on 16 December 2001
I don't know what I expected when I opened the covers of this book, but what I discovered was an incredible work profiling female serial killers though the ages.
There are thirteen serial killers profiled starting with Anna Marie Zwanziger born in Nuremberg in 1760 and ending with Karla Homolka born 1970. In between we have Jeanne Weber, who killed her own children and it seems as many of her friends children as she could get her hands on, Genene Jones who qualified with basic nursing skills, gained employment in a hospital and attempted the murder of several children in her care, not thankfully killing all of them. Martha Ann Johnson, who also killed her own children, Charlene Gallego, who was a shy quiet child with a talent for the violin, but who eventually lured teenage virgins to their death. Judith Neelley, who committed armed robbery at age 16, Catherine Birnie, who had seven children, and yet assisted her husband in his quest for young sex slaves, Gwen Graham & Catherine Wood, Carol Bundy, Aileen Wuornos and the more familiar names of Myra Hindley and Rose West.
Before reading this book, I though that Myra Hindley was possibly the most evil woman that I had come across, but not so by a long way. This work was an eye opener.
Not only does the author present the reader with these profiles, but the book goes further, classifying female serial killers and then presenting theories about why women kill.
This is an awesome work that delves into the darkest recesses of the abused female, as it appears most of these women were, and provides a macabre account of their journey's through life.
-----
Lizzie Hayes.
22 people found this helpful
on 22 August 2013
This book was an easy read and delivers on grizzly details of the crimes. It doesn't however delve into the psychology of these women or really ask why they committed these crimes, what drove them to it or go into the bigger picture of women vs men in any great detail. I found this book frustrating for those reasons but also because there are a myriad of proof-reading errors that kept pulling me out of the book and it eventually made me question the author's credibility.

On this latter point, the main reason I rated this book 3/5 is because I feel this writer is in no way an authority on this matter. She has an M.A (from what university it doesn't say, which also isn't promising) that "included criminology", and then went on to do a diploma in education. Criminology is the study of crime, not the study of criminals themselves (which is forensic psychology), so what makes her informed enough to publish a book about these criminals I don't know, and her education as a whole seems questionable in the context of this subject. She also refers many times to other authors and praises them for their work which almost seemed over the top at times.

In short, it was an entertaining read (I'm sure the novels she's written are very good), but as a book based on fact and informed opinion it falls short of the mark for me.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2018
I'm really into crime so this was awesome for me.
Carol Anne Davis writes beautifully...easy to follow and gripping
on 3 May 2017
This is a well-written and riveting read. Carol Anne Davis presents well-researched accounts of more than a dozen female killers, some notorious like Britain's Rose West, others not so well known, particularly on this side of the Atlantic. It is not fiction, and not only a riveting piece of work, but a shocking one, with stories of the greatest evil and cruelty that one could imagine.
on 30 January 2017
Oh dear. Another reviewer likened this to a student essay. It isn't that good. Sloppy and inaccurate, with little reference to evidence. Even the bibliography is error-prone with an early book on the Moors Murders apparently being published years before the events began. Probably the worst book I have ever purchased: I shall take more care to read reviews in future.
on 4 May 2018
Good written book, Like the an author a lot, but the story is chilling not for bed.
on 14 October 2016
Great buy happy with this purchase
on 17 September 2017
Enjoyed this book gives you insight into women's mind, some of them must of been born with pure evilness in them.
on 19 November 2016
Thankyou
on 19 June 2001
I've read books about The Yorkshire Ripper and The Hillside Stranglers and thought that only men were unrelentingly vicious - but the things some of these female serial killers did were comparable or worse. Most of them abducted girls for sexual enjoyment. Some of the victims were teenagers and others were still kids.
Each chapter starts with the killer as a child so you get to know all about her early experiences - and they aren't good ones. By the time she starts to kill you've been drawn in to her disintegrating world.
But these female serial killers treat their victims even more badly than they themselves were treated and after the deaths they sometimes mutilated the corpses. Some of the women slept and ate having put bodies in the basement or under the floor. Occasionally acquaintances of the killers suspected them but just couldn't believe women kill strangers.
I couldn't put this book down for the first few chapters because while gruesome, it's also incredibly gripping. But then I just had to stop reading for a few days because it made me see the world as such a pitiless place. The life stories of these killers and their crimes continue to haunt me. So it's not for those of a weak disposition.
9 people found this helpful