on 10 July 2012
I was drawn to this book firstly because I had never read anything by Mary Nichols and had heard a lot about her, and secondly by the beautiful cover which told me this would be my kind of story. And it was... once I'd got into it.
I was initially disappointed by the 'straightforward' style of writing and lack of imagination in the choice of words which seemed a bit lazy to me. Then there was the 'head-hopping', purported to be among writing's cardinal sins, and at first I had to back-track several times in order to catch up with who was 'speaking', as the voices changed so very often, even within paragraphs! But once I'd got my eye in, so to speak, the story carried me on and kept me reading.
The characters, although lacking a little in depth (but there are an awful lot of them) did resonate and I soon found myself caring about them. The background detail is just right, not overdone, and I learned so much of interest from it. The plot-line itself is faultless and draws the story to a satisfying conclusion.
If you want an undemanding, enjoyable read then this book fulfils that in spades.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 October 2012
This is a cosy read telling the story of three women whose lives are connected despite coming from different backgrounds. Helen is married to an officer Richard but fears she has made a mistake meanwhile Anne is pregnant with her husband away fighting in the First World War, this is the start of the story but the main part of the book is set during the Blitz with Laura nursing soldiers with burn injuries.

The historical details were vividly written giving the reader a picture of what life was like during wartime Britain. Be warned there are more than a few tear-jerking moments as the women have to come to terms with the decisions they made. This is a family saga with the 'surprises' easy to spot but the story carries itself well and I found it an enjoyable read.
on 20 October 2012
As far as the book itself was concerned it was a decent read, the book itself was well written and in itself was a decent read and I enjoyed it. The only complaint I had about the book was that the timelines skip too quickly and its hard to follow what year you are in exactly and how much time has been glossed over.

The biggest issue for me was that I was sold alongside Kate Morton's books, Kate Morton being one of my favourite authors, so was throughly disappointed about the lack of mystery to solve. It was a fairly predictable book with no real twists which is fine as long as you''re expecting them.

So conclusion an ok read if you don't like mystery stories.
on 10 March 2013
I picked this book up a few years ago in my local library as was in a hurry and just wanted to take something on holiday and it cought my eye as i have a summer house and my maiden name is Nichols as is the authors surname. I normaly read crime so this was totaly different from what i would normaly read. To cut a long story short it was fantastic, i could not put it down and i caught crying with it a few times on my sun bed!!! A++++++++++ they should make this into a movie or the BBC or ITV should televise it. Just read it and see for your self, a truely great page turner!
on 15 September 2012
I read the Summerhouse on a cold and wet day, while on holiday in Cornwall and to be honest, I finished the whole book within a day, as I didn't want to put it down.

I liked individual stories of the three main charactors being Helen, Laura and Anne and wanted to see what happened to them in the end. But despite enjoying this book, I have only given it a 4 Star rating, as for me the story doesn't quite have everything, I would expect to be able to give it a five star.
on 20 February 2011
This book had me spell bound. I love the move from history to real time.
The coverage of the 2 world wars and its effect on the families left behind makes for moving reading.
The writer has captured the struggle between classes, relationships and war in a moving story that encompasses several decades.
I enjoyed the book tremendously.
on 19 October 2013
I had not read anything by this author previously but I will certainly read more of her books. To me it had an old fashioned quality to it but having said that it was just right for this book.I really enjoyed it.
on 4 February 2013
Having read other reviews before reading this book I came to it with an open mind. Although other books from a similar genre have been better written it was still an enjoyable read. Yes the plot was a bit transparent and predictable but it was an entertaining way to spend a cold winter Sunday.
on 26 April 2011
I really enjoyed this story, it was so lovely to just have a book that I could enjoy and not have to puzzle over, concentrate a lot, or struggle with.
The character's came alive and the story line weaving through the families, brilliant.
my 88year old friend has just finished it, she cant stop talking about it . !!
on 26 September 2012
I was unsure what to expect as I had never read anything by Mary Nichols before but I am very glad I decided to download it as it is a great read. I felt that I really connected with the characters and it was a real mix of emotions. Beautifully written, it is a book I would highly recommend.