on 11 January 2009
I got this book out of the school library as I had heard good things about the TV series. I thought it might be appallingly written in manner of other teenage books such as "The Princess Diaries" however, while it isn't Shakespeare, it is well crafted.

The book centres around teenagers living on the Upper East Side and despite what other reviews have said, I feel there is at least one redeeming quality in each of the characters. I think it proves that even girls who seem to have it all and be really catty at the same time, still have their likeable traits and problems.

I found myself completely addicted to this book and read it within three or four days. I also found myself unusually grabbing every opportunity to read, on the bus, eating breakfast and even while waiting for an order in the fish and chip shop.

I would say that it would probably be most enjoyed but girls aged 14- 17, even ones who are not usually prone to reading. Saying this, it would be a great book for any parent to get for their teenager to get them interested in reading.

The only downside to this book is that it's expensive at full price, particularly as it isn't long and definitely won't take you much time to read. My advice is to get it really cheap from an Amazon partner seller, borrow it from the library or source it from a charity shop.
on 2 April 2009
You can judge 'Gossip Girl' by its cover. It's the froth on your skinny latte.

A light read with dark issues that sadly, aren't explored, which is why this book lost a star. I think this shows how young adults (the target audience) are underestimated.

I understand why many novels for young adults are shorter and left with issues unexplored. But I wish writers/agents/publishers understood that this leaves readers feeling unsatisfied.

Yes, the plot moves quickly, but it can't hurt to explore issues in an occasional chapter.

Anyway, perhaps more exploring is done in the other novels, I'll have a look. It was good enough for me to check out another.

If you are looking for something with more depth, and aren't a fan of society type 'it' girls, then leave this book - you know you'll hate it :)
on 31 October 2005
I gave this book four stars because it related so much to me and had similarities with my life and I enjoyed the constant rumors and lies with a dash of secrets and love for flavoring. The way everything just seemed to go along together and I never expect whats going to happen next everyone in the story seems so calm and sweet untill you hear their inner most secrets revealed or when you hear what your boyfriend did with your ex-best friend OH the lies just never end your captured in the first line but if you think gossip is wrong and cheaters never prosper or that two wrongs dont make a right than you better not look twice at this book because in this story its more like the more you talk about others problems the better you look its not considered gossip and its more of a keeping your options and not geting caught not cheating and its like an eye for an eye not to wrongs dont make a right. I loved this book and if you have any sense at all you'll read it to if it tikles your fancy.
on 1 February 2011
Although of course the book is not an action packed or adventorous in anyway, you do feel like you've fallen in to the world of the Upper East Sider.
After watching all the Gossip Girl TV shows (So far..) during the break of season 4, i brought the first book, in hope it would fill a void. I couldn't be any happier with the book, if you love Gossip Girl TV show, then you'll fall in love with the book. I was even more pleased when i saw that Blair was actually the main character as she's my favourite character.
I'd advise anyone to buy this, it's amazing :)
on 30 March 2008
I received the book as a present for my birthday, and originally didn't really think I'd enjoy it as it's not my sort of book genre. But as soon as I started reading the first chapter I've been hooked on the series ever since, and have read each book in the series in turn, and also now the prequel. A fantastic read if you just want something that you can just purely enjoy, without it being hard going.
on 19 April 2009
I strongly suggest others don't fall into my steps; buying this book just because it has loads of fans. It's not that this book is perticulary bad, but rubbish compared to other books in this catergory. For example, the 'private' series by Kate Brian are about 10 times better then this book, but follow the same ideas.
Seriously, this book is a waste of your time.
on 30 December 2007
This book is nothing but a mess. I was sitting at the fire reading, at page 20 i had had enough, was bored out of my brain listening to some girl rave on about what clearly was herself, and threw the damn thing on the fire.

I only bought this because it was on a sale on amazon for £1
on 22 December 2004
this book is good for every teenage girl looking for a exciting book to read. this book shows what it's like to be high and mighty as well as rich popular and goodlooking.
enter the lives of serena blair and nate.
and se what it's like to live on the wild side of gossip.
on 3 September 2003
This is my favourite book of all time! It has everything from fashion, bitching girls, romance, and top floor penthouses in New York. Once you pick this book up I guarentee you will not be able to put it down!
on 14 January 2005
I've read all six of the gossip girl books and cant wait for the 7th one to come out. They are so addicting to read. The characters in it seem so real and are awesome.