Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 November 2010
Seventh in the Charlie Fox series, this finds the bodyguard and ex-special forces trainee living in New York with her lover Sean Meyer. When her father appears on TV and makes some unexpected personal confessions, Charlie is forced to confront her troubled relationship with her parents and the impact they have on her life with Sean.

This is the best of the Zoe Sharp books I have read so far. The plotting runs seamlessly from the thriller element to the emotional, intertwining both with ease. Charlie's fraught relationships take centre stage, and Sharp does a good job of allowing characters to develop and modulate their positions without acting out of character. Another excellent read.
on 17 August 2009
Zoe Sharp continues to delight with Third Strike, the latest in her series of Charlie Fox thrillers. If you like heroines who are truly three-dimensional combining feistiness with intelligence and a smattering of vulnerability you will love Charlie Fox!

Once again the action takes place in both the US and the UK and includes the usual twists and turns that keep you in suspense from start to finish.

Definitely a must-read for all thriller fans!
Seventh in the wonderful Charlie Fox series, this finds the bodyguard and ex-special forces trainee living in New York with her lover Sean Meyer. When her father appears on TV and makes some unexpected personal confessions, Charlie is forced to confront her troubled relationship with her parents and the impact they have on her life with Sean.

This is one of my favourite entries in what is a brilliant series. The plotting runs seamlessly from the thriller element to the emotional, intertwining both with ease. Charlie's fraught relationships take centre stage, and Sharp does a fabulous job of allowing characters to develop and modulate their positions without acting out of character.

I've been re-reading this series and all the books stand up excellently the second time around - in the case of this book I read it so fast the first time desperate to find out what happens next that it's almost more enjoyable to savour it and really see how beautifully Sharp brings it all together - fabulous!
on 17 April 2016
Love it...read this as recommended by Lee Child. It was my first encounter with Charlie Fox - couldn't put it down till I finished the last page...then read the next 8 all in three weeks. Since then I went back and reread them all in order.

I work in a library and often am asked what I can recommend - not one person has been disappointed with Zoe Sharp's books...only that there isn't an endless supply to choose more from!
VINE VOICEon 25 June 2012
I'm always a bit doubtful when well respected authors help to promote someone else's books and this one turned out to be no exception. The book's okay and, if you've followed the all-action female hero, you know what to expect. And that's just the trouble. There is little that is unexpected in this book, except that Charlie Fox's parents play almost centre stage, a really strange turn of events, given that they have appeared in earlier books to be rather less than adventurous.

As before, in the first few pages Charlie takes out her stress on an unsuspecting bloke and, strangely, the poor sap agrees to help her later in the book when no-one else will. Must be her winning ways with men. Which leads me nicely on to Sean Meyer, another strong-armed warrior, the protector of females - well, one, anyway - when they land themselves in deep trouble. This, of course, is what Charlie does very well. Frankly, she wouldn't stand a chance in other books but there we are. This series is about her so we have to go with the flow. Except that without Meyer, there would be no flow. He doesn't say much; he's always right but then, as far as I remember he's ex-Special Forces so that's all right then, too. Anyway, he's given the role of looking as though he knows what he's doing which is, in fact, a big help, otherwise no book 4 in this series.

The storyline is bizarre but inevitable; authors need to include new twists on heavyweight crime in order to sell books. A crooked top man in a certain US agency, his mind-numbingly stupid helpers, suffering the ignominy of distorted facial features thanks to Charlie's cruel ways and yet another main man who can pull strings just when they're needed. It's all a bit precious, really.

I won't spoil the ending because it's the only reason I will give book 4 a try. I just have to see where the author takes this turn of events. I'm not hopeful. She pads out her stories far too much for my taste actually so book 4 may not be the eye-opener I am wishing for. We shall see.
on 16 December 2015
I really enjoyed this. book and it was nice to have a woman as the hero instead of the normal macho man
the author made the story come alive as was very descriptive about the surroundings etc I have already bought the next book in the series and am confident that I will enjoy it as much as the first

Add it co.e A
on 3 July 2010
I was given First Strike to read while on holiday and have been a fan of Charlie Fox ever since. Third Strike is again based in the US where Charlie and Sean have relocated to. In this book we see a different side to Charlie as we gain a better insight into her difficult relationships with both her parents and Sean. Someone is determined to destroy her father's reputation even if it means murder. Can Charlie and Sean protect her parents long enough to neutralise the threat or will someone she loves die.
on 27 January 2009
Charlie Fox [nee Charlotte Foxcroft] is now living in New York City, away from the England of her birth, six months into her recovery from a near-fatal double gunshot injury. Both Charlie and her lover/colleague, Sean Meyer, are now working for Parker Armstrong's very exclusive close-protection agency in that city, alienating her even more from her parents. Charlie has an interesting background, as she describes it: "I had a fractured career dogged by scandal; an ability to kill without hesitation that even I shied away from exploring; no relationship with my parents to speak of; and a lover who'd been at least as damaged by this life as I had."

To her astonishment, one day Charlie sees her father, a highly respected and world-recognized UK surgeon, being interviewed by a local TV reporter who has elicited some stunning admissions certain to, at the very least, disgrace him and completely destroy his personal and professional reputation, including alcoholism and being complicit in the death of a man who was a patient and life-long friend. Disbelieving, and determined to get to the truth, Charlie and Sean take on the investigation when the resulting scandal directly affects not only her parents, but Charlie and Sean and the company they work for as well.

The title has a double meaning, as much for its use in the American criminal justice system as for the number of `chances' her parents had given Charlie to, as they see it, find the error of her ways and come home, of course without Sean. She is still fighting to gain their trust and their respect, for him and for herself.

In an acerbic tone that seems to fit her perfectly, Charlie is a take-no-prisoners kinda gal [as is, one gets the impression, her creator]. The book is another fast-paced, well-plotted and winning entry in the series, which just keeps getting better. Recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 February 2014
WOW! My heart really can’t take much more when it comes to Charlie Fox. For those of you that haven’t read a Zoe Sharp book you may want to not continue to read this review as it will inevitably contain spoilers (especially if you are reading the series from the beginning). With that to one side, I am now on to my third Fox book in succession and I’m about to start the next one!

In this book, Charlie is still recovering from her injuries from her last job. Whilst progress is slow, she is now ready to be back in the field. With her and Sean now working in the US, Charlie has no idea that her next assignment will be a lot closer to home. Throughout the series we have seen Charlie struggle with her parents and their relationship has always been difficult. Charlie is ex-Special Forces and she has more battle wounds, both physical and emotional, than most. Charlie’s parents have a very bizarre relationship with Charlie and it was actually wonderful to realise that it was finally time that her father had to accept help from Charlie.

The whole situation is completely out of character for Charlie’s Dad Richard, and Charlie along with Sean are determined to find out the truth about why Richard’s reputation is being sullied. From the very beginning of this book I was absolutely gripped. The story had taken a personal turn of events which drew me in even more. In addition to the precarious situations presented to them, we get to see the more personal relationships flounder. This, like the last book, was read in under a day and to be honest by the time I got to the end, I just sat there gaping for a few minutes.

Not only did this book have everything a Sharp book normally has (action, danger, and loads of shooting), it also had the best ending. Zoe Sharp, you naughty lady, you knew full well that the majority of people who finish this book will HAVE to get the next one…great move. This is by far the BEST in the series so far and I have decided I may as well make this a marathon and go for the fourth book in as many days. I can honestly say that if you haven’t read Zoe Sharp’s Charlie Fox series you are seriously missing out!!! AN absolute AMAZING read which I highly recommend!
on 22 May 2014
Recommended. Zoe is a great story teller and keeps your attention throughout. She brings the Characters to life and tells how it is