Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2016
They say that the book is always better than the film. I usually agree but not this time.

It's entertaining while it lasts but is a sickeningly short book. It makes you realise what a great job the film makers did in developing the story.

If you are expecting the book to, even loosely, follow the format of the movie we all loved, you are likely to be disappointed. It's as if the book came later but they left out 15 chapters.

Save yourself a fiver and watch the movie again.
on 13 November 2013
I saw the film and the London show before picking up this 1980's book. The dialog is still hilarious, and the basis for the stage show, but Alan Parker's 1991 film added so much to the plot and expanded the basic characters so effectively that I was disappointed in the book. If you've had no contact with this Dublin fable it's still fascinating. If you know the film then don't bother - except as a piece of research.
on 11 February 2014
Fascinating 'episode' in the life of a fictional soul band in Ireland, their beginnings and rise to their climax together. Doyle brings out angst and soul, of the unemployed and under used, the talented but looked over, the struggles of getting on day by day suddenly given hope and a dream and what they do with it.

Oddly written in a way, almost like a script, but good fun for what it is.
on 30 November 1999
This book engages its readers into the trials and tribulations of Jimmy Rabbitte who wants to start up a soul band. Along the way we meet the likes of Joey 'the lips', who is a middle aged man who claims to have played with all the soul greatsbut he is about as hip as an old man wearing slippers, and Deco who is violent with the microphone and all of the band hate but is kept because he has one of the greatest soul voices. It is really funny and the writng style of Doyle is great as he uses colloquial language which moves at such a fast comical pace.
on 28 February 2012
The book that inspired the film is a great read, filled with hope and optimism that made the film such a hit, If like me you've seen the film you'll hear the voices jump out the book at you as you laugh through each chapter, It really is an enjoyable read from start to finish.
on 13 October 2013
So far I have been unable to get into this book so it perhaps is unfair to rate it as I haven't actually read it. I'll try again one day but for the moment it has failed to rope me in.
on 6 December 2013
My boyfriend, who is Irish, recommended that I read this. But I have to admit that I didn't really get why he finds it funny. Without the cultural context, it's a bit of a boring read.
on 14 December 2013
For once the fil was better than the book for me. I bought it as I had seen the film. Wish I had not bothered
on 24 April 2014
Brilliant book. Plenty of laugh out loud moments! Quite short but sweet. I've seen the film the show and now read the book. All worth it!
on 2 September 2014
Written before its time...

Doyle's rapid, dialogue-heavy narrative is a style more suited to the current igeneration where heavy prose may seem an antiquated style.

His acerbic wit shows through the characters' snappy repartee allowing the story to fly by so quickly that, before you realise, you are turning the final page.

Although I've heard of Roddy Doyle for years, I have only just begun reading his work. It is unlikely this will be my final meeting with his work - he is a true magician of modern writing