Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2014
Re-read it after about 40 years and found it still very powerful. Someone made the comment that it is the female equivalent of Portnoy's Complaint, and I think this is about right. Portnoy was all about the struggle men have between lust and the desire for friendship and family life.. F of F is really the same, a woman trying to reconcile her sexuality with the need for caring and loving relationships.. Both are set against a Jewish background which may accentuate the problems but the underlying dilemma is common to us all.
on 5 April 2013
First read this when I was 17! Wanted to see if it had the same impact. It does! Not disappointed.
on 30 May 2015
I'm not saying the story is rubbish but I was somewhat disappointed with it. It was more like a travel journal of western Europe than a piece of erotic literature. The scant erotic scenes contained within it were not very detailed or descriptive and I have read better erotica in certain horror novels, such as Night Of The Crabs by Guy N Smith.
I found this boring, self-absorbed and rather pathetic. If the main character wanted to do something to express herself as a strong woman, and help the feminine cause, why not train as a biochemist or architect or police officer?

Instead this neurotic woman has sex, and rather bad sex too, on the brain. Why not try to find love with a man who will treat you as an equal, instead of wasting your energy? You'll never be long-lasting happy and fulfilled with sex replacing love.

And by the way, foul language doesn't make you look strong. It makes you look cheap.
on 21 November 2015
When this book was first published I was about the same age as the narrator. Maybe I should have read it then, although looking back with a more life-experienced eye is fascinating. I am more of a feminist now than ever, and found this a compelling read - apart from a surfeit of sexual slang! Be your own person, say to the world "this is who I am", and remember you are part of the flow of life.
on 12 December 2013
Really? Maybe it was in the 1970's but today it just seems as though it was written merely to shock (and in some places it is downright racist). I didn't notice the main character making any salient points about feminism. It seemed to be a lot of sexual activity and interminable moaning about the aforementioned sexual activity. I'm sure it raised a few eyebrows when it was written, but unfortunately now it just seems irrelevant, unpleasant and pretentious.
on 17 September 2015
What hit me was his little things have changed for women over the years that have passed since this was first published. Amazing read.
on 27 February 2013
I read this book almost 15 years ago in Serbian language (mother tongue) and return to buy it again in English, now when I find myself for so many years in UK!
I am amazed that even after such a long time this book manage to make my imagination excite! I also recommend it to my friend and she was so excited that she couldn't stop talking about the story and the each part she has gone through.
Erica Jong and Fear of Flying is still one of my nb. 1 books ever!!!
on 12 November 2014
Boring, badly written, immature, self-indulgent.
on 13 April 2016
The capsules work as advertised but as others have said plenty of water is a must. The effects last for at least a couple of days which is a bonus. We are both very happy with the results.