Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 September 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this series of books, I love the author's descriptive manor and I feel totally absorbed into the era. The twists and turns keep you on your toes to work out who did the dastardly deed and why!
on 17 February 2013
If you have been following this series from the beginning! You will be pleased at the outcome! I hope there may be more, however it is not likely! This aside I strongly recommend this series to all suspense lovers!
on 1 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It was worth waiting for.
Anna Dean captures the period and develops the characters very well.
I hope there will be further Dido Kent mysteries to enjoy.
on 23 February 2013
If you like reading the works of Jane Austen you'll love this. Anna Dean has captured the mood of the period she has chosen to write about. I really enjoyed reading it.
on 9 December 2012
I have read the other books in this series and have been enjoying this one too. Great theme, and really like the mystery and suspense you get with Anna Dean books.
on 23 April 2015
The Dido Kent series is a real find. I love all the Jane Austen allusions, and the shameless quotations. I do hope that the author keeps going with them.
on 24 December 2013
Just as with the other Dido Kent stories, this one has the right historical feel and the mystery is engaging and keeps you wanting to read to the end
on 2 July 2013
Tasteful and clever, this is an Agatha Christie-type whodunnit which most reviewers say could have been written by Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer. It's certainly set in Austen and Heyer territory, but I found it to be more of a pastiche, well observed, but a too obvious and sometimes inaccurate imitation. The manners are far too modern and free for Austen, and no Regency gent would say the word 'damned' in front of a lady in a Heyer novel!
Depending on how you like your murder mysteries, you might also be irritated by the vast number of red herrings (at some point, every single member of this country house party comes under suspicion), and the endless twists and turns (every time something new is about to be revealed, there's a diversion while the author describes a rippling stream, or summer foliage). It was all a bit too superficial and clunky for me.
I didn't find that I was much of a fan of Miss Dido Kent, either: unlike a Heyer heroine, I couldn't manage to picture her clearly, and I found her love story to be unconvincing (again, not something I have any trouble with in Austen or Heyer).
And finally, though this is a bit nitpicking, I loathe that twee cover, trying very hard to look like a novel published in the Austen era. More fake than charming in my eyes - a bit like the book itself.
All at matter of taste, of course. I didn't hate it, and will probably read more books by 'Miss Anna Dean' if I come across them in the library.
on 13 April 2014
I had read the first three Dido Kent books, which I got in a set, and loved them so this was a fitting finale.
on 9 January 2013
Really enjoyed the style, it brings the whole era to life. I thought it was witty and very clever plot.