on 11 February 2013
This is a really good book, I would definitely recommend if you like reading about what happened in the war.
on 26 February 2015
An amazing man who went through hell but took it all in his stride. They don't make them like that any more.
on 11 December 2012
Great present for my dad he loves war story's and views and biographys so this was a perfect match for him
on 14 September 2009
I cannot recommend this book enough. It is a book about a wonderful man and I consider myself extremely fortunate to have met Harry Patch. I still find myself marvelling at the fact that I have spoken with a man who fought in the trenches during the Great War who not only survived horrors we cannot begin to imagine but lived on for over a centuryand live, witnessing man landing on the moon, the age of computers, heart transplants, modern air travel and numerous other inventions and developments, not all for the good. Yet, he seemed to take all these things in his stride. I don't think he appreciated just how amazing he was. He spoke wise words on the subject of war and the slaughter of young men and must have been deeply upset by the fact that the Great War has been followed by numerous conflicts and that the world has not been at peace since. It seems that wars are still being fought by lions led by donkeys and that we never learn. Bless you Harry Patch.
on 6 November 2014
Brilliant a great read Ive always lived in bath so the places Harry talks about are very familiar to me
on 12 February 2013
AN interesting read and insight into the whole life of a man of many achievements to whom we owe a lot
on 10 September 2014
Great book that is a very easy read very well written absorbing book definitely recommended
on 27 October 2014
this story is brilliant - bought as a present but has been listened to over and over again
on 27 August 2009
I was interested in hearing about WW1 from someone who had actually witnessed the event in person. Alas, and quite understandably, Mr Patch obviously found it too painful to recall events, some of which must have been horrific. The lack of his reporting of WW1 was disappointing and anyone wishing, like me, to glean further information about this war will also be disappointed. However, with that said, I did enjoy his recollections of a bygone age. My own parents weren't born until the 1920's so to have an insight into Victorian life was fantastic. He was obviously a very brave and courageous man and his passing will be mourned by many. This book is well worth a read, and indeed, should be read by all especially the younger generation.
on 21 February 2015
Such a well worth book to read makes you really think about war and the sad loss of lives