Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 25 June 2009
This is a series that is growing on me more with each book. Midnight Alley picks up where The Dead Girls' Dance left off, with Claire having just sworn herself to Amelie, and currently hiding it from her friends. There are many, many secrets in Morganville, kept by everyone and everyone else wants to know. But knowing can get people killed. Still, nothing seems to stay secret for long, not with Claire around.

Midnight Alley introduces a interesting, if scary, powerful vampire to the scene. Hidden away, brilliant and rapidly going crazy, is Myrnin, a favourite of Amelies', he's Claire's new mentor (of sorts) and through him she begins to learn a lot more of the darker side of Morganville than she'd like. As if that wasn't enough, her best friends' psycho brother, Jason, is stalking both Claire and Eve, making the daylight as unsafe as night time for them. Boyfriends Shane and Michael are around to try and keep the girls safe, but there is only so much they can do before someone gets hurt.

Claire, Eve and Shane are also having to deal with the consequences of Michael's actions in the previous book, and it's not something that is easy for any of them, Shane in particular. But it adds an interesting subplot to the books and the tension that comes with it is pretty gripping.

I really enjoyed this book, and I'm glad I already had book 4 waiting for me so that the cliffhanger ending wasn't the killer it could have been. The plot here is still pretty tight and gripping, although not the edgiest or deepest I've read. It's all pretty easy to read, but there is enough depth to keep you really interested. Just when you think things can't get worse for Claire and her friends, that's exactly what happens. Whether it's new vampires wanting to munch on her, or her parents trying to stop her from living with a couple of 18 year old guys, it's all got to be dealt with. Hopefully without anyone being killed.

I still think it's more a teen series than a teen and adult one, but it's a very enjoyable one. There is some nice character development beginning to show, although it's slow to surface. The books follow on rapidly from one another, and don't cover a very long space of time, so you can't expect there to really be a lot. But Claire is a fast learner and as fast as things change in Morganville, that's a very good thing.
on 24 April 2017
Fantastic book 😁 Would recommend these books to read. Couldn't put book down
on 30 July 2017
excellent
on 21 February 2014
this book is a great read I have not put it down since started reading it. would definitely recommend to others
on 12 September 2017
It was very detailed and full of drama which is what I loved about this type of book very exciting stuff xx
on 25 September 2012
This is the third book in The Morganville Vampires series and with the previous book ending on such an exciting cliffhanger I couldn't wait to get started on this one.

The book started off with the after-effects from all the drama in book two, Claire's pledge fascinated me because I couldn't figure out what Amelie wanted her for. It was soon all revealed and I have to admit that I was surprised by what Amelie wanted Claire to do!

The group dynamics had definitely altered since Michael's change - this was clear right from the start and I began to wonder if the friends would ever return to what they had before. Shane had much more attitude this time around and seemed to be very angry all the time, this was a side of him I didn't really like.

Myrnin was an interesting new character, he made me feel so nervous even just reading the book, and I was very concerned for Claire whenever she was in his presence. He was completely crazy and unpredictable and he was written in such a way that it almost felt like I could feel his manic personality coming through the pages at me.

Jason (Eve's brother) made a small appearance in book two but in this one he is much more heavily involved with everything. He was another character who frightened me because of how unpredictable he was and I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of him yet!

The end saw a couple of shocking announcements, firstly from Claire's parents (I can't wait to see how that turns out) and secondly from a mysterious stranger (which was definitely a gasp out loud moment), this all means that I'm very much looking forward to starting on book four.

This book took me to a much darker and scarier place than the previous books and I think it's safe to say that I'm officially hooked on the series, I just can't get enough of them!

Another heart-pounding one day read that completely captured my imagination.
on 7 January 2012
Below is a list of all of the books in order that are in the series so far

Glass House
Carpe Corpus
Fade Out
Kiss of Death
Ghost Town

Let me just begin by saying that I am a huge fan of this series and If you haven't started reading it, do so right now. I read the complete thing (books 1-9) in less than a week. It was that addicting. Anyways, like the other books, Ghost Town was beautifully written and included all of the elements that I love about this series. There is tons of mystery, excitement, romance and humor.I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical going into book 9, I mean usually by this point, a series starts to go off the deep end. Honestly, how far can you take the same set of characters? And how exactly do you follow up a villian like Bishop? But somehow Caine managed to keep things going strong, by pulling out all the stops. Tell me what is more frightening than having everyone you know and love forget you? Claire is as feisty and determined as ever. She, once again, gets herself in an undesirable predicament. As a punishment, she is forced to fix the machine that wipes the memories of those who leave Morganville. Well, of course, something goes wrong and people (and vampires) start loosing their memories. Those who are infected are taken back mentally to three years ago. Let's just say that chaos ensues. Soon, Claire has no choice but to try and fix the machine and she is forced to make some unlikely alliances along the way. There is plenty of excitement within the book, just like you would come to expect from this series. There are also a number of twists throughout the plot, I don't want to give too much away, but they certainly keep you on your toes. All of your favorite characters are back and ready for action, Eve, Michael, Shane, Mrynin, Amelie and Oliver are all featured throughout the book. I think what makes this series so great is the relationships between the characters. Not only are there great romantic relationships, but there are also a number of awesome friendships. I love the fab four - Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael; I just think they mesh well together. They always have each others back and each one of them would put themselves on the line for the other three. The connection these characters have is really a focus in this book - especially when people start loosing their memories. Caine really does a beautiful job showing how they all sort of gravitate towards each other. All in all, Ghost Town was a great addition to the series. Everything that you love about this series continues in book 9, including the sarcasm, humor, excitement, danger, romance and superb storytelling. I'll say it again, if you haven't read this series yet, you really, really, need to. It is never to late to dive into a series, in fact I prefer it because you don't have to wait as long to see what happens next!
on 10 March 2016
When Eve and Shane saw that Shane's father killed Michael because he thought he was a vampire, they had no idea what was about to happen. They honestly thought that they would never see him again, but that wasn't the case, Claire knew that something was up with Michael as she discovered the truth about him one night, however the only way to set Michael free was for him to turn into a vampire. Whilst Claire and Eve are still adjusting to the changes and are coping with Michael being a vampire, Shane on the other hand couldn't care less that his friend is breathing (well just about) as to him Michael might as well be dead. We have learned recently that Shane has issues with the Vampires of Morganville as when he was younger his mother got killed by them which was a few months after his sister got killed in a fire, so it's completely understandable for Shane to not exactly love the vampires, but surly you'd think that because it was the only option for Michael to be there in person all the time that Shane would be backing up his friend.

However whilst everything seems to be slowly going back to the way things were, Claire is hiding a big secret from her housemates, the fact that Claire has signed herself over to Amelie who is head of the Morganville, she has only done this so that she can get protection on her boyfriend Shane, Eve and Michael. You can tell that she is scared to mention it to them as to her this was her only option, but you can surly imagine the reaction she is going to get from them all.

When they all find out what she's done and why she is constantly late back to the Glass house they aren't exactly happy as they find out that Claire has been summoned to help out Myrnin who is quite an old vampire. When Myrnin has had his fill of Lucid he can be as charming as ever and can engage with pretty much anyone, however it doesn't last very long so Claire has to make sure that he's had it in order for her to work with him otherwise he can get very angry and confused. For some reason Claire seems to have a soft spot for him, so she tries her hardest to make sure he does everything that he needs to do and make him very comfortable. I honestly love Myrnin as a character as when he is him charming self he is such a lovely character to read about and I imagine it would be quite interesting if he were there in real life so that you could engage with him as you wouldn't know what to expect from him. I do feel sorry for him throughout the book as Amelie has him locked in a cellar in a metal cage, so you do kind of feel for him as that shouldn't be how you treat anyone.

I'll be honest I was never sure of what to think of Amelie as she is always so cold towards everyone and I don't think that she'll ever grow on me but I'm looking forward to where the books will take me. I honestly love how Rachel Caine has wrote this series as whenever you think the plot is going to go one way, she completely changes the direction of it so that it keeps you engaged with the book and so that you are still completely hooked into reading it. I have always admired Rachel's work as it's so different to any other vampire books out there and I am grateful for the chance of having owned these books, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do
on 2 June 2015
Before you go any further please know that this is book three in a series so there may be book one (Glass Houses) and two (The Dead Girls' Dance) spoilers ahead.

A Bit of the Blurb

Now Claire has pledged herself to Amelie, the most powerful vampire in town. The protection her contract secures does little to reassure her friends. All of a sudden people are turning up dead, a stalker resurfaces from Claire's past, and an ancient bloodsucker extends a chilling invitation for private lessons in his secluded home.

My Review

I knew that overall I would enjoy reading this book because I enjoyed books one and two back in 2012 when I read them on the recommendation of my A'level English teacher - of all people. I was thrown into Midnight Alley a little rusty but it didn't take long to remember what was going on. The characters are so lively that I recognised them all and Caine was kind enough to only remind me of the most important plot points which I was glad for. I hate it when books give a detailed summary of the previous one, it gets on my nerves.

I went in knowing - as I always do with the Morganville books - that it wasn't going to be by any means a 'literary' piece. Caine isn't trying to make a point or wow you with ideas, she's just out to entertain you. And she's pretty damn good at that. One of the reasons I like these books so much is that they're so easy to read. At times I felt guilty for not picking up something that makes me look a little more intelligent but hey, you like what you like. Caine's taught me to enjoy whatever it is I like to read. It's not a big secret that vampire fiction is a guilty pleasure of mine and these books do a good job of quenching my thirst.

Another reason I love the Morganville books is that I've invested quite a lot into these characters at this point and I want to find out where they end up. Not to mention they're all different and relatable in bizarre ways. Their personality traits are louder in this universe than in real life so sometimes it felt a little caricature but that just made me smile. I'm sure Caine knew exactly what she was doing.

I've blabbed on enough about why I love these books but now I should take a moment to explain they're not perfect. Far from it. First of all, there was a lot of unnecessary description of people's clothes and actions for my liking. I don't care that so-and-so picked this up before sitting on this very specific part of the sofa. It felt as though Caine was trying to get as much out of her chapters as possible. I think I was correct in saying that because the weird unnecessary description disappeared as the plot fired up.

Adverbs! Yes, I know, I know, I won't go on. But seriously(!)? There were a lot more than I expected but I suppose I'm much better at spotting them now. These irritating words didn't annoy me back in 2012 and I'm sure books one and two are riddled with them also.

But the most painful thing about Midnight Alley was one huge mistake I found. Caine wrote 'Michael' when she meant 'Shane' in a super important scene and confused the hell out of me! I love these books but that's pretty unforgivable. How many people did that mistake go through before confusing me? I just couldn't believe it hadn't been spotted.

Overall though, Midnight Alley was a delight to read. I laughed out loud more than I usually do because the tone and narration are just spot on. The Morganville Vampire books will remain a guilty pleasure for a long time yet.

Evaluation

Overall 7/10

Would I recommend it? Yes. I thoroughly enjoy the Morganville Vampire books when I pick them up.

Would I look up the author? No. This one series is enough for me.

Midnight Alley was just as I expected. A familiar, entertaining read.

First Blogged Here: http://bit.ly/FangsClawsandWings
on 30 June 2012
I hadn't bothered to refresh my memory of the first two Morganville books before I picked this one up, but fortunately it wasn't that much of a problem. I think it may have been slightly better if I had, but I soon remembered the events of Glass Houses and Dead Girl's Dance. Luckily, Rachel Caine is fairly good at recapping - it's terrible when the next in a series doesn't gently poke your memory back into action. I thought Insurgent was a good example of that - the lack of recapping the first novel spoilt this book a little for me. That said, I definitely wouldn't start the series with Midnight Alley, as I'm pretty sure it'd make absolutely no sense.

For me, this series wouldn't be half what it is if it wasn't for Claire, the protagonist. She kind of reminds me of myself, and not necessarily in a good way. She's a tiny bit useless, but at least she knows it and she's academically clever. She's polite 100% of the time, even when it's more than justified not to be, and tends to just... flail, when problems turn up. Maybe it's because of her slightly flawed (but not overly so) personality, but she does seem like a believable character.

It's a shame the rest of the characters aren't as well rounded though.They seem to be somewhat plastic - characters that have a mold (the Goth one, the manly man, the artistic nice guy) but unfortunately just aren't filled out enough. However, the introduction of Myrnin (whose name has wormed its way into my head as 'Miffin,' unfortunately) is wonderful. He's a gifted vampire holed away in a dusty laboratory, trying to uncover the secrets of vampire lore. I hope he features in the rest of the series, as he's a fascinating new character. I also liked learning more about the creation of Morganville itself - it's an aspect that needed rounding out, and Rachel Caine has started along that line with this book.

Midnight Alley ends on a cliff-hanger, but not one that really makes me want to read on. Instead of frantically grabbing the fourth Morganville book, I don't really want to touch it ever. It's not a bad plot development at all, it just the story headed in a direction I personally didn't want it to. I've been assured that it's worthwhile, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I read this in just a few hours as I was so engrossed I just didn't want to leave it alone. It's just that much better written than normal YA and there's no inappropriate content for teens. The author makes a point of there being no sex because Claire's under-age and no drugs feature either. There's a little violence, but nothing inappropriate for over 13s. Hell, I'm 22 and even I appreciate a young adult book where the main character lives with her boyfriend and there's still no sexual content.

Although I didn't like the ending, I'll definitely be reading on. The introduction of Myrnin and more explanation about Morganville's existence hooked me - I can't understand why it took me this long to pick up the third book.