Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 November 2006
All Claire Danvers wanted was a normal college experience. Preferably somewhere far away, but when her parents send her to Morganville, Texas, she's still glad to be going to college, even if she is, at sixteen, the youngest college student around. Morganville is a small college town, and Claire's prepared to make the best of her fresh start. Unfortunately, things don't turn out the way anyone expected or wanted them to.

At first, Claire's existence is made miserable by a few girls in her dorm who torment her. Dorm life, for Claire, is not all it's cracked up to be--in fact, it's pretty much as miserable as she thinks it can get, so Claire decides to move out and find a place off-campus. Luck is with her; she ends up at a spooky-looking mansion with a room she can actually afford, and three roommates who actually turn out to be pretty cool, even if they have reservations about letting her move in at first. Michael, Shane, and Eve are all eighteen, and Claire's a couple of years younger.

If Claire thought being harassed in her dorm was bad, she didn't know Morganville's secrets. When she moves out of the dorm, however, she learns that there's more to Morganville than there seems to be. The town is run by vampires. Yes, actual vampires that can't go out in the daytime and drink human blood at night. If Claire's not careful, it could end up being her blood they're drinking...

GLASS HOUSES is a great book for fans of vampire novels. Claire and her roommates are quite likeable as characters, and, perhaps making the book even better, the bad guys are just as easy to hate as the inhabitants of the Glass House are to like. In Morganville, Rachel Caine has created a mysterious, intriguing, and spooky town run by the undead (I was a bit

reminded of Buffy's hometown of Sunnydale). The writing is great, and there are few flaws in this awesome book.

Claire doesn't ask nearly as many questions as might be expected of someone who had just been let in on the secret that she's living in a town run by vampires; it seems like that might be a way of keeping some questions and suspense in the story, but it struck me as a bit unrealistic while reading. Even with its minor flaws, though, this is a book that will have readers hooked and ready for more in this series!

Reviewed by: Jocelyn Pearce
on 13 October 2006
I love Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series and was keen to read this, the first in a new series subtitled "The Morganville Vampires". However, this book is VERY different from the Weather Warden series - our heroine is a 16 year old girl going off to College. As an English woman the American college system seems very bizarre at the best of times but Claire's experiences in her first six weeks at her new college in Morganville are even stranger. She's a bit of a brainy nerd and pretty soon falls foul of Monica, the 'cool but dim' girl who, with her acolytes, virtually runs the college. They gang up against Claire and, in order to escape various attempts to harm her, some successful, Claire moves out and starts living in an old house with two young men, Shane and Michael, and a goth girl, Eve. Once there she begins to find out some very strange things about the town of Morganville, its residents and the rules that she needs to know to be protected from the evil things out there.

Claire's discoveries of the strange events that take place in Morganville unfold through the course of the book - she discovers vampires, ghosts, a long-lost secret book - whilst having to deal with injuries, a crush on one of the young men in her house and her parents' protectiveness.

The book moves along fairly swiftly and it's interesting and well-written but I can't give it more than three stars because, for me, it was unsatisfying as it was more a book for teenagers. I'm over twice Claire's age and I just can't identify with her - or even with the setting of the college and the events taking place there. Probably it's great fun for young adults who are interested in the vampire genre but don't want anything too gory or too full of sex. I expected another novel like the Weather Warden series for adults and the information on the book's cover didn't warn me otherwise.
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2012
Below is a list of all of the books in order that are in the series so far

Glass House
Carpe Corpus
Fade Out
Kiss of Death
Ghost Town

Let me just begin by saying that I am a huge fan of this series and If you haven't started reading it, do so right now. I read the complete thing (books 1-9) in less than a week. It was that addicting. Anyways, like the other books, Ghost Town was beautifully written and included all of the elements that I love about this series. There is tons of mystery, excitement, romance and humor.I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical going into book 9, I mean usually by this point, a series starts to go off the deep end. Honestly, how far can you take the same set of characters? And how exactly do you follow up a villian like Bishop? But somehow Caine managed to keep things going strong, by pulling out all the stops. Tell me what is more frightening than having everyone you know and love forget you? Claire is as feisty and determined as ever. She, once again, gets herself in an undesirable predicament. As a punishment, she is forced to fix the machine that wipes the memories of those who leave Morganville. Well, of course, something goes wrong and people (and vampires) start loosing their memories. Those who are infected are taken back mentally to three years ago. Let's just say that chaos ensues. Soon, Claire has no choice but to try and fix the machine and she is forced to make some unlikely alliances along the way. There is plenty of excitement within the book, just like you would come to expect from this series. There are also a number of twists throughout the plot, I don't want to give too much away, but they certainly keep you on your toes. All of your favorite characters are back and ready for action, Eve, Michael, Shane, Mrynin, Amelie and Oliver are all featured throughout the book. I think what makes this series so great is the relationships between the characters. Not only are there great romantic relationships, but there are also a number of awesome friendships. I love the fab four - Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael; I just think they mesh well together. They always have each others back and each one of them would put themselves on the line for the other three. The connection these characters have is really a focus in this book - especially when people start loosing their memories. Caine really does a beautiful job showing how they all sort of gravitate towards each other. All in all, Ghost Town was a great addition to the series. Everything that you love about this series continues in book 9, including the sarcasm, humor, excitement, danger, romance and superb storytelling. I'll say it again, if you haven't read this series yet, you really, really, need to. It is never to late to dive into a series, in fact I prefer it because you don't have to wait as long to see what happens next!
on 3 November 2006
I bought this book because I really enjoyed Rachel Caine's Firewarden series. This book is aimed at teenagers not adults and I'm not surprised another reviewer had the same problems I did.

Amazon please don't list this as adult fiction it isn't!
on 30 October 2011
To make it clear from the start, Glass Houses is squarely aimed at teenage girls, and this should be borne in mind by older people considering reading it. I'm a 53 year old man with a love of fantasy books, so I still enjoyed it, but the target readership was evident, and it did somewhat take the edge off it. You also have to suspend a LOT of disbelief to accept the basic premise for this book (and the others in the series): the idea that you can have a sizeable town in the US which no one outside is aware is controlled by vampires. This is never entirely made credible, despite various plot devices. If you can get past that though, you'll be okay.

What makes it more enjoyable than many others in the genre, especially those aimed at older readers, is the likeability of the central characters. Despite the remarks above, yes, an adult man can enjoy it too: it avoids the sometimes excessive gore, sex, and pretension of the more heavyweight books. Being a vampire book it's obviously gory, and has some slightly lustful moments, but there are also some rather charming romantic scenes, and all is balanced out by good humour and nicely clear-cut characters. You like the good guys and detest the bad guys: all is as it should be.

The only thing that irked me rather was that while it is fairly self-contained, the ending does pretty well require you to get the next book in the series if you want to find what's going on, which is a technique I find somewhat annoying. Obviously not a problem if you like the books, but irritating otherwise.

To sum up, don't expect Ann Rice, but do expect a comfortable, undemanding read.
on 18 November 2006
The main characters are teenagers but there is a bit more to it than teen lit, or I must be approaching my second childhood since I really enjoyed it. The story could have done with a bit more depth, but it was very atmospheric and a good tale in its own right although it is evidently setting the scene for a new series, which I am looking forward to.
on 4 February 2009
Welcome to Morganville! Rachel Caine has fast become one of my favourite writers - she has a habit of constantly surprising me with her lively characters and the detailed worlds she creates (her Weather Wardens series is definitely worth reading as well). The vampire genre has become rather crowded of late, so it's refreshing to see such a unique take on the myth. Though the book deals with the supernatural and romance, the politics, rules and practicalities of living in Morganville are of equal interest. Claire has a habit of crying a lot (perhaps understandably - she really has a lot to deal with!) but she is an interesting character who develops well over the series. Perhaps not as well written as Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, but a hell of a lot more happens in Morganville and the energy and enthusiasm of Ms Caine's books are impossible to resist.
on 23 September 2011
A brilliant series and I think I've sort of fallen for Amalie, though I definitely wouldn't want to meet her on a dark night. As for Oliver I have a feeling he might have once been Oliver Cromwell. The idea of a human becoming a ghost and then a vampire is weird but fun. The goth character is equally wierd and I think its the wierdness of this series that attracts me to it. I've got books 1-10 but I've not read number 10 yet. How did Rachel Caine come up with the idea of a disease that kills vampires by destroying their minds? Extremely good and anyone that likes oddities or vampire books must read it. This review covers the whole series not just book one. As for the lead character she's so brilliant she makes Einstein look dumb. I love it.
Claire is only 16 but she is incredibly smart and has skipped two years at school to start college early. But being the youngest student at college isn't easy - especially when she manages to get on the wrong side of the meanest girls on campus, Monica and her followers. After a vicious attack leaves Claire injured and terrified of what the bullies might do next she feels she has no choice but to try and move off campus to avoid them. Luckily she meets Eve and finds out about a spare room at Glass House where Eve lives with her friends Michael and Shane. What she doesn't realise is how powerful Monica and her gang is and that Morganville is under control of something even worse.

I'm a massive fan of Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series and have heard nothing but good things about her Morganville books so I'm really not sure why it's taken me so long to get around to starting them. I'm glad I finally did though because Glass Houses is a great start to the series and I'm looking forward to reading more. In a way I'm glad that I'm so late to the Morganville party - it just means no long wait for the next book in the series!

Claire is very young and innocent and she can come across as quite naive at times. I was worried at the beginning because she starts out quite weak but that just made me all the more proud of her when she finally started to stand up for herself. She still isn't the strongest character but she is getting there and her confidence grows throughout the story. The bullying in the story is extreme, I thought I had it bad at school but what I went through is nothing compared to what happens to Claire. Although there are vampires in the story (and they aren't pleasant vampires by any means), the worst bullying comes from other humans which I found refreshing in a paranormal story. It was also realistic - I think we all know just how evil some teenage girls can be!

I really liked Claire's roommates, you have Eve who is much stronger than Claire and more prepared to fight for what she believes in. Then there is Michael who is the owner of the house, he is the most mysterious character and it is obvious from early on that he is keeping secrets but I wasn't expecting the revelation about him. Michael is the one that looks after everybody else, he has been friends with Shane for years but takes in Eve and Claire just because he is worried for their safety. Finally you have Shane who was probably my favourite of the bunch, he is a bit of a player but he has a strong protective streak. As you find out more about his past it is easy to see why he feels so determined to keep his friends safe.

The plot moves along at a good pace, there are a few good twists and there is a killer cliffhanger (see it's a good thing I already have the next 8 books sitting on my shelves!) so overall this is a book I'd recommend to fans of young adult urban fantasy. Now I'm off to get started on my copy of The Dead Girl's Dance!
on 5 November 2016
I long ago grew out of that teenage vampire phase (thank whatever deity exists), yet my younger sister is currently in the midst of the phase (uh-oh). Of the books she has worked through this is the series she could not stop ranting and raving about. As I had not read this series in my vampire phase I decided – being somewhat tentative – to give it a try myself. I entered expecting the usual teenage vampire story clichés, yet I was pleasantly surprised. It turns out this is actually one of the better series out there.

I will admit I had quite a lot of annoyances at first. There are quite a few things you need to overlook before you can come to enjoy the series – namely the main character’s self-deprecating ways about her enjoying science (honestly, it’s enough to leave you banging your head against a wall). But as with all teenage vampire romance books there are going to be annoying factors, hence I worked through it. I guess the fact that I’d been expecting these things made it easier for me to deal with.

Still, throughout the enter series things do develop much more than you would expect based upon this first book and I would recommend carrying on (at least give the second book a go as it is much more enjoyable than this one, certainly a more worthy four stars than this scrapping to a four star read).

As a final note, I would just like to ask for a hell yeah regarding a protagonist who is not in love with a vampire!