on 4 September 2013
Delightful and delicious read. A journey through British culinary achievements and weird recipes (flamingos?!). Pots and pans and their development through the centuries. The food of the poor and the lavish and over decorated courses of the rich. Our attitude towards basic nourishment and overindulgence. A feast for the senses as rich and pungent smells pervade each page alongside historical events. Makes you want to track down ancient and old time recipes and give them a go in the kitchen! An excellent and inspiring book, I highly recommend it.
on 29 May 2010
I consider this a super buy - full of well-researched info on food fads through the centuries. As a teacher of History I've used the book as a resource to enhance studies of the medieval period. Apart from that I've enjoyed casually dipping in and out of the book when in need of a light but informed read.Have purchased copies as gifts for like-minded friends.
on 30 January 2012
I'm very pleased I bought this book. It is amazing to think where all our culinary inspirations originate from. I would have liked to see some actual recipes, but the historical detail is still interesting. It's a good to keep on the coffee table.
on 11 September 2015
Lots of detail about cooking and menus through the ages. A little dense in places, but interesting
on 17 October 2013
A jolly good read if youre interested in food cookery and the origins of recipes and how they have evoleved.
1616 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 January 2016
A must for anyone interested in the history of our nations food.
on 14 November 2013
This is a very interesting and informative read and it is highly recommended for anyone who has an interest in history and food.
on 22 January 2013
This is a lovely educational book,I would have enjoyed history much more if there had been more information about the way people lived which obviously includes what they ate and how it was cooked.I'm glad that ordinary people's diet is discusssed as well as the court's.
on 3 July 2012
Haven't finished the book yet, as it is the kind you can dip in and out of (which is perfect for my Kindle).
There have been some fascinating insights into how our food and cooking of it has evolved.
Certainly worth a read if you like food.
on 5 June 2013
I bought this book for my husband and he has loved it and recommended it to a friend.
A great history and factual information about British cuisine.