Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 May 2017
Not a book for everyday cooking, but very inspiring. The only down is you need a lot of special ingredients and special equipment to cook the recipes at home.
on 29 November 2015
Bought this for my partner who was lucky enough to be treated to a meal at the Fat Duck - can we buy liquid nitrogen on Amazon??
on 18 April 2016
Fantastic gift at a great price. Recipient delighted!
on 12 February 2014
Well written book by a chef... I am a chef and I find it an amazing insight into he's tons food and I've learnt a lot.. Maybe not so useful for the home cook but a must for any food enthusiast.
on 11 May 2017
great book, excellent seller
on 24 November 2009
I bought this book for two reasons:

(a) I ate at the Fat Duck recently and I really wanted to learn a bit more about Heston Blumentahal's methods and madness.
(b) I'm a fan of Dave McKean.

It's a great book one of my favourites, most of the recipes you'd need a team of scientists to complete but that's not the point really. You come away with a better understanding of food, appreciate what's going on in your own humble kitchen and how amazing your sense of taste is. Plus it reads and looks like a graphic novel in some parts with Heston as the superhero.
on 21 January 2010
A really interesting book. May be not possible to use all the recipes but a wonderful insight about the science of cooking. Such a lovely read and very cleverly done. I will cherish this book and remember my Christmas present to myself for many years to come.
on 4 February 2010
I agree completely with all the rave reviews. While I may never cook any of these recipes completely I've learn't more about cooking from this book than from any of the dozens of other cookbooks I own.
on 20 December 2012
Even though I love cooking and cook almost every day, I was stunned that I couldn't make a single dish from the book without reserving at least 3 days for it. Finally, I have a very special book. With all the equipment and products in place, I will aim to cook just 1 dish from the book per year for the rest of my life. But, boy, how that day will be exceptional.
on 19 May 2011
This book is so big it is worth every penny just for the amount of pages you get.
The wife and I wen and visited this great restaurant and wanted the cookbook to go with our visit.
No matter how good of a cook you are, you are not going to cook the receipes in this book.

The first third of the book is all about Heston got to be where he is today, very interesting read.
The second third is the receipes from the restaurant, some old some new, but not all of them as this book was printed 2008 so maybe a new addition might get released. The more famous dishes ie "Sounds of the Sea" are in there and even you can't or won't cook them, it is great to see what he has to do to make these beautiful foods.
The final third is all about the science of how and why he does his cooking. Very interesting reading.

So in conclusion, don't think you can cook the lovely food from the Fat Duck at home with this book, unless you live with Heston and his team of 47 Chef's. But a great read and keep sake (especially for the pictures and artwork) for any visitor of the Restaurant or fan of the Shows.