Push: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2016
It was difficult to read in terms of the spelling throughout the book and the whole storyline with Precious being raped by her mother and father. It was hard to understand most words as Precious cannot read or write and it showed in the words in the book (mainly at the start and middle) I watched the film first so I was able to have the image of the girl who played Precious in my head. Overall good book apart from the lack of grammar throughout.
on 13 May 2017
Bought after watching the film heartbreaking a good read.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 July 2013
Well I saw the movie and I thought it was horrific, but I wanted to get a little bit more from the story and I wanted to get to know the characters more intimately, and the book is just as dark, cold, stark, lonely, fear-inducing as the movie, but I mean those it all the kindest ways, because the characters in the book are so intriguing and so human that it's so worth the read. The follow up book "The Kid" is a must read too, its a lot longer and follows some of the same characters after the events of Push.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 July 2017
the writing was quite hard to read (especially at the beginning) but nonetheless it was a good read however i did like the movie a little bit more
2 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2017
Very moving book. I would recommend it as a good novel but it can be very disturbing in places
on 23 November 2010
When I started reading this book I struggled knowing that it was reality and that a preson really lived in a situation like this. By the time I reached the end of the book I knew there was hope out there for everyone.

However I have questions now that I have finished the book. Where is Precious now? Did she ever get her GED? Did she ever make a home for Mongol, the baby and herself?

The book shows how heartbreak and heartache can lead to a better life. She is an insperation to all.
on 6 May 2016
Sad and disturbing yet optimistic and, at times, very funny. Impossible to put down, both the book and Precious Jones, a character you'll find yourself rooting for immediately, and who demands that you discard your preconceptions of people, Highly recommended.
on 13 March 2010
Every now and again a book comes along that really makes you think- 'Push' is one such book

I'm really glad that i read this book- yes its uncomfortable reading, but its also very uplifting. Yes, its at times harrowing, but its also at other times funny. Yes, it makes you feel angry that such things could ever happen, but it is an important and relevant story that needed to be told. The sad reality is that there are many more young people in the U.K. who have to go through this type of abuse every day, than any of us realise. Hopefully this book can create more knowledge, understanding and awareness of abuse, and will encourage more people to support organisations such as ChildLine.

In the book, Precious describes how the 'Colour Purple' is one of her favourite books... well, in my opinion 'Push' is the modern day 'Colour Purple'- It is a difficult read, but my advice is to persist, its well worth it in the end.
on 15 March 2014
I have watched the movies however I feel that the book was a lot better than the movie. The movie missed out many parts to this story however the book provides what the movie missed.

A good read
on 15 April 2015
Quite a distressing read. However, I enjoyed it. The book does well to put across the wretchedness of her life; it makes one wonder if girls lives can really be like this?