Customer reviews

on 29 April 2017
I like this type of book, I really do. Having said that, I have read so many books like it, and it is for this reason that I have knocked one star off.
Most , if not all, of the topics I am interested in, like maths, lateral thinking, positive thinking, getting along with others and making decisions. There's not a great deal that's new here, but the book is a good overview that may lead you to investigate some of the recommended reading.
I found this author by way of another of his books, 'Lateral Thinking Puzzles'.
on 21 August 2014
This book is what I'd describe as a "Big Dipper". Not that I'd suggest you read it whilst on a roller coaster ride. No, I mean this is a book you can just dip into - from the bookcase in your office to the side of your executive case or roller. The book has short chapters and sections on different aspects of thinking and the brain - lateral thinking, analytical thinking, problem solving, getting your ideas into action, having stronger conversations and winning arguments, and (almost forgot) improving your memory. There's even a section on some of the myths around how we think. It's jam-packed with ideas (and whilst I had come across some of the ideas before there was plenty of fresh mind-sparking material too. It's dotted with exercises so you can give "brilliant thinking" a go in the comfort of your own home.
A valuable addition to any smart-thinking business person's library (but don't leave it on the shelf - dip into it regularly)
VINE VOICEon 11 March 2010
The contents page, listing the chapter titles, is useful and seemingly comprehensive. However I suspect that most readers given that list could then write a page or so on each item which would come close enough to what's in the book. In other words there is nothing new, but what there is seems to cover all the bases.

I think Chapter 4 'Analyse problems' is by far the best and contains a couple of very useful looking techniques. The rest is OK if a touch lazily cliched at times. When did anyone really believe the Earth was flat; certainly not in the last 5,000 years. So as an example of a dominant idea that needs revisiting it is a bit lacking.

On a more negative note I agree wholeheartedly that playing games is good for the mind, but the list of possibilities included here is pathetic and could only have been drawn up by someone who hasn't played a boardgame in thirty years. The most relevant thing that he can think of to say about Monopoly (Monopoly! in 2010!) is that Fidel Castro didn't like it. An astonishing revelation. We need a bit less dog bites man and a bit more man bites dog; he should read his own chapter on thinking what no-one else thinks.
on 26 February 2010
Paul Sloane's book is a very readable and easily digestible resource that can be read in convenient bite-size chunks. The chapters are numerous, short and to the point with excellent summaries and self-diagnostic tests. Even though much of the academic research Paul uses was not new to me it was presented in a fresh and interesting way that makes the book very useful to people who want to question their existing practices and sharpen-up the way they think and plan to do things,

This is a very handy mental guide for people in any walk of life and everybody would benefit from the advice given. The reader is left in no doubt that thinking is a skill that we all engage in but frequently do quite badly because we have simply not been taught how to do it well. Most importantly the author leaves you in no doubt that this is something you can do something about.

Whether you just need a refresher in better thinking or a starter course this book is very useful. I thoroughly recommend it
on 25 January 2010
There's no doubt that you can train your brain to peform better. Paul Sloane,one of the world's leading exponents of lateral and creative thinking in business, sets out a series of simple techniques that anyone can follow to help them improve their powers of thought. Not only did I really enjoy this book, I found the ideas that Sloane puts forward very easy to follow and apply. And they really do work. I also disovered I have a much better head for mathematics than I thought I had.
A incredibly interesting and helpful book. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.
on 28 January 2010
A highly entertaining and thought-provoking book that uses masses of unexpected examples to highlight ways in which we can all use our little grey cells more effectively. It doesn't just cover academic thinking, but also ways to maximise your brainpower in social and professional life. Sloane touches on lateral thinking, logic, philosophy, creative problem-solving and many other areas in a witty and highly readable fashion, with lots of brain-teasers and other puzzles along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would strongly recommend it as a gift for a friend or family member who needs a bit of encouragement to think more precisely or imaginatively.
on 28 November 2010
The unkind would describe this as a puzzle book packaged up as a serious attempt to make us, the people, use our brains better and more effectively. The unkind would be wrong. This book is an effective way of boosting the capabilities of your brain using relatively simple techniques. These techniques are designed for the reader to question perceived ways of thinking in order that more creative and appropriate solutions are found to problems.

Anyone who has had children will know that the most difficult question that you can be asked as a parent is `Why?'. Most of us will trot out the standard answers, but this book will allow you to think that there are different ways of doing things.

From getting you to be a better conversationalist, to being able to grapple with previously daunting maths problems this book promotes a different path. It says that the brain is a muscle that needs to be exercised similar to other muscles in the body, and that repetitive thinking will only hasten its decline.

By following the simple techniques identified in this book, Paul Sloane is trying to get us to be better people; to be the people that we know are inside us; people that we want to be.

`How to be a Brilliant Thinker' is essential if you want to be more than you are, and are not afraid to think outside the box to achieve it. If you don't know how to do this, then Paul Sloane's book will tell you how. It is to its credit that I have tried some of his techniques and although I still cannot tell jokes, I am trying. This is a book that can literally enhance lives.How to be a Brilliant Thinker: Exercise Your Mind and Find Creative Solutions
on 20 September 2011
Paul's book makes easy reading but he does get his message across in a succinct, narrative prose. The book is departmentalised and so one does not have to read it from cover to cover. I am sure an interesting blog could be created by Paul Sloane gathering opinions from readers on each aspect of becoming a brilliant thinker.
on 23 February 2016
A well written book that is full of useful ideas, methods and practical examples of how anyone can improve the way they think. Different methods are presented in an easy to read and memorable way, encouraging you to try them out. When you do try them, you quickly realise that thinking differently can really help get better results in whatever you are doing.
on 21 May 2010
This book covers the topic very thoroughly, going well beyond the range of the normal business or academic book, and in an amusing and memorable way. I've read a lot around this topic, from other authors, but found I learnt nonetheless many new ideas, thanks to the author's thought-provoking style. The book clarified for me a number of quite dense concepts - such as structured decision-making and problem-solving. This makes me want to keep the book to hand for future reference, including reference to the pointers for further reading.

As well as extending the knowledge of readers already interested in the topic, it would also make a very good first text for anyone interested in improving their creativity and reasoning thought processes in work and social life.