on 23 October 2017
I was advised to buy this book to use alongside my body massage course. Its very good. I paid around £25 for it and then a day later it dropped to a couple of quid, so keep it in your basket to see if the price changes. I did the Swedish Fully Body Massage course.
on 21 April 2017
really easy to understand
on 27 October 2017
Does what it says
on 2 March 2017
Easy read and good for beginners.
on 5 October 2017
on 25 November 2005
As the title says 'Body Massage for Holistic Therapists'. I bought the book as I wanted something a little more indepth than the average Massage with oils book. I have a few basic books and wanted a challenge.
Unfortunately this book was too advanced for me! Think I was just being a little over enthusiastic!
Great if you are a therapist.
on 8 November 2008
Francesca Gould writes in her own very informative style. As with many other books written by her; such as her book: Aromatherapy for Holistic Therapists; this book is again written with great expertise and sound knowledge of the subject area she is writing about. As with all her books they provide the foundation for the subject and are useful for tutors to plan lessons and also for students taking courses of beauty therapy and holistic therapies. First class instruction!
on 14 January 2011
I bought 'Body Massage for Holistic Therapists' among other books for a Swedish massage course I was doing. I had a look through several on the shelf & this one seemed to me to have the best layout & looked both interesting & engaging. I discovered later that the college had a recommended text which wasn't this one, but after getting my tutor to look it over she agreed that it covered everything we were going to study but just displayed it in a slightly different format. In fact most people mentioned that it actually looked better than the recommended text. To accompany the course we were given plenty of handouts which I must admit I relied on more than the book. The book has the excellent advantage of doubling as a revision guide however, as each section has several activities to complete as well as the chapters which you would need to study beforehand.

Here is a list of the Contents:

Chapter 1: Introduction to Massage: History of massage, benefits of massage etc.
Chapter 2: Body Systems & the Effects of Massage: Cells, tissuses, skin, skeletal system, muscular system etc.
Chapter 3: Consultation & Planning of a Treatment: Preparation, consultation, contra-indications, referral letter...
Chapter 4: Massage Techniques & Preparing for Massage Treatment: Assessing posture, massage techniques etc.
Chapter 5: The Body Massage Routine: Full body massage, routine, aftercare advice etc.
Chapter 6: Considerations & Modifications to Massage Treatments: Specific conditions, other techniques...
Chapter 7: Legislation, Good Practice & Setting Up a Business: Heath & safety act & regulations...
Chapter 8: Examination Preparation: 40 multiple choice questions.

Each chapter ends in a 'self-test'.

It is tailored for students, but I usually have a read as a refresher or just generally out of interest. It is a fascinating subject, particularly the whole 'anatomy & physiology' theory side & the 'accupressure' & other advanced techniques studied as part of the course. All of the techniques are described in detail & accompanied by either a photo [black & white] or diagram. The book can look a little scary to begin with but as the course progresses & you link the theory from the textbook with the practical skills, the subject as a whole becomes much more enjoyable. I loved every second of it. Highly recommended!
on 27 March 2013
I'm actually doing a canine myotherapy diploma, but needed a book on human massage, so went searching and saw this one, with a fantastic review of it by Nancy, who did a brief description of what was in each chapter. Based on her review I decided to buy the book, which arrived this morning. It is every bit as good as her review states; a lot of information; the history of massage, a chapter on the various systems of the body, with good basic diagrams. The chapter on massage techniques was excellent, along with the one on massage routines. There is also a chapter on modifying massage treatment and other types of physical therapy.

Also very useful is the legislation chapter, for good practice and setting up a business, and then to top it all, as well as there being tests at the end of each chapter, there are 40 multiple choice questions at the end of the book to help in examination preparation. The answers aren't in the book, so you can't cheat, but you can get them online. Details on the back cover!

My thanks to reviewer Nancy for providing such a fantastic review that enabled me to make the right purchase.
on 31 October 2010
Fantastic!
Exactly as detailed in the product info.
Contained everything needed for my VTCT massage exams.
Easy to understand and navigate.
Highly recommend for students.