

The other problem, of course, with digital, is that it all moves so fast. Whilst this is the second and revised edition, there are already parts of the book that feel a little dated (even though this book was reprinted twice in 2012!).

Nevertheless, these criticisms aside, I really like this book. I didn't learn a great deal but it's a book I recommend to people attending my training courses. And it's a book I'd recommend to you if you're looking to get quickly up-to-speed with digital marketing.
on 22 April 2012
This is the best book I've seen on Digital Marketing. Without doubt it has been a worthwhile investment for me in my career as a marketing executive for my organisation. So much less hassle than having to sit through hours of boring classroom lectures - several days going backwards and forwards on the bus to work with this trusty tool in my hand has made me informed and up to speed with the whole world of digital marketing. Nice one boys!!!!!
on 18 May 2013
Digital Marketing is adding exciting new dimensions to the now well known and much used principles and practices of marketing. From a static "art" form it has now become participative exercise wher provider and customer interact.... It opens up a wide range of possibilities once one understands the underlying structures and concepts of its online applications and implications. And this is what this clear, concise and understandable analysis provides and "online" neophyte like myself even though I have worked in marketing for many years.
on 6 June 2014
The introduction has put me off. I have been working with Digital Media since 1994 and the introduction just sounded like the rewriting of snake oil books in Digital Media. I flicked through the book and could tell that there was no original thought analysing the difficulties and opportunities faced by Digital Marketeers of today and tomorrow. It does not tell for example, where Digital Marketing is failing and on how a Digital Campaign can become a blackhole.
on 10 January 2013
I bought this book to help with my dissertation topic and as a student it has really helped me to understand digital marketing as it is up to date and covers all areas. My lecturer refers to it in her lectures as it is easy to read and understand with examples and case studies throughout. In my opinion, chapter 5 'Website Intelligence and Return on Investment' and the final chapter 'Whats Next?' were particularly helpful due to the easy to understand format of explaining ROI and great insights into the future of digital marketing gave me ideas for future research. Overall, I would highly recommend this book to students and lecturers for an overview of digital marketing.
on 17 March 2013
Covers all the main channels with plenty of examples and suggestions that you can implement. If you're looking for a complete intro to digital marketing, this is it.
on 10 November 2012
I bought this book to get me up to speed on the fast changing internet marketing strategies. Always covers the usual, which is difficult to get into, but there are some nuggets in there!
on 23 January 2013
This book is very basic, if you have even a basic knowledge of web marketing you may already have outgrown what this book has to offer. If yo have no knowledge of web marketing then it would be a good starting point but it really is for beginners only.
on 17 October 2013
This is a great synopsis of the digital marketing sector and the best overview I've seen to date. Clear, easy to read and I wish I had this when I started out in the industry. As a non-exec in many digital agencies I'm recommending this book as a must read for anyone who wants to learn more about digital marketing.
on 27 March 2013
A great book and a great read really, has really given me new ideas about how to develop my business online. I now have a much greater knowledge about the techniques needed for marketing online, especially how I can increase awareness. For those looking to develop their online business significantly this is a must read!

Joe Searle - Afterburn