Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2001
Little Green Men is all about the clandestine organisation that is responsible for the hoaxing of all UFO events, from sitings, through abductions, to "probing" and "harvesting".
When a memebr of the organisation does not get the move he desires, he decides to take matters into his own hands and orders the "abduction" of one of Washington's top media personalities. This sets off a chain of events that are amusing to the last.
The book opens up the worlds of UFO's, Washington Society and Political Arenas to inspection and ridicule. The characters are not stereotypical, and have a real depth delivered by Buckley's careful portrayal of the human psyche. It is easy to step into any of the shoes of the main players and feel for them.
All in all a very good read that will have you tittering away to yourself. As the cover suggests, it is for believers and non-believers alike and despite the comical thread is thought provoking. A strong recommendation from me!!
on 16 July 2007
I got just over two thirds of the way through and decided I really wasn't interested in what happened and quite simply couldn't finish it. I think this book really has to be your cup of tea. I didn't laugh, I didn't find it funny.

When Nathan Stubbs doesn't get promoted he decides to take actions into his own hands and orders an alien abduction (well two actually) on the Washington talk-show host John Banion. John then decides to set the world to rights and I can't tell you if he did or not as I only got as far as his march/rally.

At one point I was convinced my copy was a proof as there were a lot of typos in there but it wasn't. I therefore wonder if it is the American style. If you believe Little Green Men are your thing or not you have to like the writing style of this book. The plot itself is an excellent concept which is what I was hoping was going to keep me going. However, it's a good cure for insomnia.
on 30 April 1999
"Smoking" was, without a doubt, a much funnier book than "Little Green Men." But with so much garbage passed off as literature these days (witness Oprah's recommendations), it should be an occasion for parades when books such as "Little Green Men" appear. Our culture takes itself far too seriously these days. Practically gone is the laugh-for-the-laugh's-sake type writing. Buckley, T.C. Boyle (my choice for vital literature), Martin Amis, sometimes Chabon try to keep the comic heart beating, but it is faint.
On a sidenote: Did anyone happen to count the typos in "Little Green Men?" There must have been dozens, in many cases whole words left out. I edit for a living. I learned long ago that spellcheck is no substitute for eyeballs. No fault of Buckley's, obviously, but he might check into what happened.
on 11 May 1999
Overall, this is a good book, but it loses its steam half-way through the story. Up until he loses his TV show, Banion is a great character - intelligent, powerful, witty, and hilariously snobbish. His reaming of the President over his NASA policy early in the book is a classic. Afterwards, however, he becomes disappointingly bland. People's feelings start to matter to him and he loosens up considerably, making him a better person but a far less enjoyable character. I was a bit disappointed with the ending because it was too pat. Hopefully, this won't give away too much, but everything's explained away and none of the main characters end up the worse for wear, which is ridiculous considering the enormity of the conspiracy Buckley creates. Even with all that, however, it's a good read.
on 26 March 1999
Mr. Buckley delivers a clever story, but fails to fully develop potentially entertaining secondary characters the way Carl Hiaasen does. Additionally, Mr. Buckley's use of "SAT" words does not add to the plot, rather, it is distracting in the way an over-eager student in class might be. One can't help but think that Mr. Buckley is trying to live up to his father's famous vocabulary. However, his transparent inclusion of famous Washington icons adds a tantalizing bit of masked non-fiction to this political comedy (is Strom Thurmond really a perv?), and the protagonist of this tale, John Banion, is an interesting if not sympathetic composite of our favorite Sunday talk show hosts. Overall, Mr. Buckley deserves an "E" for effort.
on 6 August 1999
First time Buckley reader who read the first 260 pages in two nights. To bad it took the next two nights to finish the final 40 pages. However, I will happily pass the book on to a friend as well as buy some of his other books.
on 10 May 1999
As someone with a very short attention span and a plethora of unfinished novels on my bedside table it says quite a lot for Mr. Buckley that I could not put this book down! It was great! I noticed that none of the other reviewers so far have been from Washington D.C. so I just wanted to tell you all how vivid his descriptions of the city are! I could picture everything happening as I was reading it! Especially the part on Roosevelt Island... I went to day camp there when I was 10! Excellent book and I look forward to reading others by Christopher Buckley.
on 12 April 1999
I suspect Buckley borrowed more from McLaughlin than anyone else. "McLaughlin Group" is produced by "Oliver Productions."
I thought the ego of Banion should have been explored more -- if he was as powerful as he thought, of course "aliens" would select him as their messenger.
The ending fell a little flat for me -- the trial seemed a tacked-on artifice. Still, an enjoyable read -- and it would make a very funny movie (if put in the right hands.)
on 18 April 1999
Buckley continues to deliver in his lastest work of fiction, lampooning Washington D.C, tabloids and the X file craze. In "Little Green Men, Buckely builds on his momentum from "Smoking" With tight prose, and a barbed wit that spares no government office or special interest group. Often called a modern-day Buchwald, Christopher Buckley continues to redifine political satire, and more importantly, forces us (if your willing) to laugh at ourselves. A GREAT READ!!!
on 10 April 2009
Quite an amusing premise where alien abductees turn out to be victims of an elaborate government hoax. When they abduct a famous political journalist, they get more than they expected.

An funny book with all the classical Buckley-type characters. Banion is your typical spin doctor, like the ones we know from "Thank you for smoking" or "Boomsday". All in all great fun, but if you ask me not as good as the aforementioned.