Customer reviews

The Seamstress
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 November 2010
Judging by the other reviews, I guess this must be a book you either love or hate. Unfortunately I belong to the last category, finding it clumsy and contrived and artificial.

This is a story of two sisters who are separated by their different fates after their grandmothers death. One followes her dream to live in the city as a fine lady, the other joins a band of outlaws. The narration switches between the two girls as their lives take very different paths.

My first struggle was that I did not warm to either of the main characters. The narration is quite distant, giving the impression that you are observing from afar. Their thoughts and feelings are described in detail, but de Pontes Peebles fails to create a feeling of intimacy or closeness. It was too factual, too stiff and formal. It did not help that I found the younger sister unlikeable - Boring and shallow and irritating, a bit helpless and silly.

I found the chapters narrated by the outlaw sister Luzia, much more interesting than the ones narrated by Emilia. Even though I still struggled with the clumsy and remote narration, it was her story that kept me from closing the book before I had finished. By contrast, Emilia's chapters detailing her struggle to fit in with the High Society of the city were even more dull and irritating, like an interruption in the real story. I think I can see what the author has tried to achieve, but for me, this book was a real struggle to finish.
on 26 April 2010
Beautifully written book. I kept going back to passages and rereading them. Truely evocative writing.I felt at times as if I was there. Interesting and really well drawn characters. I loved this book and found myself immediately immersed in the lives and worlds of the sisters.
on 15 December 2014