Customer reviews

Introducing Sociolinguistics
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2012
This was on my collage syllabus so you would think it would be one of those old, boring, what-the-H-are-you-talking-about kind of books, right?

Wrong. It's actually one of my favorite books now, I love reading parts of it here and there when I have some spare time because it really is interesting and the way it's written makes you actually want to know more and learn. It even uses Snape as an example!

Even if you don't need it for class but you're interested in linguistics, I would say go for it.
on 19 November 2013
This was a set text for a course, and it is a very sound introduction to sociolinguistics, with good explanations and lots of references for further reading.
on 11 February 2016
This is a brand new book at a bargain price As a student all the pennies count and I've made a good saving on this book
on 25 November 2012
My copy smells like couscous, which I find is a rare feature of a book; nevertheless one that I thoroughly endorse.
on 21 October 2010
For my second year of university I am required to study this topic. With previous knowledge of both sociology and linguistics I thought it would be interesting to combine the two.

Everyone in my class were asked to purchase this book as the core text for the entire year; and while the book boasted to be simple and concise introduction about the subject of sociolinguistics I found it to be oversimplified in places that needed more detail, and the complete opposite in places where only a simple explanation was required. To add to that the information was not easily accessible and seemed to jump back and forth between topics, which is not something I would normally expect from a book that claims to be for people for with no prior knowledge of the subject.

After an hour of reading through one of the chapters in great detail, I searched the same topic and within five minutes of reading on Wikipedia found myself with a better understanding of the key terms and ideas that were scattered about the book.
on 16 February 2015
This is what i really need!
on 4 February 2015
good
on 7 January 2011
As what is described in the website, the book is in good condition and worth buying. I am satisfied with it.