Customer reviews

Push: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 May 2017
Bought after watching the film heartbreaking a good read.
on 18 July 2017
the writing was quite hard to read (especially at the beginning) but nonetheless it was a good read however i did like the movie a little bit more
on 17 March 2017
was ok
on 16 October 2015
Courageous young woman an inspiration.
on 20 October 2005
I first read this book when i was 18. It opened my eyes. I had never heard of this level of abuse a person could go through from people she should have been able to trust. It is not an easy read. Despite the horrendous desciptions, it became one of my favourite books because of her pure grit and determination to not be a victim and overcome all obstacles that were put in front of her. A very inspirational read.
on 7 November 2011
I picked this up the other day as I was waiting for a library book to come through and didn't want to start anything too big/long. Stupid idea as I read this in one sitting so still had the same dilemma of having nothing to read whilst waiting for the library book.

This is a captivating read. Utterly depressing and melancholic. I loved the style and pace of writing. The entire account is mortifying and horrifying yet quite poetic in the author's prose.

When I first started reading it, I was immediately reminded of the Celie's limited style of language and naivety in Alice Walker's 'The Color Purple', so I was pleasantly surprised when Sapphire started talking about the same novel and making subtle comparative notes with her character and Walker's.

This was a quick read but utterly depressing and rather graphic in the accounts of child abuse and rape so certainly not for everyone. I'm intrigued to read the novel 'Push' now, but think I need some light entertainment before I do as I have an inkling it will just plunge me into despair.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2010
Precious is a character that most of society would prefer not to read about - with her life story being a depressing sign of the times for how children are introduced to the mysterious world of adults - just at a time when their hormones are making life confusing enough. Be warned, for this book is hard to 'enjoy' - with the subject matter often jaw dropping with its shock value. The book is not a true story but based on people who have gone through similar experiences. I can well believe, however, that the stories in it are true, especially given the expose over here of the baby 'P' tragedy. In a sense this book is more than a tad voyeuristic - with the reader being allowed to dip into a world they (thankfully) can steer clear of. The moral, though, of the book is clear: why ignore the problems of society just because they are difficult? If one child is saved through someone reporting abuse then Push has achieved more than a host of Booker prize winning books or 'celebrity' memoirs. If you want a book to stretch you and make you look inside your own head then buy this. If you want to stick your head in the sand then buy Jordan's latest book.
If you like this then I also recommend another book about overcoming adversity: One Love Two Colours: The Unlikely Marriage of a Punk Rocker and His African Queen by Margaret Oshindele-Smith (my wife). This is the true story of a UK based Nigerian woman and her marriage to a white working-class punk (me!) - another difficult book but one with an inspiring message.
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2001
"Push"is an eye opener;exploring the harsh and destructive ways of life that are experienced by many unfortunate people in todays' society.It explores vividly the abuse of one girl,abuse that is both sexual,physical and mental, experienced at the hands of both her mother and her father.It is disturbing and plays on the mind afterwards,therefore the author ultimately achieves their goal,as the message that is conveyed throughout the novel stays with us and challenges our views on society,on life and on childhood and the loss of innocence.The novel mixes humour with poetry and is heavily weighted with adversity.The story is gripping and I found this novel impossible to put down,in fact I read it in about 3 hours,but it's contenet stayed with me for days afterwards.The voice demands attention and concentration and the novel made me experience a variety of emotions.The writing is extremely powerful,directly engaging the audience with the main character Precious,so much so that you cheer her on and pray that she makes a go of life and an escape from her oppressive childhood. The novel tackles issues of the day in a complately effective and engaging way voicing concerns of many in a vivid and descriptive way that sickens the reader.It is impossible to say that the book is throroughly enjoyable because the content is so disturbing and sickening,but it demands to be read and it truly is an admirable and fantastically inspiring novel.
on 6 April 2011
Here's one that really surprised me. Push by Sapphire is the book that the movie Precious was based on. I haven't seen the movie and I didn't know beforehand the extent of which this book would go to. Wow. I finished it of an evening (it isn't very long at all) and absolutely mesmerised by the character of Precious Jones. What a resilient and courageous character.

Precious Jones, is 16 and illiterate. When she's kicked out of school for being pregnant (for the second time and by her father) she is given the opportunity to attend an alternative school instead. There, surrounded by other young people in similar circumstances, Precious is able to learn in a more supportive environment with a teacher and other students who care about her. All of her life, Precious has been abused, sexually by her father, physically and emotionally by her mother. She's foul-mouthed and angry at the start and as the story continues she doesn't lose any of that attitude. But she is able to see more clearly, her worth, and her capabilities.

I really loved the message of this novel, to keep pushing forward and working hard to make something of yourself, to go after your dreams. I did find it a little difficult to read Precious' story as it's a written diary with spelling mistakes and bad grammar, but once I was used to the feel of it, I couldn't put this book down. Precious is a wonderful character, who I'll have a hard time forgetting.
on 22 May 2002
Push documents the life of 16year old Precious,who is pregnant to her father for the second time and receives abuse not only from him, but also from her mother,her peers,figures of authority such as her teachers, but most of all from society.The book documents her struggles to survive and her story is one that has to inspire.Although the contents of the book may be shocking and horrifying, they are true to life as each and every day we hear reports about severe cases of abuse of children,adults,power etc.The book is superbly written in the language of Precious herself,meaning that it is at first difficult to understand,being somewhat illiterate.However,the reader is invited to travel with Precious through her world and through her achievements.The whole book is a story of strength,perserverance and determination.