on 5 October 2009
Of the three books in this series (I bought them all), this hits the target for me perfectly given the stage I am at in my career. I probably have never really given my writing the attention it needs and the messages in this book really made me think. I now realise that barely adequate writing is just not good enough. The book offers the sort of practical advice I just haven't seen in other text books.
on 18 May 2011
This book is one of my most treasured possessions. It's perfect for people at all levels in their career. There's always room for improvement! It teaches you very clearly and concisely how to write conscientiously, always being considerate of the customer (reader) and "brand you". You'll learn how to write for results; words provoke feelings; feelings create action!

The book practices what it preaches as it's visually appealing with paragraph headings that capture your interest, it uses plain English and it gets to the point. You can dip in and out whenever you desire.

I've owned this book since it was published. I picked it up again this week for some inspiration as I am preparing an article for a book called "working in accounts". I fell in love with it all over again!

It's very motivating and thought provoking. Word power works!
on 9 September 2010
The contemporary writer may bewail the changes wrought by the Web's "speeding billboards" reading model (see Don't Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability) but as this book rightly points out written text remains the most valuable and important part of most websites. It goes on to suggest that writing business English might even be "the business cycle itself".

In this cross-cultural and web-connected age (a cliche but no less true for that) the writer must deliver correctness, clarity, impact, and, critically, customer focus. Pitched between How to Write Effective Business English and Executive Writing Skills for Managers this is the middle volume of a valuable trilogy summarising some of today's latest expertise in business, intercultural, and Web writing in English. Concise, knowledgeable, and effective, in some ways this handbook supersedes older guides such as Informative Writing: Your Practical Guide to Effective Communication.

SUMMARY:

The book both encourages and helps you to continually improve your written skills and, through them, discover how many opportunities you can create for yourself. In general it recommends that you:

* work to keep getting better,
* don't hold yourself back,
* not set limits,
* follow its technique of Written Word Power skills.

As a primer I have extracted the following KEY POINTS:

1. Analyse, understand, and write for the reader, i.e. WRITE FOR PEOPLE NOT PROCESSES.

2. Give pointers to the main items that your audience needs. Highlight these and/or put them up front.

3. Use the POWER WORDS that the book lists (some are in this review). SET YOURSELF APART. Use "the Wow Factor" to develop "Brand You" and SHINE.

4. Learn from others - both from their effective language and from their mistakes.

5. Write to open up OPPORTUNITIES.

6. Use plain English and edit. Keep it tight but not over-tight.

7. Use positive, proactive words.

8. Avoid words that put up barriers.

9. Follow the 4 steps: CORRECTNESS, CLARITY, IMPACT, CUSTOMER FOCUS.

10. PLAN key points well before you write.

11. Be topical, interesting, newsworthy.

12. Actively highlight key messages.

13. Include a clear summary for busy readers, where you can.

14. Write a story/narrative. Show what follows what. Lead into future action.

15. WORDS ARE A WEBSITE'S MOST VALUABLE AND IMPORTANT FEATURE.

16. Think carefully before posting/publishing/sending in cyberspace (and don't I know that from some of my Amazon reviews).

17. Remember to refresh your English writing style regularly.

18. Be aware of how your online mistakes can go viral.

19. And the candle on the cake: writing business English is a key and HIGHLY TRANSFERABLE skill.

P.S. I found part one of the trilogy rather noddy but, based on this second volume, would hold out higher hopes for part three.
on 27 September 2009
I thought that the layout and style of this book was very low impact and although the content was spot on for beginners, it was of little use for the more advanced business writer. I thought that it touched on too many subjects in too little detail. However, the content was useful for first time writers.
on 5 March 2013
I enjoyed this book - well written with good advice. One aspect was missing - examples of good layouts. How one can format a document to look both professional and appealing is an added strength to the communication. I just felt that a chapter on this would have made the book more complete.
on 9 September 2012
I NOW HAVE A BETTER NOTION OF HOW TO EXPRESS MY IDEAS IN A PROPER WAY. IN MY VIEW, THIS BOOK IS SYNTHETIC AND CAN HELP EVERYONE TO CLARIFY SOMETHING.
on 24 February 2013
It is brilliant!! Very helpful book. I am happy to have it.
I strongly recommend it everyone. Thank you very much.