Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now

I cannot believe this is my FIRST Sandra Brown book I have read! Why is that!

If this book is anything to go by, I need to get my finger out and read more of her books.

Here we have a young girl, Jade. She is so in love with her boyfriend. The thing is, her Mother doesn't approve of her choice, she wants her to marry someone more prominent in society and the home town they live, someone with prestige and money. The person is Neal. But she doesn't have feeling for him, in fact, she doesn't really like him eventhough they have known each other since children along with his other friends Dillon and the other lad.

Jade and her boyfriend are trying to do 'the right thing' as sex before marriage is shunned upon. But one day she confides in her Girlfriend that its all getting too much and she just wants to 'do it'. This is remembered in the next few chapters when all hell breaks loose and Jade arrives at the hospital, bloodied, torn and been ganged raped by the self same lads.

Without giving the story away, things are 'owned' by a certain person who heads the Police procedure which makes it very uncomfortable for Jade's Mother and others around this crime.

Mouths are shut.

But can this lay where it is?

Years later we pick up the story of Jade when she is now a successful business woman with money and prestige of her own.

She comes back to her home town hell bent and making people pay for the crime and violation that was reaped upon her.

Consequences of that rape, she now has a son. But who is the daddy?

What happens when she comes back?

This was a superbly written book. Hush Hush money, Hush Hush crime with threats if it leaks out.

I would like to add, the gang rape wasn't explicit so you don't have to suffer and cringe through that, imagination is enough.

Great book, and had me thoughtful throughout my read.

I would like to thank Grand Central Publishing via Net Galley for my copy
on 8 April 2015
First of all I just want to say that I am a fan of Sandra Brown's novels so I was really pleased to be able to take part in another blog tour for one of her books. If you want to check out the rest of the tour schedule then visit Xpresso Book Tours

This book was first published back in 1991 but because the initial storyline takes place in the 1970s & because the plot is so character driven it feels as though Sandra Brown could have written it yesterday. Don't let the fact that the book is almost 25 years old put you off reading it as it has truly stood the test of time.

At the beginning of the book we meet 18 year old Jade Sperry, she's the girl that has it all. She's beautiful, popular, has just received a full scholarship to college and is totally in love with her high school sweetheart, Gary Parker. However things take an unexpected turn for Jade one night when she is subjected to a brutal & violent attack that changes everything & her world begins to spiral out of control. The knock on effects of that fateful night leave Jade with both scars that run forever deep and a constant reminder of what happened.

Fast forward 15 years and we see a very different Jade. She has picked herself up, dusted herself off and now she is heading back to her home town of Palmetto hell bent on revenge. She has a plan to take down everyone involved in the attack and the cover up that followed. She's determined that the good old boys club that stuck together and ensured that no one believed Jade's story all those years ago will be held responsible for their actions.

We also have our hero, Dillon Burke who has also been traumatised by tragic events from his past. Since losing his family he has been a loner and moving around working on building site doing manual labour. I must admit that Dillon's story caught me a little off guard when we are first introduced to his story as it seems totally unrelated to what is going on with the rest of the story. I really couldn't work out where Brown was going with his story arc & even found myself thinking that maybe the e-book I was reading had been corrupted with another story. However once Jade meets Dillon whilst looking for a project manager for the newest development her firm are working on all the pieces begin to fall in place.

What follows is the journey of a strong woman heading back home to face her demons and a man who carries his own demons with him supporting her and teaching her to be able to trust men again. Jade has been left so scarred by the events of that night all those years ago that relationships of any kind have always been very difficult for her.

This book had some really wonderful and some really despicable characters. Jade is such a fantastic character, she is strong and driven and so determined not to be defined by what happened to her. She is a character who due to what we see happen to her we are instantly drawn to her and on her side. She goes on one heck of a journey to put her life back together. Then we have the ring leader of the group who attacked Jade, Neal Patchett who along with his father is truly one of the most detestable characters I have ever come across in a book. He has no redeeming qualities what so ever. He's a man driven by jealousy and always used to getting his own way and his sense of entitlement is strong believing that he can have whatever he wants.

I loved the relationship that Jade had with the college dean and his wife who take her in when she has absolutely no one left to turn to. All of sudden she feels warmth and acceptance for the first time and the bond between them is very clear and carries through right to the end of the book. Then their was the friendship that Jade had with Hank who so obviously wanted more from her but was happy to just be friends if it meant keeping her in his life.

At times the book was a little obvious and it certainly made for some uncomfortable reading but Sandra Brown handles Jade's character sensitively and this led to me being hit quite hard emotionally. I would have liked more from the ending and this is the reason I have only given Breath of Scandal 5 stars as it all fell a little flat but I was so pleased that justice was served in Jade's own unique way. The book is a fast paced and addictive read and I devoured it really quickly eager to see that the those involved in the scandal got their come-uppances. Sandra Brown is truly the Queen of romantic suspense and I highly recommend giving this book a read if you a fan of the genre.
on 1 April 2015
This is a great book. One of those stories where you are so enticed by the idea of a proper revenge that you wish you could jump into the setting and help the main character exact it.

Jade Sperry is a strong female character, but she doesn't have the annoying feminist qualities that a lot of authors choose to push when they write a story centred around a rape. I liked her determined spirit and the thoughtful way she planned things in this story. The author managed to keep her human and show both her suffering and her power to forgive. It was quite a story.

One thing that remains true of all Sandra Brown books I have read, is her ability to make you feel the atmosphere her books are set in. You can smell the night air and feel the breeze on your skin, and for me, that really helps me to get involved in the story on a more personal level. This book kept me up two nights in a row.

Recommended.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher and provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
on 3 November 2015
an interesting and rather depressing one about a young lady and here early life and her encounter with some difficult arrogant young men
on 3 July 2016
Very quick service. But the book was a bit boring & not as good as her other books.
on 12 May 2015
Love anything written by Sandra Brown another great read she never disappoints
on 24 July 2016
Have not read this author before not to bad but like my certain Authors
on 26 July 2015
as usual a cracker of a novel from Sandra Brown
on 19 October 2015
Same as before loved it.
on 15 December 2000
I started this book and just couldn't resign myself to stop reading!A real page-turner! Written in a beautifull way, you get caught into it from the very first page, and the characters stay with you long after you've finished reading.