Customer reviews

Borderlands
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 June 2016
I have admired Mike Dash's books for a long time, Thus it saddens me to have to write a negative review. This book covers a serious subject, but is not at all enlightening. I give one example, there is a photograph of the Marian apparitions at Zeitoun in Egypt. They are not dicussed in the text but relegated to back notes. This not good enough as the Zeitoun apparitions have not been exposed as any kind of hoax despite years of examination and study. Similar superficiality is to be found in other phenomena studies. One expects better of the author of "Batavia's Graveyard."
on 12 July 2017
Very interesting. If you are going to read one book on the paranormal, read this!
on 25 January 2015
An interesting collection of strange stories and paranormal activities from all over the world. A very interesting and informative book.
on 12 April 2017
Excellent
on 27 February 2014
I was a fan of the 'Fortean' topics contained within this book; ghosts, UFOs, ESP, Bigfoot, etc. Although by no means naive or accepting of any old tale which comes my way, I wanted to believe in these esoteric concepts; I wanted to keep an element of mystery and the unknown on my radar. Mr Dash has written a very thorough book, examining many of the common topics which are associated with the Borderlands and studies the contemporary accounts and evidence supporting each theme. He reveals, albeit sensitively, the total lack of proper, solid, secure, credible evidence for all of it. Years and years and years of investigation by all manner of people prove very little, if anything. Should I thank Mr Dash for opening my eyes to this fact? Or should I be upset? Not sure - I did cancel my Fortean Times subscription on the back of reading this book though.
on 5 November 1999
I was lucky enough to find the hardback edition of this book being sold really cheaply and I've never regretted buying it. It deals with the full breadth of the 'fringe' phenomena. The book is well written and by turns, informative, amazing and amusing. Dash walks a tightrope between impartiality and outright scepticism. Particularly amusing is the way he completely takes apart the legend of the Loch Ness monster. There is such a wealth of information here that I seem to get something new out of his book each time I read it. I don't agree all his conclusions especially about UFOs being a product of 'fantasy prone' individuals but most of the time he seems to hit the bulls eye.
on 2 December 2010
An open-minded but sceptical inquiry into mysterious phenomenon. Probably the best book I have read on the subject. It was very convincing and rigorous.
on 6 November 1998
Dash provides parascientific proof that the truth is indeed out there. Compulsive reading for anyone who believes we are not alone.
on 24 September 1999
I'm currently re-reading this book a year after I first bought it and I'm still struck by how well written it is. It retains a sense of mystery and wonder even though it's a well balanced and often sceptical (but not absurdly so) account of a vast number of unexplained phenomena. The conclusions the author reaches are the most convincing explanations for these incidents that I have ever encountered.
on 30 October 2014