Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 November 2016
This is a fantastic guide to flavour. Features sections with different flavours and what accompanies them. Its really interesting as a read and my only complaint would be it could be bigger!
on 17 May 2017
Very cool
on 2 May 2017
Any aspiring cook needs this book!
on 6 March 2015
Very good value book which gives great ideas for mixing flavours.
on 8 January 2016
Amazing
on 10 March 2016
This is a unique book
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 June 2011
I bought this the other day as I realised, like the author states in her intro, that I am too attached to recipe books. I was hoping that this would inspire me to try new combinations and start a bit more experimentation. And it has. However, before buying its really important to know what this book is and more importantly what it is not.

What this book is not
- a book with detailed recipes (it doesn't really have any recipes at all)
- a book with illustrations of food (there are no illustrations at all of food)
- a traditional cookery book (no measurements, no oven settings, no real cookery guide)

What this book is
- a jumping off point where you identify flavours with a brief guide to examples
- a well written explanation of how flavour combinations work
- a way for budding chefs to try new flavours with confidence

Not all the combinations are to my liking. And you won't be using this as a cooking bible. However, its very readable and as a resource for a budding chef it really takes some beating. It allows you to be creative rather than follow a recipe to the letter. Which is exactly what I wanted from this book. If, however, you are expecting recipes then avoid.
0Comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2010
A useful reference work to dip into when planning a new recipe or inventing something new to produce in your kitchen.
on 21 November 2016
After wanting this book for a while I decided to buy it at last. I was slightly disappointed, possibly because my expectations were so high. I expected the book to be more visual and more informative, but instead the book is more about the author's personal experiences with food. It doesn't explain pairings in the way I thought it would, and doesn't include as many flavours or foods as I expected.
on 24 January 2017
Love this!!! Use it a lot and bought many as gifts, as it's so insightful and fun read!