Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2013
Really cool and creatice including good ideas.I Would recommend this book to 9-12 year olds!! I really enjoyed this book.
on 30 September 2013
This is a nice story with good illustrations. I bought it to read to my 7 year old grandson but to be honest I think girls would like it better. I will let you know what he thinks but if You like reading children's books then this is a good one to add to your list.
on 27 January 2014
My 10 year old daughter is an avid reader and has been delighted with this book....so much so that she wants to dress-up as the character Madeleine for World Book Day in March!
on 13 December 2013
What a brilliant book! It has beautiful language, quirky characters, and a super story. I bought this for my 7 year old's birthday and she's not read it yet, but I'm sure she'll absolutely love it. It's somewhat like a version of Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Events series, but for younger readers - there's a scheming villain, a clever child and a fun adventure, all set in atmospheric Paris.

I can't wait to read the next two books now. My only criticism is that it was a short book, but that's from my perspective as an adult reading a book aimed at children.
Although marketed primarily at girls, I thought this was a robust enough adventure to appeal to boys too, and having tested it out on my six year old son, who loved it, I would have to say that it would work equally well as a boy or girl's book, despite the girly packaging. Madame Pamplemousse is the owner of a magical and mysterious delicatessen in the back streets of Paris. She uses the most extravagant and extraordinary ingredients to make wonderful foods that can literally change your life, all with the help of her one eyed cat, Camembert.

Monsieur Lard, owner of a feted but disgusting Parisian restaurant, comes across some of Madame's amazing pate, that is so divine it brings the greatest restaurant critic in Paris to his restaurant. He is determined to wrestle the recipe from Madame Pamplemousse, and will stop at nothing to achieve it, even enlisting his unwilling and put upon niece Madeleine to act as his spy.

This is a wonderful story full of unexpected humour, dark twists and turns and a real sense of playfulness. My children all loved it, and we are about to embark on our second volume of Madame Pamplemousse's adventures.
on 12 February 2011
As a childrens Librarian in a surrey school I was asked to read this book as part of a few selected for a book award, its fantastic, lots of our children went on to read it, hence my purchase of the next in series, don't be put off by the boring cover its a marvelous story for girls and boys alike. I couldn't put it down and I'm over 40!!
on 2 January 2014
Great discovery. A perfect read for 6/7 year olds with lovely b&w drawings. We all loved the characters and especially their names. The plot was interesting such as the various improbable edibles. Rich in description and inventive. Highly recommend as passage from picture books for younger children to proper books. Ordering next one soon.
on 3 February 2012
Hooray for the wonderful Madame Pamplemousse or should I say Rupert Kingfisher. We bought the first book in this series for our 6 year old daughter and she was hooked. It took her two evenings to read (she is an advanced reader for her age so don't let this put you off) and she was desperate for the next book. She has now read all 3 books and was quite disappointed when I said there were no more....at the moment. We are now keeping our fingers crossed that Rupert writes more of these exciting books.
on 17 December 2010
I had been looking for some literature to inspire my 7 year old daughter after she had finished the entire box set of Roald Dahl. This book really hit the spot! Set in Paris, and featuring a young girl called Madeleine, this story is totally enchanting. The characters come alive off the page and it was easy to build up the suspense whilst I read this novel to her. She has gone on the read the sequel and we will be buying the third in the set for Christmas. I SO recommend this if you are looking for something with a bit of flavour!
This is very imaginative and original and made me (listening to it) want to hear more! This particular edition has a very attractive cover and it is an ideal gift for girls aged approximately 6-9 years although the age is not that important because it is a great story.