on 18 October 2006
The Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine has just been a delight to read! It's definitely worth reading them in order as otherwise they might get rather confusing but the standard of the writing is consistent throughout.

Book 5 starts where book 4 (Ill Wind) left off - the Djinn have been released from their bond with humanity and Mother Earth is waking up. David, Joanne's lover, has now become head honcho of the Djinn and his and Joanne's baby has been born - as a full grown adult, Imara.

Firestorm carries on the theme of the other books - there is a lot of long-distance driving, loving description of flashy cars, injuries, confusion, weather changing, fires, Djinn... everything that we loved about the previous books is here. Paul, Lewis, Marion and others appear again - as does Joanne's sister Sarah and her evil lover. In fact, Joanne seems to have no end of things on her plate in this book at the same time - not only is she trying to save the world, she's also trying to help her daughter feel worthwhile, to rescue her sister, to look after her friends... the list is endless.

I feared at the end of the last book that David wouldn't be part of the story now, or would be a baddie - fortunately that's not so. We have the ready-made baddie Ashan, of course, who gets a bigger part in this story, plus the three Oracles who are new characters and very significant.

When starting this book I wondered if it would tie up all the loose ends and finish the series, knowing that Rachel Caine has now started the Morganville Vampires series. But no, this book ends up with more loose ends, not less, at the end, and the sample chapter of the next book shows it's going to be fascinating.

What do I like so much about these books? I think it's the heroine - she's such fun! She has to make some pretty major decisions in this book and I like the fact that things don't go all right for her all the time. Still, it's amazing she's still alive with all the hardships she faces.

Read this book - it's a great way to spend an afternoon!
on 8 July 2011
Book five of the Weather Warden series. Previous books are Ill Wind, Heat Stroke, Chill Factor and Windfall.

After the ending in Windfall, Jo has to work out how to stop Mother Nature waking up fully and destroying the world. David can only help so much 'cos, if she wants him, Mother Nature has full control over all the Djinn, and they have no way of fighting it. And as if that wasn't bad enough, not all the Djinn are on the same wavelength. Ashan and a small group of Djinn are set on letting Mother Nature win this battle. But Jo is determined to fight as much as she can and must talk to Mother Nature to convince her to stop. And yes, that is as hard as it sounds.

I was a tad miffed at Rachel Caine and her treatment of David in previous books but this series has quickly dragged me back in again. I lovelovelove David and Jo and want them to be happy but I realise this is not at all possible. But I still want them to be together as much as they can.

The story in this book was amazing, real apocalypse style. And since it involved the end of the world it's a story that you feel fairly strong about! It was very emotional at times as well, not a lot can upset me but Rachel managed it in spades with this one. I said it before and I'll say it again ~ if you've read the rest of the series, you have to read the rest (LAW, remember?).

Also, if you haven't read the rest of the series? What are you waiting for??? Get started now!!
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2006
Could not put this book down as my husband will tell you when he woke at 3am to tell me to put the light out!

Really like the characters in this and the other 4 books, I really liked Imara as a new character, and I wish Sarah would get a kick up the bum!

I think that you could read this as a start but I recommend you read the rest of the series first due to it might be confusing.

I recommend this book wholeheartedly just don't read if you have to really do something as i ended up reading in the loo so i could finish it and not wake my other half up!!! Dedication or what!
on 17 September 2010
It will be hard to review the book without at least giving some hints about what has happened in previous books but I'll try to give away as little as possible. I would point out that if you like the sound of this book then I would strongly recommend you start with Ill Wind & read the series in order. There is so much going on in the series that although you can read the books as stand alone stories it really is much better to read them in order to get the full experience.

Like the first 4 books Firestorm is very fast paced & action packed from beginning to end. I love the character Joanne, she has a great sense of humor and is devoted to her family & friends. She is willing to fight for what she believes in & despite the fact that things often go wrong for her she refuses to give up.

I love the chemistry between her & her boyfriend David, although we see less of this than usual in this book. Although I would have liked to see more of David I can see why that was impossible at this point in the storyline & there was just enough of him in there to keep things interesting. We also see a few of the other characters we've known & loved in the earlier books including Wardens Lewis & Paul and Djinn Rahel & Venna.

I really liked the major new character in this book Imara who is Jo & David's daughter. She is only 1 day old at the start of the book but as she is half-human/half-djinn she is already fully grown. I found the interaction between Jo and Imara really interesting - it must be quite confusing to be pregnant one day and have an adult daughter the next!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story develops over the next 4 books and I still intend on buying the series as I know I'll be happy to re-read the books again in the future
As it was almost a year ago when I read the first 4 books I really wish I'd started the series again from the beginning as it was hard to remember everything that has already happened but that didn't take away the enjoyment I got from reading Firestorm.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story develops over the next 4 books and I know I'll be happy to re-read the books again in the future.
on 11 August 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you haven't read any of Rachel Caine's work before then you should start with "Ill Wind"(don't be put off by her corny covers, these are great books) If you haven't already read "Windfall (Weather Warden)" then you should stop reading this review now.
"Firestorm" picks up pretty much where "Wind Fall" left off and I was surprised to find how much I liked Imara. To say that I had reservations about a fully adult 'child' popping out of nowhere is an understatement. It was a little too reminiscent of Renessmée Carly Cullen (reference to "Breaking Dawn"-the Twilight abomination), I thought initially. But I warmed up to the idea.(perhaps thanks to the, lets face it, slightly made-uppish but all things considered believable and appropriate name, Imara.)
I was totally loving the David's not dying anymore scenario. I am still a little apprehensive about the Joanne-Lewis relationship and not for the first time. I think you'll see what I mean.
Joanne who is, by the way, a killer feminist heroine, annoyed me somewhat with her 'I must save the world and do the right thing' complex. Wasn't it just infuriating to watch her risk David's djinnhood to save some random warden in "WindFall"? There's more of that, though not that exactly that, to come in "Firestorm". She is however a very well developed character and I suppose the altruism is an integral part of who she is.
I'd like to see her indulge more in the your djinnlover/children first and the rest of the world second mentality. David ripped the fabric of the universe apart for her, it's time she did something similar. At the very least she should push Lewis off a cliff, especially after his betrayal in "Chill Factor". Whatever he feels or does not feel, he will always put the fate of the world before her. Just like when he 'couldn't' help Jo save her sister.
"Firestorm" places Jo in more impossible situations, forces her to make some very difficult decisions and puts her and her family in very real danger. I should warn you that she may not come out of this one unscathed. It is brilliant, though you maybe a little perturbed by the appearance of an oracle or two, a bit too matrix for my liking. Just think of them as entities, watchers or something a little less daft than oracles.
And if I may say so, What an ending! I am quite literally dying for "Thin Air" to arrive in the post. It's taking an unreasonable amount of time to get to me. Those of you who are also living vicariously through Joanne Baldwin will know what I mean.
Happy reading!
on 11 August 2008
Now I don't know about you, but usually in a series there is a 'bum' book, one that doesn't live up to the standards of the previous, or even is a repeat of a book already in the series - it must be tempting for authors to go back to old plots and styles that have already been popular, rather than risk heading in a new direction and losing fans.

Needless to say, 'Firestorm' is NOT one of these books! Rachel Caine really does have a winning series on her hand, and every book has new characters, new badies, new ways of testing Jo and pretty much putting her through hell...there is just enough of the familiar so that you feel you're returning to an old friend, and yet so, so many new things and ideas that your not quite sure how Caine produces them all!

'Firestorm' starts almost exactly where 'Windfall' left off. Jo is on the road (again) in a sexy car, on the run from the Djinn - including her lover David. Mother Earth has woken up, and sure as hell ain't pleased with the mess that humans have made of the earth. Unfortunately, because the Djinn are part of the Earth, she can control them...and this means that the 'good' Djinn as well as the 'bad' aren't often in control of themselves. So whenever Jo sees David, shes doesn't know if he's going to try and kil her or not...

Imara has been born in this book and is a fully grown Djinn/Human. I was worried that she would be annoying as a character (not being a great fan of children), or that she would detract from the passionate Jo/David relationship. Fortunately this is not the case; Caines skill for writing makes Imara a very believable character, who you can't but fall in love with. I was also worried that Jo and David would spend the whole time running/chasing each other, but this isn't the case either - there is one scene where David pops up in Jo's car, and is influenced by Mother Earth ie a bit wild and passionate. Its makes for a VERY sexually heated moment...one of my favourites in the whole series :)

Not only has Jo got to try and calm the Earth down and try to stop all the Wardens form being killed, there's also her slightly crazy sister Sarah (who I, for one, wouldn't mind if she got killed...so, SO annoying!) and her dangerous and evil lover Eamon to deal with. It's a pretty packed book with lots going on, and if you enjoyed the rest in the series then you'll love this. Caine always manages to put me through so many emotions when I read her books, that I feel quite worn out when I'm done! It's worth it though, and after the exciting glimpse of her next offering of the series, 'Thin Air', as an extract in the back of 'Firestorm', I have already ordered it off Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive in the post...
Enjoy!
on 5 January 2010
My other half bought me the book as a gift. It was so good I knew I had to buy the rest to read the series from the beginning. As a stand alone book it was solid and I enjoyed it. Great action scenes (and curiosity) kept me turning page after page and the characters drew me right in so I wanted to know more about them. However, there were some things referenced to that I would have understood better had I read from the start. But it will be a delight to read it again in the right order.
on 22 June 2009
This is a good story but please do not buy this expecting it to have any great truths or revelations about the human condition. I would say this series was `fantasy lite' it has no depth but is enjoyable nonetheless.
on 13 September 2011
Great book in the weather warden series (no 5) by Rachel Caine. I would recommend reading it, if you enjoyed the earlier books. They are action packed and a good read.