on 3 August 2007
Let's be fair to Jk she had more than her share of work cut out for her in this book:

1. Harry's to find all the Hocruxes and destroy them
2. Somehow beat THE most Dark wizard of all time without finishing school
3. JK has to answer the question whether Snape really is a an evil toad and why he did he have to go and murder old twinkle eyes AKA Dumbledore
4. She has to play 'happy couples' ( mostly RON/Hermione *retches*)
5. Write Malfoy's fate (and his mother's too)
6. Give us more background info on Dumbledore (is he a half-blood?)
7. Tell us exactly who is gonna die.
8. & in the midst of all that prepare Bill/Fleur's wedding. *PHEW*

Like most of the Harry Potter fans I was eagerly awaiting this book. One word. DISAPPOINTING. I know that Jk is not the best writer in the world but I feel she took too much on. Her desire to tie all the loose ends meant an inconsistency in style. I mean there was hardly any character development. Ron & Hermione are sucking each others faces off (forgive the graphic phrase) and the Malfoy family are just sulking around. Voldermot himself never gets to show just how evil he is directly, another indication of a rushed book. The death of some (OK most) of the charcaters doesn't seem to have much impact unless they have been known to us for the last 6 years. As a reader you feel emotional detached from them. Not good. Jk herself is far too busy with writing out an encyclopedia article on Dumbledore's past for at least a good third of the book which means it gets pretty dull & you start to wish that both Voldermot & Harry both drop dead. However, on the plus side I think she explains Snape beautifully even though his *cough* end was one of the worst stuff I've ever read. The title is extremely misleading after you read the book as there is very little about 'Deathly Hallows' in this book. Plus, I think it shouldn't be called 'Harry potter and T.D.H' but 'the life & mistakes of Dumbledore.' Aside from all that, you feel that history is repeating itself in the form of Lupin and Tonks. War does that of course but you can't help feel for most of the book that Jk is being convenient for herself. She should have realised that some things are best left unexplained. Harry himself does not exactly mature & JK seems adamant to make him the unconventional hero which means Hermione has to do most of the work of course.
After reading this book I can't help but feel she should have wrote TWO books. Nonetheless, my heart warmed towards Harry as I realised as it meant that he couldn't be with Ginny in case she gets killed. They are meant to be! The little epilogue Jk did after the main action was nice break. But hell did come as a shock! All the sulky teenagers we as readers were used all grown up. Shock, horror!
on 14 July 2015
HP always very good books, although these were a gift, but I have read all the books
on 23 July 2007
Excellent end to the series and leaves a lot open to the imagination as to what could happen next. Parts are confusing and do require knowledge of the first six books to fully understand what is happening. if you're a Harry Potter fan it is a must!!
on 23 October 2015
Brought for my grandson ordered on the Sunday arrived on the Tuesday
Brilliant
on 17 May 2015
Loved this book. It was definitely my favourite but gutted I've finished the series
on 14 August 2014
Great book bought the set as a birthday present for a 9yr old!! Made her very happy
on 27 December 2012
It was cool as a cucumber and it had a lot of excitement in it.Hart is a good guy a
on 20 August 2010
My 8 year old is enjoying the book as much as the rest of the adventure. Its great.
on 24 July 2007
I agree with the previous review. It's absolutely superb, I'm very impressed! Making the last of seven books by far the best one is not a easy achievement! Now I'm just sad that the adventure is over, but rereading is of course always an option!
on 29 July 2007
I really enjoyed this book and feel it is probably the best of the series; it had all that it needed nicely blended and crafted.
I also think that JKR has done a good job of demonstrating that there is always hope - and the price paid by those who choose evil.
I think I shall leave it for a few months and then perhaps re-read some of the earlier books and see how appear when one knows the ending. Great stuff!