Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2009
I have read all of Laurie King's books in the Russell/Holmes series and this is, I suppose, a natural progression of the storyline. Some things are good and some are not. It is good to have Russell and Holmes back on Sussex/London territory and it is good to see Mycroft taking part in the story. The leap of a past relationship and offspring is a bit of a stretch. Sadly, though this story is about relationships, to me there was little between Holmes and Russell. For the most part they worked separately. I also missed Mrs. Hudson and Dr. Watson and Russell's own profession as an academic has disappeared. Good, but not the best.
on 21 February 2016
I liked the introduction of the Adler thread and thought the central mystery was really good. It has a great quest journey/race against time and I am glad I came to late to these novels so I had The God of the Hive waiting for me.
on 4 May 2011
Laurie R. King's books are a continuing delight. The original Holmes stories, although interesting were distinctly masculine in tone and I suspect I read them as a teenager mainly because my brothers did. The continuation of the Holmes saga with Mary Russell as his wife and partner in crime seems to lift the whole project to a new and more interesting level. It is perhaps presumptious of me to speak on his behalf but I'm sure that Conan Doyle would have approved, and if he didn't then Mrs. Hudson certainly would have. The 1920's atmosphere of this one makes a perfect background and feels completely authentic.

I would normally only want to review a book that I wished to award five stars to, but have made an exception here because this is the first of this series I have bought on Amazon and I wanted to say something about them. The reason I downgraded this particular book to four stars was the fact that it turns out to be simply part 1 of 2. That wouldn't have bothered me so much if it had been made clear in the advance publicity (Yes I know I should have read the Amazon reviews - hey ho)

If anyone is interested I have put in a product link at the bottom to a 5 star review I have just given to another good read.

Rude Awakening
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2012
Holmes and Russell return home to Sussex to discover that Laurie King has made a major addition to general Holmes canon - a son. Some might be put off by this, but that element works well. Holmes has always been a mysterious character in his personal life, concealing what emotion he feels, even in the original Conan Doyle stories.

From here the hunt for a daughter-in-law and potential grandchild lead them into the path of mysterious cult. Bodies turn up at prehistoric sites and the sacrifices that the cult alludes to might be more than merely spiritual. The Aleister Crowley style shenanigans fit well with both the Holmes stories more gothic elements and with the spirit of the mid-1920s when odd religious movements flourished (much like current 'new age' beliefs). But the book is actually somewhat lacking in atmosphere. The religious movement never develops into the ominous force it might.

Instead, the threat is contained to just one individual within the cult. The motivation for what he does remains unclear. We are told that the thoughts behind the religious movement are muddled at times and that details are fudged in terms of a greater truth - but that appears to be a good excuse to allow King to do whatever she wishes. Quotes from the religious text at the start of each chapter add some flavour but never really give any sense of what the cults and its leader's aims are. An interest in Norse myth is bad, we are told by an expert, because that means 'Ragnarok, of course' - suggesting a desire to usher in the end of the world - but the Vikings were far from the only people to believe in a final apocalypse (Christianity has its own fine and scary vision of the end of the world); why should anyone leap to that assumption? The Norse elements do not appear otherwise to be significant. It feels just a little half baked.

The problems are broader: Holmes spends much of the book out of the way investigating other aspects of the case. But Holmes is always the star turn in any book he appears in and Russell's investigation meanders somewhat. When he does appear he is often reduced to either smoking his pipe but achieving little or, alternatively, acting as something of a deus ex machina, wrapping up elements just a little too easily.

There is a lengthy sub-plot at the beginning of the book about a mysteriously failed bee-hive. One might hope that the solution of this would have some bearing on the main mystery but by the end of the book it appeared not have done. Perhaps this will be remedied in the next part, 'The God of the Hive'.

The book is entirely readable - and I will certainly go on to the next part - but it fails to completely satisfy. King's books in general do not seem to have the feeling of being a well crafted machine that some mystery stories do - a style that the original Holmes stories helped to create. That is a shame, particularly here where the story seemed to promise a lot and never totally delivered.
on 31 July 2011
Ever since I read A Monstrous Regiment of Women, I've wondered about a throwaway line - (paraphrasing) when Holmes and Russell are discussing helping a young man with a drug problem, and she cuttingly asks him, Wouldn't he want someone to help him, if he were Holmes' son? And that this is cruel, because Holmes did have a son, and someone did try.

I thought at first I had missed something from canon, that this line was included so casually and never brought up again. At last, in "The Language of Bees" we get an answer - and how!

The mystery in this book is personal for Holmes in a way that we haven't seen before, and it offers new scope for the characters. I quite like the portrayal of Mary as "my father's wife". Another thing I enjoyed was the description of the Orkney Islands, and the stone circles there - I thought it all very beautiful, and now want a visit. Of course, I hope to have an easier trip there than Mary...

Mycroft features increasingly prominently in this book, setting up the plot of God of the Hive.

I liked Mary's detective skills in this book - she seems to be acting, rather than reacting, and is in position to view the whole affair more rationally than Holmes, which is a good contrast to Locked Rooms.

A must-read for any fan of the series, and I could even tentatively recommend it for new readers of the series, being set back in England, on "home soil" after some novels of travel, and others referring back to earlier characters. However, this book is very much the first part of a two-part story - I recommend that the reader has the next book, God of the Hive, close to hand and ready to go when they finish this novel!
on 28 June 2013
Can you be addicted to a series? This is the first half of a two book story. Only managed 5 mins before I bought The God of the Hive to find out what happened next!
on 13 November 2015
Laurie R King's Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes mysteries are amazing (and addictive) - once you start to read you are slowly drawn into the story and it is hard to put a book down. This one is particularly gripping and if you like an intelligent (and lively) story this is for you. I am now half-way through the second half of this mystery - The God of The Hive - and it gets more exciting (only tired eyes permit me to put these books down). I love a good read and can strongly recommend Laurie R King's books, they are wonderful. I have eight of Laurie's books and have read read five, I am at present part-way through number six and two more to go.
on 5 January 2015
Many of the stories written about Sherlock Holmes in recent years have been arguably better than the originals. Conan Doyle's great contribution was to invent the character. Perhaps the best series of such adventures has been the books featuring Mary Russell with Sherlock Holmes. Like the author, Laurie King, Mary Russell has done research in Old Testament (Jewish Scriptures), and the series is of added interest to anyone who has studied the Bible at university level. Admittedly, the transition of Holmes into an action hero is not entirely convincing, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the series. The best place to begin is not this particular story, but with the first book, The Bee-keeper's Apprentice, and then to reach this book in its turn in due course .
on 4 October 2009
I was looking forward to this book tremendously, but I really felt let down. It began well but it takes quite a leap of faith to suddenly be presented with a previously unknown son of Holmes.
It certainly gives the series a new direction. but I'm not sure that it is a believable one. The period background is as always impeccable, and the author gives us much insight to the trauma of those who tried to resume normal lives after the insanity and brutality of the 1st World War, her understanding and compassion shines through. I also felt it was more Mary's book than that of Holmes, not necessarily a bad thing. I also don't really care for "to be continued", as a carrot dangled in front of me. Of course I'm going to read the next book!!!

This was still an enjoyable book but it does not quite do it for me, however I live in hope that the next one will be back on track.
on 26 October 2012
I love these books with Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. Laurie R King sets the background with so much detail and all through the book is the rather strange relationship between the two main characters who despite their disparity in age shows that they have a bond which goes beyond the mere physical or cerebral and that they are truly compatible. As with her other novels King shows immensely detailed research into theology and the strange and bizarre cults that seem to get started by individuals who, being filled with their own cnceit, aim to exploit and manipulate vulnerable people for their own sake. It is wonderful how many little details strike one, eg in the fact that it took six days to travel from Shanghai and the various means of transport used to attain this. I love a book which gives lots of historical information as well as a measure of romance, this was a great read and I can't wait to read some of the others.